Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woobies

Woobies

Does anyone know where one can find genuine MILSPEC Poncho Liners (Woobie) for sale? I’ve tried purchasing on Amazon a few times over the last few years. The descriptions all say “made in USA” and “genuine military issue”and the tags look right, but when put next to my original issued one the material is not as soft and the filling seems lighter. A quick google search shows me most places selling “new” ones have the same pictures.

Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Does anyone know where one can find genuine MILSPEC Poncho Liners (Woobie) for sale? I’ve tried purchasing on Amazon a few times over the last few years. The descriptions all say “made in USA” and “genuine military issue”and the tags look right, but when put next to my original issued one the material is not as soft and the filling seems lighter. A quick google search shows me most places selling “new” ones have the same pictures.

Thanks
    Your local surplus store?

Has the gov't had numerous vendors / manufacturers? That will reduce the chance of finding a particular "vintage" unless there are distinguishing numbers, patterns etc.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Has the gov't had numerous vendors / manufacturers? That will reduce the chance of finding a particular "vintage" unless there are distinguishing numbers, patterns etc.
    That’s a good point. It may well be that the quality has changed for issue ones as well. I wish there were good surplus stores near me, but I’m just outside DC in NOVA so not much in that way. I guess I’ll just stop in one next time I’m near a big base.

Thanks for the replies.

Site Supporter
    I suspect that they changed manufacturers over the years. I still have mine from the 80s! Lightfighter!

Site Supporter
    While not exactly what your looking for, you might take a good hard look at this from Hill People Gear. Definitely going to cost more than finding something surplus but everything I have ever used from Hill People has been top notch.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/...4/ProductID/19

I have the HPG serape also and use it in the winter. It’s warmer than the USGI poncho liner. Old Grouch surplus shows some USMC poncho liners in stock in the MARPAT pattern

I have a couple thinsulate BQM knockoffs, New USMC woobies and issued woobies. The newest issued one was acquired in 04. The fabric in the knockoffs is rougher and the insulation is lighter, but they work just fine. The issued ones are pretty much all identical.

The new USMC wobbies are head and shoulders better than the old ones. Better insulation and a zipper.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    While not exactly what your looking for, you might take a good hard look at this from Hill People Gear. Definitely going to cost more than finding something surplus but everything I have ever used from Hill People has been top notch.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/...4/ProductID/19
    Totally agree. I love my HPG Woobie. It’s a fairly early example and I deployed with it a few times. I definitely choose it over the issue one for any serious use. It packs so small and can easily replace a sleeping bag in warmer climates. But the issue ones are great as a cheap extremely durable blanket. My kids always want to steal mine so I wanted to get a few extra.

Seems like surplus is the only way to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I suspect that they changed manufacturers over the years. I still have mine from the 80s! Lightfighter!
    It's funny that you mention that. I picked up a friend who worked an overnight shift, and we took a drive south to a favorite distillery. I threw my woobie in the car that I got back in the early 80's, since it was unseasonably chilly.

Good times.

User Tag List