Page 94 of 104 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 1033

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

  1. #931
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @03RN any idea on what your mainspring weight is?
    Either 19 or 23lbs. Id have to disassemble and compare it.

  2. #932
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    If you need a 22lb recoil spring in that gun do you have any concerns about the frame cracking? Or will it not be shot that much?

    I'm honestly curious to hear what you say about it -- I carry a Lightweight Government but practice with an all-steel gun to limit the stress on the alloy frame.
    I wouldn't want the 255 to be the only ammo I shot. I would be concerned if I did a lot of shooting with them in the LW gun but its just a carry round. I just need it to be reliable

    My 5" loaded gets shot a lot more.

  3. #933
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @03RN - The only eight-round mags my Commander will run with are the ETMs, but is fine with most seven-round mags. It also took a 20-lb recoil spring, a 23-lb mainspring, and a square-bottomed firing pin stop to get it to run reliably with full-power ammo. Commander-size 1911s are the needy, whiny little bitches of the defensive handgun world.
    Yeah, I know. Ill double check my mainspring

  4. #934
    Hobbyist JAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    . Commander-size 1911s are the needy, whiny little bitches of the defensive handgun world.
    Nope. Got bunches of them and they run like raped apes. Wilson 47Ds, factory spring weights, moderate lube, carry one every day.

  5. #935
    I have a theory but I would like to get some opinions as to what I experienced today with 10 round mags (and in the past, therefore I dont use them for duty)

    We had a training day and I used my personal MCOP. Some of the drills were going to be in the 10 round range..... so I grabbed a couple of my older CMC 10s and a couple of older WC 10s.

    99.9% of the time, I chamber a round using the slide stop and I know yanking the slide back by hand gives you a touch more oooomphhhh.

    I have zero issues feeding with 10s when shooting, but when I first load with a 10 using the slide stop..... I get a fail to feed. I "tap" the mag base (ok, slap) and it goes forward into battery.

    It does it with older CMC, my older WC and I have one new CMC RPM 10 and it does the same thing. The all run fine when I shoot.

    So to wrap up, this only occurs slide stop load with 10s. I did a couple of slide rack loads with the 10s and no issues surfaced today.

    No issues with my CMC 8s. I carry those on duty.

    I run 16 lbs recoil and 23 lbs mainspring. I change my recoil spring about every 2-3K. I lubed last night.

    This piece has 15K through the tube and the slide to frame fit is not snug but barrel fit is tight. I dont recall this happening early on when I first got it but for the past few years... I wont use 10s on duty for this particular issue.

    My MCOP is not stock but tuned by SACS back in 2009 and then Hilton Yam filed on my extractor in 2012.


    So what is the deal with 2 extra rounds? additional friction placed on the stripper rail? Does the mag base "slap" cause the rounds to "spring" in the mag body thus reducing friction on the stripper rail allowing that top round to feed? I have never tested this using 10s downloaded.

    Opinions welcomed.

    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

  6. #936
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Away, away, away, down.......
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I have a theory but I would like to get some opinions as to what I experienced today with 10 round mags (and in the past, therefore I dont use them for duty)

    We had a training day and I used my personal MCOP. Some of the drills were going to be in the 10 round range..... so I grabbed a couple of my older CMC 10s and a couple of older WC 10s.

    99.9% of the time, I chamber a round using the slide stop and I know yanking the slide back by hand gives you a touch more oooomphhhh.

    I have zero issues feeding with 10s when shooting, but when I first load with a 10 using the slide stop..... I get a fail to feed. I "tap" the mag base (ok, slap) and it goes forward into battery.

    It does it with older CMC, my older WC and I have one new CMC RPM 10 and it does the same thing. The all run fine when I shoot.

    So to wrap up, this only occurs slide stop load with 10s. I did a couple of slide rack loads with the 10s and no issues surfaced today.

    No issues with my CMC 8s. I carry those on duty.

    I run 16 lbs recoil and 23 lbs mainspring. I change my recoil spring about every 2-3K. I lubed last night.

    This piece has 15K through the tube and the slide to frame fit is not snug but barrel fit is tight. I dont recall this happening early on when I first got it but for the past few years... I wont use 10s on duty for this particular issue.

    My MCOP is not stock but tuned by SACS back in 2009 and then Hilton Yam filed on my extractor in 2012.


    So what is the deal with 2 extra rounds? additional friction placed on the stripper rail? Does the mag base "slap" cause the rounds to "spring" in the mag body thus reducing friction on the stripper rail allowing that top round to feed? I have never tested this using 10s downloaded.

    Opinions welcomed.
    Have you tried running an 18.5lb recoil spring?

    When I was using CMC mags for limited 10 back in the day I was running an 18.5lb recoil spring and never had a problem with slide lock reloads until I got lazy and didn’t use enough lube failures to feed happened from slide lock or while shooting with them before I had problems with my 8 or 7 rounders.
    "I don't know if it is a placebo effect or not, but I have a growing feeling of well being that comes directly from my instinctual survival drive deep in my belly center”

  7. #937
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Have you tried running an 18.5lb recoil spring?

