Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Carhartt vs Duluth vs ?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I was 1yr old.

How does THAT make you feel?

Chris
    Sad that you missed out on a couple of decades that were pretty amazing on any number of levels.

Other than that...nothing really, except that I wish you long life, younger brother.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

One thing I have noticed with these new DuluthFlex Cargo shorts is that the positioning of the (first) front right belt loop is less than ideal for positioning my clip on DSG J-frame holster.

It's not terrible, mind you, but I feel like the grip of my J is not tucked quite as well as when I am able to slide the holster slightly further outbound away from the center line.

I haven't yet but I'll have to experiment with various placements or with skipping the loop entirely. The other thing I'm going to do is try a slightly stiffer belt to see if it helps compensate for the flex of the pant.

All that said, they really are very comfortable.

Also looking forward to seeing how the fit of the long pants works out when they arrive next week, both for comfort and toting my Glocks, (or J-frame), in various holsters from DSG, JMCK, and Mastermind. I imagine I'll still have the same belt loop issue to contend with, but most of these holsters also have PTDs, so I can probably straddle the loop if need be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    One thing I have noticed with these new DuluthFlex Cargo shorts is that the positioning of the (first) front right belt loop is less than ideal for positioning my clip on DSG J-frame holster.

It's not terrible, mind you, but I feel like the grip of my J is not tucked quite as well as when I am able to slide the holster slightly further outbound away from the center line.

I haven't yet but I'll have to experiment with various placements or with skipping the loop entirely. The other thing I'm going to do is try a slightly stiffer belt to see if it helps compensate for the flex of the pant.

All that said, they really are very comfortable.

Also looking forward to seeing how the fit of the long pants works out when they arrive next week, both for comfort and toting my Glocks, (or J-frame), in various holsters from DSG, JMCK, and Mastermind. I imagine I'll still have the same belt loop issue to contend with, but most of these holsters also have PTDs, so I can probably straddle the loop if need be.
    My Ballroom jeans have the same issue, but it's not an issue with my firehose work pants. On the jeans, I run the gun closer to my centerline to keep the grip from poking out as much. I probably need to try a larger pad, the one on my DSG J-frame holster is minimal (made it myself).

PTD?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    My Ballroom jeans have the same issue, but it's not an issue with my firehose work pants. On the jeans, I run the gun closer to my centerline to keep the grip from poking out as much. I probably need to try a larger pad, the one on my DSG J-frame holster is minimal (made it myself).

PTD?

Chris
    PTD: Pull the dot loops

Yeah, I affixed a small piece of neoprene cut from another wedge, (a JMCK I think), I had used on another holster at one time. Definitely "minimal".

I probably should remove it and put something on with a bit more wedging action to tuck in that grip.

Thanks for mentioning that, Chris. I think I have a Mastermind wedge or two in a box downstairs that haven't yet been pressed into service.
    Last edited by blues; 05-18-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Just put a relatively fresh Mastermind wedge on the DSG J. We'll see how it changes the equation, (along with the other adjustments mentioned earlier), later on when I get out of my lazy Saturday morning retired guy gym shorts.

Name:  dsg j pad 3.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  dsg j pad.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  65.1 KB

(Pad gives a larger / wider appearance than actual size...but it's thicker and wider and more beveled than the neoprene strip I had on previously, primarily for pressure relief as opposed to "tucking".)

The stiffer Mastermind / Graith belt with the new wedge seems to have helped somewhat. After some experimentation, the best overall placement seems to be with the spring clip butted right up against the first belt loop. If I go closer to center line then the drape of the shirt is interfered with by too much bulk in the middle.

Off to the side, (hard along the first belt loop), allows the center line to look flatter while still allowing the grip to nestle in the small hollow created between abdomen, obliques and rib cage.

I'll call it good enough.

Phew...I need a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    This is yet another thing I like about Duluth. You can get their shorts in various lengths.
    I'm a short guy. I buy the 7" shorts so the hem isn't below my knees. The ballroom jeans are about the only pants I've found that I don't have to have hemmed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    My only complaint is they fade a lot. I have two pair that I've own for 3 or 4 years so it's probably not fair to complain about them fading.
    We wear brown pants at work. I have 4 pair of 5-pocket firehose pants that have been going strong for about 2.5 years. They are far more fade resistant than any brown jeans I've bought.

I have shorts in both firehose and firehoseflex. I'm looking forward to getting a pair of the 5-pocket flex ones for work.

On another note, the buck naked boxers are the best damn skivvies I've ever worn. Pricey, but Nothing else I've come across measures up. Wear them at work, too.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Blues- I’ll be interested to see how that works for you. I have 3 pair of 5-pocket Firehose pants from several years ago. They fit well (like jeans), but the tan ones are a little short (32 inseam). Oddly, the blues ones fit fine.
    In the last year, I ordered 34 inseams. The “rise” (crotch to waist) is much too high, and the pants are sloppy long, even after washing hot a few times. So I’m thinking that they changed their proportions since my first set of pants.

I’m thinking I’ll take the recent pairs into the local store, and see if I can make use of their ironclad warranty. They just don’t fit, so I don’t wear them.

But I certainly hope that the proportions work for you.
    @GyroF-16

Just for you, brother, I drove down to the P.O. this afternoon and picked up the package that wouldn't otherwise be delivered until tomorrow.

Well, surprisingly, the 34's were sloppy long on me as well...and I'm used to 32's being just long enough standing, and too short sitting (with other brands).

One of the two pair, I was just about walking on the cuff on one leg, the other leg not quite as bad. The other pair of 34's were a hair shorter but still sloppy long and would need a lot of shrinkage to be acceptable. The rep mentioned that shrinking is not the norm. (Wife does the wash on cold, dry on lowest setting.)

Spoke to a super nice rep from Duluth on the phone...as I was planning on returning the pair...but the return label was illegible.
    She told me to hold on to them, is sending me two pair of 32's and said if I don't like 'em any better to just send all four back together.
    So I'll see how they stack up.

The third pair of 12" shorts in this order was fine as were the first two received last week. I really like the shorts so far. Hope the 32's will make me feel the same way on the long pants.

That's my story.

Site Supporter
    Well, sounds like you and I have similar builds.

And, while I’m bummed that the original order didn’t fit you either It’s always good to hear about great customer service.
    Hope the 32s work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Well, sounds like you and I have similar builds.

And, while I’m bummed that the original order didn’t fit you either It’s always good to hear about great customer service.
    Hope the 32s work for you.
    I'll post again after they arrive and I've had a chance to evaluate 'em.

User Tag List