Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carhartt vs Duluth vs ?

Site Supporter
    VERTX - I bought the khakis without cargo pockets. I wear them constantly to my business casual office for work for 5 years - grey, dark khaki, and light khaki - got them about half price on sale on internet - best pants I ever owned. Still going strong with some fading and fraying.

Now BOTACH has the same pants with cargo pockets - I bought the OD green and dark khaki versions. https://www.ebay.com/itm/392185783573?ul_noapp=true

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I looked at the site and reviews last night and I was close to pulling the trigger with the current 20% off deal...but it sounds like waiting for the bigger sales might be worthwhile...plus I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sizing issues. I'd love to get it right the first time.

In the firehose flex, some folks recommend going up one size in length due to shrinkage...(Costanza!)

As I mentioned earlier, in 5.11's, a 32 length is great standing, and rides up more than I like sitting. Not sure where that puts me with Duluth by comparison. Will I be walking on top of the cuffs of 34's? Or do they actually shrink in the dryer?

Thought the 12" shorts in the same material looked pretty good for wearing around home and walks to the mailbox etc.

Has anybody compared the firehose flex to the "stryke" pants from 5.11? I've never tried either so curious.

The other thing I wasn't sure about, does the first belt loop on the Duluth pants get in the way of right hand appendix carry?
    I'm in the same boat. I got 32's (these are work pants, who cares) but if I was wearing them socially, I'd get 34's and get them hemmed.

As far as belt loops goes, my 36 flex's have the belt loops at 11 & 1 respectively. I straddle the loop with my loops, it works (though it does make threading the belt though a little difficult).

Attachment 38040
    Phlster Floodlight is the holster. It's been a while since I stuck a holster in these pants, I'd say I'd get the next size up if I was CCW in these. Ideal would be 37x34 hemmed. Anyone know why they only make even sizes? There's been a lot of times I wished they made a 35x33.

EDIT: Oh yeah, these are the "steel blue" color. One thing that annoys me about the Duluth website/catalog is the "drawing" style representation of their products.

P.S. Sorry for the dirty mirror
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-11-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Thanks, guys, for the info.

I decided to hedge my bets and order a couple pair of 12" inseam Duluth Flex Fire Hose Cargo Shorts. I wanted something with longer inseams than what I own presently, and it will give me an opportunity to dial in the waist size at the same time.

If I like them sufficiently, the next sale that rolls around I'll order a couple pair of the long pants for the cooler weather. (I've got plenty of similarly styled pants on hand to keep me covered, (so to speak), until then.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I know I'm a bit late, but at least I made it. Anyway, I've been unhappy with Carhartts durability, and finally decided to try Riggs ripstop shorts & cargo pants. The price was what I used to pay for Carharrts a few years ago, but Carharrts prices have got up significantly since then. So after reading this thread I checked out Duluth Trading. Honestly, I don't seen myself buying from them, their prices are double the prices that turned me away from Carhartt, $75.00 for a pair of cargo pants? No way in hell. That's almost enough to buy four pairs of Wrangler jeans, or two pair of Riggs. Yes, I know, I'm a cheapskate...

Never been a Carhartt fan but I have a ridiculous amount of Duluth clothing. Flex carpenter and flex five pocket pants are my favorites but my experience has been the crotch will wear out in 6-9 months. No bull guarantee is excellent, drive over to the store and walk out with replacements.

If I didn't live near a store I don't know how much of their stuff I'd buy. The crotch wear issue would be inconvenient if you had to warranty via mail. Some of their products have fit oddities where the neck / bicep / thigh areas don't quite match the rest of the garment. In general the pant sizing can vary between lines.

Site Supporter
    Huge fan of the Deuluth Firehose Flex Ultimates and the Coolmax Cargo pants.

For winter, gimme the Carhartt bibs.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Never been a Carhartt fan but I have a ridiculous amount of Duluth clothing. Flex carpenter and flex five pocket pants are my favorites but my experience has been the crotch will wear out in 6-9 months. No bull guarantee is excellent, drive over to the store and walk out with replacements.

If I didn't live near a store I don't know how much of their stuff I'd buy. The crotch wear issue would be inconvenient if you had to warranty via mail. Some of their products have fit oddities where the neck / bicep / thigh areas don't quite match the rest of the garment. In general the pant sizing can vary between lines.
    All these crotch issues got me wondering if ya'll are dry-humping cinderblocks or something.

I squat ass-to-grass (#slavsquat) during my breaks and for half my lunch and haven't had any crotch issues with my firehose pants.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    All these crotch issues got me wondering if ya'll are dry-humping cinderblocks or something.

I squat ass-to-grass (#slavsquat) during my breaks and for half my lunch and haven't had any crotch issues with my firehose pants.

I do the squat for a lot of my work during planting season. I run chainsaws when it's cold and do all that work, and landscaping style labor when it's warm, in addition to riding motorcycles. The dirt kills clothing, it's like working in an abrasive.
    I've shredded vertex pants at this job, Dickies are insanely uncomfortable, Carhartts are meh but sold close by, and Duluth is the king so far.

The coolmax pants have an awesome heavy duty elastic waistband, so buy a size smaller and you'll be really happy. My boss has a few sets of these light duty coolmax ones that have held up to the job for the last 2-3 years.

CWM11B
    I have several pair of Duluth pants and love them. I have four pair of these and wear them just about everyday. They are great when I'm running classes on a range:

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-d...nts-work-pants

The standard firehose pants are to heavy and hot where I live from mid spring until about mid November. I can wear the above year round. Luckily, I've never had any QC issues with their stuff. And if I do, through another stroke of luck the opened a retail outlet 20 minutes from my house and I can now shop and return with ease
    Last edited by CWM11B; 05-13-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks, guys, for the info.

I decided to hedge my bets and order a couple pair of 12" inseam Duluth Flex Fire Hose Cargo Shorts. I wanted something with longer inseams than what I own presently, and it will give me an opportunity to dial in the waist size at the same time.
    This is yet another thing I like about Duluth. You can get their shorts in various lengths.

User Tag List