    When I was using CMC mags for limited 10 back in the day I was running an 18.5lb recoil spring and never had a problem with slide lock reloads until I got lazy and didn’t use enough lube failures to feed happened from slide lock or while shooting with them before I had problems with my 8 or 7 rounders.
    I did for a spell. 18.5 wrecked my right wrist. It was suggested I go back to 16 lbs and change it more often.

    My pain reduced and 16 lbs recoil springs are easier on me.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

  8. #938
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I have a theory but I would like to get some opinions as to what I experienced today with 10 round mags (and in the past, therefore I dont use them for duty)

    We had a training day and I used my personal MCOP. Some of the drills were going to be in the 10 round range..... so I grabbed a couple of my older CMC 10s and a couple of older WC 10s.

    99.9% of the time, I chamber a round using the slide stop and I know yanking the slide back by hand gives you a touch more oooomphhhh.

    I have zero issues feeding with 10s when shooting, but when I first load with a 10 using the slide stop..... I get a fail to feed. I "tap" the mag base (ok, slap) and it goes forward into battery.

    It does it with older CMC, my older WC and I have one new CMC RPM 10 and it does the same thing. The all run fine when I shoot.

    So to wrap up, this only occurs slide stop load with 10s. I did a couple of slide rack loads with the 10s and no issues surfaced today.

    No issues with my CMC 8s. I carry those on duty.

    I run 16 lbs recoil and 23 lbs mainspring. I change my recoil spring about every 2-3K. I lubed last night.

    This piece has 15K through the tube and the slide to frame fit is not snug but barrel fit is tight. I dont recall this happening early on when I first got it but for the past few years... I wont use 10s on duty for this particular issue.

    My MCOP is not stock but tuned by SACS back in 2009 and then Hilton Yam filed on my extractor in 2012.


    So what is the deal with 2 extra rounds? additional friction placed on the stripper rail? Does the mag base "slap" cause the rounds to "spring" in the mag body thus reducing friction on the stripper rail allowing that top round to feed? I have never tested this using 10s downloaded.

    Opinions welcomed.

    You pretty much answered yourself there; the spring pressure on a 10 round mag on the top rounds is more than you'd find on a 7 or 8 round mag. The spring needs to be able to shove up that much more weight, so it's pretty beefy when it gets to rounds 8 9 and 10. This means the extra momentum that comes from yanking the slide back off of the stop when chambering is more necessary. The flip side of that is that a lot of times when it comes to feeding rounds 2 and 1, the spring can run out of puff and even fail to lock the slide back/not present the follower quick enough, etc. I'm not a huge fan of 10 round mags in the first place; too many compromises for 2 extra rounds. Wilson 8 round HD/+P mags are what I use when I feel like I need more than the JMB-alloted 7 rounds at any one time.

  9. #939
    Site Supporter farscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Athens, AL, USA
    Same reason I do not use eight-round magazines is the reason I do not use ten-round magazines except for range usage. To get the last round in the magazines to feed, the spring has to be stouter than the original seven-round design. So a fully loaded magazine exerts more force on the magazine feed lips and on the disconnect rail. Ever try to insert an eight-round magazine on a closed slide and find the magazine difficult to seat? Yet lock the slide open and the magazine seats with no issue. That difference is the extra force on the disconnect rail which further compresses the magazine spring to get the magazine to seat with the side in battery. So now the magazine is seated at slide lock and the slide release is depressed. The slide starts forward and is slowed and/or stopped by the extra force pushing on the disconnect rail. Stoppage.

    Then you "tap" and the inertia of the whole stack decreases to reduce the force on the disconnect rail enough to allow the slide to go home, chambering the round.

    With a round chambered, a full magazine should not need excessive force to seat. If it does, the magazine is likely to induce stoppages. it is also likely to contact the ejector when being slammed home unless the ejector has been relieved to avoid that issue.

  10. #940
    Site Supporter CSW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire.
    I have 4 types of magazines for my 1911's.

    The factory Springfield 9 round.
    Checkmate 9 round.
    Ed Brown 9 round.
    And,
    Wilson/Vickers 10 round.

    The same experience with the Wilson mags, wherein at times, I've had a 'bobble' whilst feeding the last round.
    Both 1911's are Springfield 9mm Champion Range officers, both factory stock, except for the parkerized model has a Wilson ambi added, the RO Elite came with the ambi.

    Springfield mags run fine, but even after years with the gun, to feed that 9th round into the mag takes the strength of Godzilla. Got 6 of them, every one of them is the same. I leave them at 8 rounds at this time without failure.

    Zero issues with the Checkmates.

    The Ed Brown mags are flawless, and really well built.

    03RN:

    Years ago I owned a Springer Champ in 45, and found that the gun ran BEST in my case on the Springfield NM mags that came with it and they offered on their store at the time.
    Have you tried those?
    I may have contracted Wobbly Possum Disease.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •