Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 Mag thread- the good, the bad, the ugly

If the gun is built right it'll run on any mag that's functional.

I've used 9&10 round Wilsons, CMC, Metalform, Colt, STI, Mec-Gar, and Kimber mags with no issues.

I stick with Wilson ETM and Metalform 9 round Leatham mags as they seem to be very durable.

Mag/ammo picky guns have problems that only masked by finding the right combo of mag/ammo.

Fix the gun.

Site Supporter
    For my 45s I use Wilson Combat 47 7 rounders, a couple 47D 8-rounders, and Colt 7 or 8 rounders. My HD gun is loaded with a WC 47 7-round mag +1, and if I carry a 45 it will be loaded with a 7-round mag +1. I haven't had many magazine-related issues with 45s.

For my 9mm (which I carry) I use a bunch of Wilson Combat ETM 10-rounders for training/practice but I carry a Colt 9-round mag +1.

I'd like to try some of the new Wilson Combat 9-round mags, I bet they work really well.

I had bad luck with McCormick 10-round 9mm mags in my Colts, but some people say they work great in their guns.

I have a Brownell's 10-round mag and it works fine.

Metalform 9mm mags work well, but when I was using them in a Springfield Armory gun a few years back the mags started failing to lock the slide back on empty after a few hundred rounds each.

The new Wilson 9 rounders have been real good to me.

I've used round nose 124, flat 147, and 147 HST in mine with no drama.

My DW Valkyrie Commander 9mm Alloy frame is what I carry on duty.

The mags I tried are older CMC 10s, which were difficult to load the latter rounds, almost impossible to download by hand and very hard to seat on a closed slide. But they were 100% when i got them in.
    Tripps, exact opposite... very easy to load and seat but the top round kept sliding fwd in my mag pouches or in the frame. They ran 100% in my gun.

Have been using factory Springer 9 round MecGar mags with success and moved to those for duty carry. Every now and then.... I will find a dropped round in a mag pouch.

I bought some WC ETM 10s and WC Vickers ETM 10s and tried them out yesterday.

Years ago....I complained that I had sweaty hands and was always drying them when shooting.

Now....I complain that everything feels slippery to me.

I took my DWV out with my WC and while the worked fine in a controlled setting.....
    a co-worker who went with me to the range..... shot my DW. He is not a 1911 shooter.
    He slammed the mag home and before he dropped the slide....
    I could see in the ejection port and the top round was nosed dived in the mag.
    He hit the slide stop and it failed to feed the round.
    W/O thinking.... he went to clearance drill and tapped the mag which cause the top round to angle up at a 45 degree in the chamber... but did not feed.
    As he went to sweep the slide to the rear...his hand must have slipped off the slide....because it did not double feed.
    When he let go..... the top round squared up with the chamber and fed.

I tried head shots from 50 yards (supported) and my DW is a nice shooter..... but the mags... very finicky. I tried to download the WC by hand.... and had to keep the bullet up in order to push out. Loading #9 and #10 seemed difficult as my thumb kept sliding across the top. Plus I kept squaring the top round in the mag as it wanted to move fwd. Maybe they need to be shot more.

I am still using MecGar 9 rounders. About ready to switch to .45 acp.

In the words of Bruce Dickinson (yes... the Bruce Dickinson) .... I'm telling you, fellas, you're gonna want them 10s in your 9mm.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Wilson ETM’s for practice, Wilson vickers for carry all perfect thus far in my Wilson x-tac full size

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    In the words of Bruce Dickinson (yes... the Bruce Dickinson) .... I'm telling you, fellas, you're gonna want them 10s in your 9mm.
    Wait....Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden? I'm missing the reference.

I've had a Springfield Loaded in 9mm for about 15 years. It came with Metalform mags and runs well with FMJ ammo and certain hollowpoints, 124 Gold Dots if I recall correctly. It typically only sees range duty when training new shooters.

I had a Caspian based build that had an officer frame with a commander slide. It ran really well with 8 round Metalform mags but did not like Wilson ETM mags at all. It did like the newer Chip McCormick 10 rounders.

My latest 9mm acquisition is a Dan Wesson Valor and it runs great with the factory mags (Checkmate?) and Chip McCormick 10 round mags. It's a sweet shooter.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 05-19-2019 at 06:24 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Wait....Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden? I'm missing the reference.
    my quote is different but referenced the skit from SNL "More Cowbell" Christopher Walken
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

2nd, 3rd or 4th for Wilson ETMs. I can't even use the one's that Wesson puts in the box, so I bought me a bunch of WC ETMs. One wouldn't drop consistently when it went dry, so I recorded it happening inconsistently and sent them the video. They said send it back and we'll send you a new one. Can't beat that.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Metalform makes magazines for a large number of gun manufacturers. So the mag that one might be using is probably made by Metalform.

User Tag List