Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carhartt vs Duluth vs ?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Carhartt vs Duluth vs ?

My "work uniform" is a company tee shirt and various jeans, or cargo pants/shorts. I've worn the Carhartt B342 cargo pants for years and am very happy, I'd be entirely pleased to buy them again. They generally look decent for about a year, and are functional for a good bit longer. Any experience with Duluth? You'd think I'd know someone who had them but they're priced out of the range of most of my guys. Any other suggestions are welcome. Cheaper option is Wrangler Riggs. I hate to spend the money and not like it. Not like Old Navy cargos, my wife got me those and they were destroyed in short order.

Cost isn't really an object for something I use daily.

Big fan of the Duluth cargo pants, and their stuff in general.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I wear so much Duluth I sometimes feel like a walking advert. Case in point, yesterday I was wearing their ballroom jeans and one of their polos. Today, another polo (but cheap Wrangler cargo shorts from Walmart).

Duluth wears better and lasts longer than any Carhartt clothes I've owned.

I don't work in trades or anything like that. I'm a desk jockey. However, I'm outdoorsy and like to hike, hunt, and fish. The Duluth stuff just lasts even when worn extensively outdoors while camping and hunting. I've never worn through a knee, which is something I can't say for Carhartt.

To offset the high price, I tend to do most of my shopping when they have season-ending sales or generous coupons. Because we have a Duluth store in town, I can get orders shipped there for free when I have to resort to mail order.

Chris

Timely thread...

I was looking into some of the firehose flex pants, (the lighter version, whatever it's called), and in some of the reviews the customers were complaining that the quality was going downhill and that the pants wore out fairly quickly in the crotch.

So, what would be the closest, stretch version similar to a standard 5.11 pant in terms of layout? Sizing? True to size, one size larger?

Length pretty accurate?

Thanks in advance.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Yeah I have a weird size. 32x36 in most jeans, when I can find it. But Carhartts fit better in 34x34. I have to try jeans/pants on, can't just order online. Duluth has a store about an hour away, just seeing if it's worth the drive.

I really like mountain khakis. I've got a few different styles for more casual wear, or heavier work pants. I've always found them very comfortable and they've held up well.

I have a couple pair of their alpine utility pants that are still going strong after 10 years

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Timely thread...

I was looking into some of the firehose flex pants, (the lighter version, whatever it's called), and in some of the reviews the customers were complaining that the quality was going downhill and that the pants wore out fairly quickly in the crotch.

So, what would be the closest, stretch version similar to a standard 5.11 pant in terms of layout? Sizing? True to size, one size larger?

Length pretty accurate?

Thanks in advance.
    FWIW, I find the Firehose Flex stuff to be too light and lack the heavy duty feel of the regular firehose clothing.

In general, I'm very frustrated by Duluth sizing. I"m 5'10", 185lbs, 31" inseam, and medium build (43-44" chest). In most brands, I wear a 34" waist, 30-32" inseam (mostly 30, but sometimes need a 32), and a large shirt. With Duluth, a 34" waist is too tight UNLESS it's a 34" TrimFit (trim in the seat and thighs, but looser in the waist). Otherwise, I have to get a 35" waist if the pants in question have that size, then it's a 36" that makes me look like I have "gone ass" disease. A 30" inseam is generally about right. With their shirts, I need a Large Trim Fit or Medium (I'm wearing a medium polo right now).

I've noticed a bit of wear in the crotch, but all of my Duluth Firehose pants are several years old, so I don't know if it's abnormal or not. I still have Firehose Chinos from 7-8 years ago, though they're a bit big on me due to weight loss.

The 36x32 Firehose Work Pants are a bit sloppy on me, but very comfortable. If I lose 10-15lbs, I can wear the 34x30, which is a much cleaner fit (I was there a couple years ago, but have lost the battle of the fork).

In the pic below, I'm wearing my 36"x32" Firehose Work Pants. You can see how the length is a bit longer than ideal by how they bunch up on my shoes. The waist is a tad loose, but the 34" waist cuts me in half. Those pants are 6-7 years old.
    Name:  IMG_20190508_151553327_HDR.jpg
Views: 2978
Size:  36.8 KB

These are the same size and style, but in gray (rear shot so you can peep my arse). The flannel is a Duluth heavyweight flannel, which I adore.
    Name:  pants.JPG
Views: 2928
Size:  25.8 KB

I hope this gives you an idea of how their stuff fits. I find their "tradesman sizing" a bit too generous for me and their sizing tends to run small (except their Trim Fit pants!). Very comfortable and durable, but probably a bit too sloppy for some unless you're bigger boned.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. That's helpful. I'm 5'10", 175. Longer in the leg...somewhere between a 32 and 34 length. Shorter torso. Not a lotta ass, nor huge in the thigh. If I get it right in the waist it'll probably be baggy in those two areas. If not, I'll be cut off at the waist like you mentioned.

I could just wing it and try a pair or two...and worst case send 'em back.

In 5.11's I never wore the lighter stuff. I've been wearing the standard canvas for years and they never seem to wear out. My biggest complaint is that they have no give in the crotch and the 32 length is okay when standing but when sitting it looks like a pair of clam diggers. 34 length would be fine sitting, but bagging over the shoe when standing.

Of course at 66, nobody's looking at my ass anymore anyway.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I have a Duluth store about 25 minutes away from where I live, what I did is sign up for their e-mail notifications, and wait until something I want goes on sale, and drive up and buy. All of the stuff I bought from them was on sale. Otherwise, I think they're a bit pricey.. I did try some of their longtail tee shirts, and found them a bit too long..if I wear them untucked, it looks like I'm wearing a skirt.. They have quality stuff, but it's priced accordingly, so, I'll wait for a sale, for me, that works better..

This may be a little too specialized, but the toughest work pants of my experience are the Filson Double Tin (two layers of fifteen-ounce cotton) work pants hemmed with leather. They are my go-to for when the weather is less than fifty degrees and I am going to be working outside. They are too heavy for any warmer weather, but they wear tougher than any other pants I have tried. In warmer weather or when I am going to be around welding, I like the Filson Single Tin (single layer of 15-ounce cotton) pants and in hot weather, I like the Dry Tin (11.5-ounce cotton) pants. The latter are tough but not near as tough as the wax-impregnated Tin and Double Tin pants. The Double Pin pants need some time to conform to how you move.

Two negatives:

1) Cost
    2) These pants cannot be washed or cleaned. Dirt is just brushed off the fabric.

The pants need a tin of wax applied about once a year, depending upon use. I usually do that in early October, just as fall is arriving.

User Tag List