Page 88 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Gen 1 MCOP came my way. I need to check it. It will be assigned to me so it will end up for duty carry.

I think I have a junker MSH magwell that I need to put the guts in and drop this ILS and run some rounds through it.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

If I shake the gun, and it cycles....
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If I shake the gun, and it cycles....
    I’m not very good at keeping round counts. My replacement cycle is pretty close to this. Full disclosure I practice mostly with low power reloads. So I can get away with it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Gen 1 MCOP came my way. I need to check it. It will be assigned to me so it will end up for duty carry.

I think I have a junker MSH magwell that I need to put the guts in and drop this ILS and run some rounds through it.

That's a helluva good score there, if I don't say so myself. You said it will be assigned to you so I am guessing it isn't won't be a personal weapon? Pretty good almost duplicate to take the place of yours, in my opinion.

More to the point of the question above, I change my recoil springs every 3,000-5,000 rounds. It also depends on how much dry fire I do and of course with the hand cycling of the weapon. While the gun isn't under full load while cycling the weapon, I do count those as 1 round through the spring (I estimate and don't keep a firm number on that). I've also been using Wilson shok-buffs in my guns that don't get carried and cycle those out around 500 rounds for a new one. I don't believe or feel that the buffer reduces felt recoil but based on some dudes past advice that shoot way more than me, they feel it slows down on the wear and tear of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    You said it will be assigned to you so I am guessing it isn't won't be a personal weapon?
    you are correct. It will belong to the dept and assigned to me. Since its a dept weapon, the night sights are dead and there are no mags.... so I need to justify to admin for the purchase of this equipment.

I will work on getting mags first and run it with dead sights.

I will also re spring the entire piece since its a early model. Well before 2008.

I brought it home to clean up this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    you are correct. It will belong to the dept and assigned to me. Since its a dept weapon, the night sights are dead and there are no mags.... so I need to justify to admin for the purchase of this equipment.

I will work on getting mags first and run it with dead sights.

I will also re spring the entire piece since its a early model. Well before 2008.

I brought it home to clean up this weekend.
    I am not LEO but I have been told that duty guns cannot usually be modified in any way without prior approval... do you have to get permission to freshen that up before it is carried or put back into service? Springs and sights and magazines? Sorry if I am repeating you.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I am not LEO but I have been told that duty guns cannot usually be modified in any way without prior approval... do you have to get permission to freshen that up before it is carried or put back into service? Springs and sights and magazines? Sorry if I am repeating you.
    The answer will be specific per agency. My previous agency had such a policy, but as a certified armorer, I was prepared to argue "modified" v. "accessorized".
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I am the guy in charge of that and a LE 1911 armorer.

I plan to run at least 500 plus through it before I attempt to carry.

I took it apart and found the usual MIM stuff and glued ejector. The sear pin is odd in that it has a raised edge. This piece has been shot but not to the point of wearing an edge on the sear pin. The trigger and sear pin have rough ends. My guess those pins are not original as the thumb safety is not a Springer part either.

Barrel hood has some slight push. The extractor had zero tension on it. The other odd thing I noticed is the dust cover edges are not even. The night sights still work, just faint. I will paint the front sight as a temp fix.

I plan to replace worn parts and springs with quality replacements and if it runs 100% with acceptable duty accuracy... I will carry this one on duty. A co-worker will inspect this firearm and it must meet duty specs/documentation.

someone started an idiot scratch.... I made an adjustment to prevent that.

here is the dust cover thickness differences.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 02-13-2021 at 01:58 AM.

Is it an option to return it to SA for warranty service? I would think SA would be amenable, especially for a LE weapon. I would not be surprised if SA provided updated sights for gratis or for much less than retail.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Is it an option to return it to SA for warranty service? I would think SA would be amenable, especially for a LE weapon. I would not be surprised if SA provided updated sights for gratis or for much less than retail.
    Thats a really good point.

User Tag List