Page 97 of 256 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I made note on my letter that the sear pin has unusual wear ridge, the hammer hooks are set much further back, night sights were dim and just to make sure it was duty ready.

While they pinned my MCOP ejector in 2009, I dont think they will do it in 2021 so I did not ask.

since its assigned to me.... I will park my personal MCOP. If the night sights come back dim, I will just paint the front sight with fingernail polish (not my polish )

I will request mags, I am looking toward CMC RPM x 5 and buy a supply of recoil springs. I hope to purchase a 10-8 rear near the end of the budget year. All my duty gear will work with this piece.

And I will run this one hard. if I break it, I have a spare.
    Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to hear what they say.

I just picked up my Gen 1 MCOP and it’s soo much nicer then my later MCOPs. It has a July 2005 build date. Rob with alchemy is local to me and he and I are going to meet up and he is going to work it over. I’ll post pics in a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushca01 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to hear what they say.

Rob with alchemy is local to me and he and I are going to meet up and he is going to work it over. I’ll post pics in a few.
    Nice....

Rob made this one for me...

and Rob worked on this one in 2014

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

My new to MCOP Gen 1. This is my third MCOP, I sold the other 2, wish I had them back.

Observations:
    This is untouched from what I can tell by any home 1911 hacks, huge bonus.
    Barrel fit is really nice from Springfield along with the slide to frame fit.
    Factory trigger is HEAVY, small parts are all pretty rough in general.

Looks like a nice clean gun that will get attention by Rob whenever he has time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rushca01 View Post
    My new to MCOP Gen 1. This is my third MCOP, I sold the other 2, wish I had them back.

Observations:
    This is untouched from what I can tell by any home 1911 hacks, huge bonus.
    Barrel fit is really nice from Springfield along with the slide to frame fit.
    Factory trigger is HEAVY, small parts are all pretty rough in general.

Looks like a nice clean gun that will get attention by Rob whenever he has time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    VERY NICE FIND!!!! looks stock.

I would like to know Rob's opinions. I bet he says throw everything internally MIM away and go EGW. My guess HA!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive been getting some failure to feeds with my lw champion and my 255gr loads. Its the last or second to last round in the mag. Its very random.

It already has a fbfp retainer. I just think the slide is moving to fast with this ammo. The mags are newish. Im going to try a wilson 22lb flatwire spring to see if that helps.

Ive switched back to gold dots for this gun for the time being.
    Wilsons 22lb flatwire full length guide rod did the trick it seems.

Really focusing on accuracy I noticed the 255s shot about 6" high at 25 yards so looks like Im staying with the gold dots anyways

I made note on my letter that the sear pin has unusual wear ridge, the hammer hooks are set much further back, night sights were dim and just to make sure it was duty ready.

While they pinned my MCOP ejector in 2009, I dont think they will do it in 2021 so I did not ask.

since its assigned to me.... I will park my personal MCOP. If the night sights come back dim, I will just paint the front sight with fingernail polish (not my polish )

I will request mags, I am looking toward CMC RPM x 5 and buy a supply of recoil springs. I hope to purchase a 10-8 rear near the end of the budget year. All my duty gear will work with this piece.

And I will run this one hard. if I break it, I have a spare.

Well Hell,

a little miffed at Springfield. I get a phone call today saying the Gen 1 MCOP is ready and the COST is $217.

I said WHA WHA WHAT! I told the person that my letter specifically said any costs for repairs needs to be communicated to me as I would have to get them approved.

They were supposed to send me an itemized list and I know the biggest cost was night sight replacement and they installed a thumb safety. I was running late for a review board and told that person I needed to review charges.

Still waiting on the list.

I will call them back tomorrow as some of their services should have been communicated to me.

I better hone my communication skills with Admin.

Well Hell,

a little miffed at Springfield. I get a phone call today saying the Gen 1 MCOP is ready and the COST is $217.

I said WHA WHA WHAT! I told the person that my letter specifically said any costs for repairs needs to be communicated to me as I would have to get them approved.

They were supposed to send me an itemized list and I know the biggest cost was night sight replacement and they installed a thumb safety. I was running late for a review board and told that person I needed to review charges.

Still waiting on the list.

I will call them back tomorrow as some of their services should have been communicated to me.

I better hone my communication skills with Admin.
    It is outstanding that the gun in question is duty issued. I've been hoping for years that 1911s would be approved for duty carry in my neck of the woods. Shooting "team" has them but alas, 45ACP is too awesome for rank and file folks!

From a "training" standpoint I wish the decision makers would come watch firearms training. As soon as the required training is done and guys are off the clock, the range continues to get used. When on our own time, you see the "duty issued" or "duty qualified" guns get dumped for other choices. No reason a large swath of those choices couldn't be approved for duty carry on someone's own dime!

I'd happily eat the $200+ charge to get my personally owned 1911 into the duty holster. Good luck on the admin explanation. I had something similar occur about 2 weeks back. Thankfully my management "gets it" and it wasn't anything more than a hey stuff happens 15 second conversation.

For those of you that have the option to carry a 1911 on duty, and consistent with the rigors of keeping them running (as per the original purpose of this thread), what makes you choose this over other options out there?

ETA: I carry a 1911 almost every day but I am a concealed carry guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    For those of you that have the option to carry a 1911 on duty, and consistent with the rigors of keeping them running (as per the original purpose of this thread), what makes you choose this over other options out there?

Ive never carried a 1911 professionally but supose this would be a good place to link this old article.
    https://soldiersystems.net/2015/10/0...in-compromise/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

For me, it mostly comes down to fit. Grip circumference and trigger reach are crucial for me, along with holster selection. The G48, P365, etc. don't have a large selection of duty holsters available.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List