Thread: First Glock, Recent Issues Question

First Glock, Recent Issues Question

The day before yesterday I finally got my first Glock. It's a Model 19, Generation 3. Made in Austria. Serial number prefix is "PUS". I got it used, but it is stock in every way.

I have put about 200 rounds through it since I got it. I had no failures of any type. I did notice on three different occasions I was hit between the eyes with brass. At least two of those occurred on the last round of the magazine as the pistol went to slide lock. The first time it happened I didn't pay attention as to whether or not it was the last round, although it may have been. Most of the time it was ejecting strongly to the right at about forty-five degrees.

I really like this pistol so far. I am just a bit worried that it might start giving me problems a few thousand rounds in as some folks online have reported with late Gen3 guns and Gen4s. Based on that SN prefix, are there any known issues that this pistol has been called back for an "upgrade" on? Should this pistol exhibit the Glock Perfection I am hoping for?

Thanks.

Based on the unofficial Glock serial number project over at another message board, that serial number puts your gun in the fall of 2010. My understanding is that the problem guns started showing up after 2009.

I'm not an expert, however. My research into this consisted of trying find out how old of a glock to buy to avoid the problems I had with a gen4. Some others may come in with different (better and more knowledgeable) advice.

I didn't come in here just to bum you out, though. AIM Surplus is right now selling police trade in gen3 G19 with serial numbers reported in the CY_ to F___ range.

Some others have had good success with Gen2 police tradein from the same source.

Something to consider.

Contact Glock, you may be eligible to get an upgrade to the newer 30274 ejector (assuming your current ejector is the older 336). The number is stamped on the side of the ejector.

Good advice given. I'm sure you could get the upgraded ejector. If you don't feel like sending it in, go to GSSFonline.com and pick the nearest Glock sponsored match and just show up and visit the Glock armorers there. They'll do free inspect and upgrades at the matches.

But keep shooting it. Glocks have never been renknown for tuned 1911 level consistent ejection patterns. Randy Lee has detailed on line how we worked through this years ago with Gen 3's for competitive shooters. The problem has gotten acute in recent years but your gun may run fine for a long while or forever or not. Shoot n' see. Ours from this time frame are running strong.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've seen the exact problems with several P prefix Glock 19s. Changed out the extractor with Lone Wolfs 1895 extractor, older glock extractors and tried the White Sound HRED with no luck. The problem got much better when I modded the ejector by cutting of a little so I suspect the problem is the 336 ejector. The guns would run OK with the occasional stovepipe every few hundred rounds but was obviously jacked up. I have a feeling that if I could have got ahold of some of the new 30274 ejectors it might have solved the problem. I have some on back-order and it will hopefully fix an N prefix G19 that's doing essentially the same thing.

I called Glock. (Why don't any of the people there tell you what their name is?)

I told him what my serial number was, and he immediately said that it should be fine and to go shoot it. (So soon that I can almost guarantee he didn't look anything up.) I told him I had put 200 rounds through it, and had brass hit me in the face a few times, but other than that it worked well.

He then proceeded to ask me what model it was, and what generation... after he already told me that serial number was fine.

I asked if I needed the new ejector. He said that if it is working, don't worry about it, just shoot it.

I asked if 200 rounds was sufficient to test function, or if problems could begin later. He said 200 rounds was sufficient.

I guess I won't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    I called Glock. (Why don't any of the people there tell you what their name is?)

I told him what my serial number was, and he immediately said that it should be fine and to go shoot it. (So soon that I can almost guarantee he didn't look anything up.) I told him I had put 200 rounds through it, and had brass hit me in the face a few times, but other than that it worked well.

He then proceeded to ask me what model it was, and what generation... after he already told me that serial number was fine.

I asked if I needed the new ejector. He said that if it is working, don't worry about it, just shoot it.

I asked if 200 rounds was sufficient to test function, or if problems could begin later. He said 200 rounds was sufficient.

I guess I won't worry about it.
    Disappointing CS experience! Hope it continues to run for you without too much brass face action.

Here is a link to post on another forum that did some experimenting with modifying ejectors.

tl;dr
    With some minor tuning to the ejector, the OP was able to more consistent ejection.
    A major factor in Glock ejection comes from the spring strength of the magazine. A weak magazine spring creates more ejection problems.

I put another 200 rounds through it today. I only noticed two abnormal ejections. Considering I was shooting junk ammo (Blazer Brass and some miscellaneous stuff I scrounged up) I'm fine with that.

User Tag List