Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just spent the week at FLETC.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    There are a few good eateries in Brunswick. Moondoggie's Pizza, Nakorn Thai, Zhang's Fancy Q sushi and Cracker Barrel come to mind. Nearby St.Simon's is definitely worth the drive across the causeway when you need a break from the DFAC food.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    No discussion of the culinary delights of Brunswick is complete without Willies Weenie Wagon.

https://williesweeneewagon.com

I met my wife at FLETC in June 1993 at an Intelligence Analysis class. Our 1st wedding anniversary is in July and we are spending it on St. Simons Island.
    Last edited by LSP552; 05-11-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No discussion of the culinary delights of Brunswick is complete without Willies Weenie Wagon.

https://williesweeneewagon.com
    I'll be at Sea Island for a week in July. Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I met my wife at FLETC in June 1993 at an Intelligence Analysis class. Our 1st wedding anniversary is in July and we are spending it on St. Simons Island.
    I met my wife on a NYC subway in 1986. Guess where we're not going in August? LOL!

Haven't been back to FLETC since the late 90's. (Can't say I really miss it, though I usually managed to have a bit too much of a good time anyway.)

Enjoy St. Simon's. I always liked it there.
    Last edited by blues; 05-11-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    As a whole, I would vote for Glynco to be overall better than Artesia if you don't mind the crowdedness.
    We had a few people in my class withdraw from BP (Artesia)... did not hear one of them say this is worse. Humidity does suck (pushed my 1.5 mile just over 15 minutes), and I’m down here through the end of August.

I could be fine with crowds... just separate TSA. Seriously. I sat in line 20 minutes because three of them couldn’t figure out the concept that because they are not issued exercise gear, that the staff wanted their IDs when they take clothes out. Felt like I had to draw them a map to help them understand.

Other agencies, no real issues. We all kind of crashed an Airforce party last night... and everyone was interested in what each other do/where we are going.

We had a CBP meeting yesterday, where we got to see all the trainees on campus, and was pretty cool to see how many. 800ish people, and supposedly will be over 1,000 in the upcoming months. But with that, always negatives... hence the reason for our meeting (had two DUIs two weekends back, so got “the talk”).

Food... meh. I tend to eat here, but I try to stay away from the “chicken.” One of the instructors pointed out that you don’t see seagulls on campus, but leave and go down the road... they are everywhere. [emoji1787]

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Nearby St.Simon's is definitely worth the drive across the causeway when you need a break from the DFAC food.
    If you don't hit Barbara Jean's for crabcakes and cheese grits, you're doing it wrong. Also on St. Simons is Bennie's Red Barn which is an excellent steak house.

The other hidden gem is Mud Cat Charlies. It's just a few minutes from the campus, to the north, and has excellent seafood.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Blackwater Grill on has been one of the best and most consistently amazing eateries on St. Simon's over the years.

https://blackwatergrill.com/index.html

Nazzaro's, Bennies Red barn and Halyards for steaks and Southern Soul BBQ are also good as is the Sunday Brunch at The King and Prince Hotel.

Despite not being the biggest fan of seafood I can also recommend Mud cat Charlies.

If y'all have a car and some time, get up to Hinesville in Liberty County GA just outside Ft Stewart and try Zum Rosenhof, a German Restaurant- run by the German spouse of a GI and one of the best German restaurants I have experienced in the US.

The Mill house in Brunswick (back gate area of FLETC) also does a pretty decent steak.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-11-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    We had a few people in my class withdraw from BP (Artesia)... did not hear one of them say this is worse. Humidity does suck (pushed my 1.5 mile just over 15 minutes), and I’m down here through the end of August.

I could be fine with crowds... just separate TSA. Seriously. I sat in line 20 minutes because three of them couldn’t figure out the concept that because they are not issued exercise gear, that the staff wanted their IDs when they take clothes out. Felt like I had to draw them a map to help them understand.

Other agencies, no real issues. We all kind of crashed an Airforce party last night... and everyone was interested in what each other do/where we are going.

We had a CBP meeting yesterday, where we got to see all the trainees on campus, and was pretty cool to see how many. 800ish people, and supposedly will be over 1,000 in the upcoming months. But with that, always negatives... hence the reason for our meeting (had two DUIs two weekends back, so got “the talk”).

Food... meh. I tend to eat here, but I try to stay away from the “chicken.” One of the instructors pointed out that you don’t see seagulls on campus, but leave and go down the road... they are everywhere. [emoji1787]
    The DFAC food had varied in quality over the years depending on who has the contract but in general breakfast is best with lunch OK and dinner hit or miss.

Just FYI guys you see in green work clothes who seem really happy to be eating at the DFAC are prison inmates they bring in to do landscaping.

DUI's are much of a talk. THE TALK is when you bounce two for trying to sneak a stripper from the Red Carpet on base in the trunk of a car....

Since this quickly devolved into a "FLETC cuisine" thread I'll say this: obviously there are quite a few folks around here who put a higher emphasis on food than I do. I'm not a foodie. We hit a few of the places mentioned during the week. They were fine, but I found most of them overpriced and nothing I'd go back for. I found the most interesting place to be Pam's #1. Not because the food was great, because it wasn't. Rather, the place was a shit hole cop dive bar and the owners were so abrasive that I found it to be a fascinating cultural experience.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Since this quickly devolved into a "FLETC cuisine" thread I'll say this: obviously there are quite a few folks around here who put a higher emphasis on food than I do. I'm not a foodie. We hit a few of the places mentioned during the week. They were fine, but I found most of them overpriced and nothing I'd go back for. I found the most interesting place to be Pam's #1. Not because the food was great, because it wasn't. Rather, the place was a shit hole cop dive bar and the owners were so abrasive that I found it to be a fascinating cultural experience.
    You were there a week. Most are there 6 months or more. Some are there more than once due to promoting or changing agencies. Some of us have worked there. FLTEC chicken gets old quick.

Pam’s is an experience.

User Tag List