Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carhartt vs Duluth vs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    This is yet another thing I like about Duluth. You can get their shorts in various lengths.
    Hopefully they won't look like I'm wearing a skort. (Not that there's anything wrong with it. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I know I'm a bit late, but at least I made it. Anyway, I've been unhappy with Carhartts durability, and finally decided to try Riggs ripstop shorts & cargo pants. The price was what I used to pay for Carharrts a few years ago, but Carharrts prices have got up significantly since then. So after reading this thread I checked out Duluth Trading. Honestly, I don't seen myself buying from them, their prices are double the prices that turned me away from Carhartt, $75.00 for a pair of cargo pants? No way in hell. That's almost enough to buy four pairs of Wrangler jeans, or two pair of Riggs. Yes, I know, I'm a cheapskate...
    Duluth is constantly running 20% off sales. Also a couple times a year they run a 30% off sale. The thing you have to keep in mind as you could literally set the pants on fire and then return them for a replacement. I have actually returned them to a store near where I live because I lost some weight and they didn't fit anymore. No questions asked they told me to pick out a pair of replacement I wanted. Basically it's a buy once for the rest of your life purchase.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    Duluth is constantly running 20% off sales. Also a couple times a year they run a 30% off sale. The thing you have to keep in mind as you could literally set the pants on fire and then return them for a replacement. I have actually returned them to a store near where I live because I lost some weight and they didn't fit anymore. No questions asked they told me to pick out a pair of replacement I wanted. Basically it's a buy once for the rest of your life purchase.
    I think the ironclad guarantee is meant more for an assurance of quality as opposed to compensating for either our weight gain / loss or personal foibles.

I've not yet returned anything to a vendor that wasn't an issue with the product itself...and if I've received fair use, I just discard and repurchase. Each will have to decide for themselves given their own particular circumstances. Mileage will obviously vary.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think the ironclad guarantee is meant more for an assurance of quality as opposed to compensating for either our weight gain / loss or personal foibles.

I've not yet returned anything to a vendor that wasn't an issue with the product itself...and if I've received fair use, I just discard and repurchase. Each will have to decide for themselves given their own particular circumstances. Mileage will obviously vary.
    Obviously the light it on fire comment was to demonstrate their warranty. Their warranty specifically mentions wearing out the clothing. My point was the premium you pay is so that you can use these things hard and they will replace them no questions asked.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    Obviously the light it on fire comment was to demonstrate their warranty. Their warranty specifically mentions wearing out the clothing. My point was the premium you pay is so that you can use these things hard and they will replace them no questions asked.
    I get it, I'm not judging.

LL Bean used to have a lifetime warranty. (Still do for certain issues.) Now they've changed to 1 year. Apparently people were returning items they picked up at thrift shops and various other schemes to the detriment of the company's bottom line. It was sad to see the policy change but these days I can't say I'm too surprised.

Hopefully my Duluth experience will be positive and I'll have a reason to purchase several more items I have on my mental want list.

With so many options out there, it's good to narrow down the scope some.

I really like the Duluthflex Firehouse Forman pants. Good room in the thighs, stretch without being too stretchy, look good enough for the office. Belt loops are well spaced for appendix carry. Deep front pockets.
    My only complaint is they fade a lot. I have two pair that I've own for 3 or 4 years so it's probably not fair to complain about them fading.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Does anybody have experience with 1620 USA? Fabrics are Durastretch and a supposedly proprietary stretch NyCo, and they are definitely a different price level than Carhartt or Duluth, but people seem to be very happy with the durability. I don't have any personal experience with them.
    https://www.1620usa.com/collections/mens-work-pants

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Does anybody have experience with 1620 USA? Fabrics are Durastretch and a supposedly proprietary stretch NyCo, and they are definitely a different price level than Carhartt or Duluth, but people seem to be very happy with the durability. I don't have any personal experience with them.
    Holy cow... $200 work pants!

Site Supporter
    For that money, I'm getting chainsaw pants.

I have lots of "stretch pants" from el'cheapo to Arcteryx and think one is durastretch fabric. In general, all of these pants have been absolutely bulletproof. The only issue I've had was with an Arcteryx pant getting cut in a rock slide hunting mountain goats. Never had a pair wear out, rip a seam, get a hole, etc. Have wore the same pants in the bush for 3+ weeks at a time, hunt after hunt, year after year.

Breathability ranges quite a bit and some will cause you to sweat the boys off. There's also a big difference in how the various materials feel against your skin and some need a base layer. I like stretch pants with actual belt loops, gusseted crotch and gusseted knees.

Patagonia has some options under $150. REI usually has several options and their own offerings. Sierra Trading Post and Fleabay are good places to pick up deals on these technical pants as well.

User Tag List