Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just spent the week at FLETC.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You were there a week. Most are there 6 months or more. Some are there more than once due to promoting or changing agencies. Some of us have worked there. FLTEC chicken gets old quick.

Pam’s is an experience.
    Oh I get it. I've spent far longer at training facilities far worse than FLETC. I've also spent months at sea on a frigate, which beats them all. I've just never understood the preoccupation with food so many people seem to have, at FLETC or anywhere else.

I did enjoy the peer at St. Simon's. It reminded me how much I miss the sea.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The only good thing to eat I found in Artesia when I was there was Henry's BBQ. And by good, I thought it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    Brunswick isn't too bad for training. Living there long term with a family, not so much. Better off living in the Jacksonville area and commuting. DHS tried to recruit me as an instructor for Artesia, and although the facility is nice, the surrounding area is definitely a deal breaker.

As a whole, I would vote for Glynco to be overall better than Artesia if you don't mind the crowdedness.
    I spent two separate long term TDY’s to Glynco in 2008 and again in 2012. A total of 20 months. The wife came with me and we had a blast in several rentals out on St. Simon’s. Now in retirement and we are seriously considering getting a condo there. Walked the beach every evening after dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I spent two separate long term TDY’s to Glynco in 2008 and again in 2012. A total of 20 months. The wife came with me and we had a blast in several rentals out on St. Simon’s. Now in retirement and we are seriously considering getting a condo there. Walked the beach every evening after dinner.
    The Atlantic coast is "okay". If I were to go to the trouble of retiring on the coast I would much rather on the Florida gulf coast. Clearer water, warmer water, better beaches, generally fewer hurricanes, and a cleaner population to live around.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've just never understood the preoccupation with food so many people seem to have, at FLETC or anywhere else.
    It probably has as much to do with associating the food with memories with friends as it does the food.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've just never understood the preoccupation with food so many people seem to have, at FLETC or anywhere else.
    Try spending 20+ weeks there in a row, seeing the same stuff on the same lines day in and day out, and you might get an idea of why the food becomes a focal point. It is very much a component of the "groundhog day" feel for the whole place...

If the food was FABULOUS and varied, and you got to eat for free 3x7x20 (some folks get to spend 30+ weeks there for CITP and "add ons"), folks would have a whole different impression of the place. BLUF - the food sucks, you get no per diem to eat off campus, so it adds to the whole "prison camp" feel of the place...

Plus, the men's choir is HORRIBLE!
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 05-13-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Does it smell any better now that the pulp mill is gone? Or is the catch of the day enough to keep things smelling ripe?

Used to be stank ridden back in the day. That said, it was the source of some fond memories. None of which have anything to do with food.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

As far as I know, the pulp mill is still operating. At least that’s the explanation I give myself when I wonder why the air smells like a large septic tank ruptured.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Less food talk. More "No shit, there I was...!"
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    As far as I know, the pulp mill is still operating. At least that’s the explanation I give myself when I wonder why the air smells like a large septic tank ruptured.
    So that’s what I’ve been smelling periodically? Son of a...

User Tag List