Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern Samurai Project Black Belt Patch Standards

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Bumping this up. Anyone here do this?

I've not done that as a whole set, but surely have done 3 out of 4 in other settings. I know I would not make it. I looked at this just recently, in light of MSP coming to do a class not far from me in summerime. My work took care of that consideration.

Like some other similar task sets, this one is very draw speed heavy. I know I don't have that draw now (25 yards to 8 inch steel yesterday reliably was under 2 sec, several good runs were at 1.4x, hands relaxed alongside the body, 15 lbs mainspring for ten-ish lbs DA pull in the Shadow2). For where I am at with time and ammo allowances, faster draw is near the bottom of my worries. You guys give it a shot, I'll cheer.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Bumping this up. Anyone here do this?

@Clusterfrack
    @jetfire
    @YVK
    @GJM
    @JCS

I was thinking of trying this with the 0.20 penalty from USPSA gear.

I think I could hit all the time and accuracy standards, but probably not consistently.

Anyone want to try this as a makeshift Drill of the Month since there haven’t been any new ones in the past two months?

From open gamer gear it’d be:
    1. 3&2 Drill. 3 yards. 3 shots to the COM Alpha then transition to 2 rounds on a 3x5 card in the head box.
    Par is 1.8 seconds.

2. 1 Shot Drill @ 7 yards. 1 shot to COM Alpha. Par is 0.8 second.

3. Bill Drill. 7 yards. 6 shots to COM Alpha. Par is 1.8 seconds.

4. 1 Shot Drill @ 25 yards. 1 shot to COM Alpha. Par is 1.3 seconds.

I ran them twice in a class with Scott using my 586 L-Comp. Once from AIWB and once from a USPSA holster. From AIWB I hit the par times on the 3x2 and the 1 shot, missed the par on the Bill Drill, and missed the accuracy and par on the 25 yard draw.

Scott and I also worked out that on the 3x2 and the Bill Drill revolvers get a bonus bump of 0.2 because it’s extremely difficult to pull splits faster than 0.20 with them.

I was getting .45-.50 splits, shooting a two inch square at 7 yards with a 396PD and an Acro. For benchmarking, how fast does Mr Miculek split a revolver, and what are competent splits with something like a 586/686 and wadcutters, and same question with some flavor of .357 loads?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was getting .45-.50 splits, shooting a two inch square at 7 yards with a 396PD and an Acro. For benchmarking, how fast does Mr Miculek split a revolver, and what are competent splits with something like a 586/686 and wadcutters, and same question with some flavor of .357 loads?
    That’s excellent for a target that size with a DA. It’s hard to say how fast the splits would be because of the aiming.

What is it on an A zone at that distance?

Miculek with his 929 (9mm) was getting 16-17 splits on a 5-7 y A zone I think.

Me with 9mm Speer Lawman from a 2.5” Nightguard (similar ballistically to the 135gr 357 magnum out of a short barrel) had splits in the 26-28 range trying to aim at 8” circle at 7 yards.

Max revolver splits for me are around 23 right now.

This is current and past multi-national USPSA revolver champ Poggie:

Eli at TK who built his says he’s at 6.5# DA. My 929 and Nightguard are at TK right now getting built the same as his.
    Last edited by JCN; 05-17-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Scott and I also worked out that on the 3x2 and the Bill Drill revolvers get a bonus bump of 0.2 because it’s extremely difficult to pull splits faster than 0.20 with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Here was an attempt at the 3&2 with a j frame from aiwb. Feel short but it fun.

That makes those seem much more attainable. This run was a 2.23 and i didn't know where to begin trying to make up .23 with the j frame, back when i ran one regularly.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    That makes those seem much more attainable. This run was a 2.23 and i didn't know where to begin trying to make up .23 with the j frame, back when i ran one regularly.
    Nice run. That was solid.

I might try and run the actual time standards from pocket concealment with an iron sighted snubby.
    Starting with hand on grip in a pocket seems like a reasonable trade off since that might actually be the way it’s used.

I don’t like relaxed time standards for equipment in general as a bad guy won’t care what type of gun you have and say “okay, you can shoot me slower because you chose a more difficult gun to shoot.”

But seems reasonable to reflect the real world pocket revolver advantage (which is being able to safely pre-stage the grip while still pocket concealed).

@AsianJedi

I’ll give it a shot. It’s a bit outside of my current capabilities but gives me a goal to work towards!
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I don’t like relaxed time standards for equipment in general as a bad guy won’t care what type of gun you have and say “okay, you can shoot me slower because you chose a more difficult gun to shoot.”
    @AsianJedi
    That leads to an entirely different conversation about how fast you could/should be shooting in a fight, and if you're shooting faster than your ability to process what's happening in front of you.

Back to the revolver splits, I found that with my tuned 586 L-Comp I can occasionally get into the high teens on a split. Next time I shoot Scott's standards, I'll just run them straight time and I'm pretty comfortable I can get under the pars.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    That leads to an entirely different conversation about how fast you could/should be shooting in a fight, and if you're shooting faster than your ability to process what's happening in front of you.

Back to the revolver splits, I found that with my tuned 586 L-Comp I can occasionally get into the high teens on a split. Next time I shoot Scott's standards, I'll just run them straight time and I'm pretty comfortable I can get under the pars.
    What DA pull weight does the 586 have? My 396 is 10 pounds or so on my scale, and I had zero luck slapping it like a semi auto — seems like I have one speed, and it hardly matters whether I am shooting a small or large target. I am hoping the 686 Plus I am getting from Darryl splits faster between a better trigger and a heavier pistol empty weight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What DA pull weight does the 586 have? My 396 is 10 pounds or so on my scale, and I had zero luck slapping it like a semi auto — seems like I have one speed, and it hardly matters whether I am shooting a small or large target. I am hoping the 686 Plus I am getting from Darryl splits faster between a better trigger and a heavier pistol empty weight.
    Mine is 6.5 lbs, which is pretty awesome

User Tag List