Page 70 of 257 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    ETM's are ugly in pistols without a magwell. Some people want the 8rd and good looks too
    I haven't carried a 1911 in a while but when I did and no magwell, it would be a flush base plate in the gun (for the lower profile) and an extended base plate/bumper pad on the reloads (for more positive seating).

I have 25 year old 47Ds with thousands of rounds, many of which have been left loaded for years at a stretch, which function fine. They have been shake and bake painted and some have low profile steel bases installed, but they all have the original spring and follower.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    ETM's are ugly in pistols without a magwell. Some people want the 8rd and good looks too
    Good point. The ETMs with the plastic base pads are ugly in a non-magwell gun. The metal basepads are a little better looking but still look odd.

#magwellmasterrace

Too soon?🤔
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    So who do we like for 10mm mags?

ETA: I’m not looking to run any of the hot “wilderness defense” type ammo. Just standard ots loads that people bitch about being too weak.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 12-11-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

ETA: I’m not looking to run any of the hot “wilderness defense” type ammo. Just standard ots loads that people bitch about being too weak.
    Any of the decent 45 mags will treat you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

Tripp, hands down IMO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Any of the decent 45 mags will treat you well.
    +1; a less well known fact right there!!

12 years MCOP

I bought this gun used...... it would have been 2008 as that is when we were approved for 1911 duty carry.

Did not stay stock for long..... went to SACS (the good ol days) and the only original parts are the barrel, frame, slide and MIM ejector (pinned). The disconnector might still be factory MIM, but everything else was changed out (10-8, WC, S&A and EGW)

I had a Friday afternoon or Monday morning front dovetail as a sight would slide in and out. I sent it to Dawson so they could fit a front sight but I recall them calling me saying I modified. I had to argue on that one.

I did have some locking up issues (round was wedged in magazine and chamber) which Hilton Yam ID as the Gen 1 slide stop. He suggested I try the Gen 2 and never had a problem again. It might have been tolerancing stacking.

I had been running the same CMC Power Mags (I did changes springs as some point), I cracked the WC BP firing pin stop and I finally settled on the WC BP Ambi Safety. In my opinion.... one of the best ambi's.

I discovered my big meat hooks were causing damage to the frame with the thumb safety and someone smarter than me here on the net ID'ed the issue.... I filed the inside flat of the thumb safety and it stopped digging into my frame.

Today, I noticed alot of build up at the end of my barrel. I recall scrubbing it one time years ago... but I dug out my old jar of "scrubbing bubbles" and kroil and got the majority of it out. After 15K of hard use.... its ready for another 15k. Still a good shooter and duty piece.

I found an old set of VZ 10-8s..... and will use them instead of the el cheapo MagPuls.

if there was one thing I wanted to do to this piece.... I wish I would have gotten AK black when it went back to SACS in 2011. I dont like the green but too tight to change. Plus its held up well to hard use..... I was hoping it all came off. I would rather use the money for something else now. Dave Williams also tried to talk me into a match barrel, I guess I should have listened back then, but the factory barrel is still decent.

Forgot to add, I dropped it hard one time (empty) and it jettisoned the factory ambi safety and plunger tube spring and detent. It landed hard on the grip safety beavertail (blacktop parking lot)

What do I want to do with this piece...... Optic all the way. I almost went Nighthawk but I am not sold on the slngle pin and its kinda pricey. I hope 2021 has a lot more options than just Trijicon set up as I dont want to pay for their night sights or mount. I am liking Primary Machine..... but I want to see a lot more options before I go in this direction as you cannot put it back on once done.... plus I need it to fit a duty holster. That's another story.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I bought this gun used...... it would have been 2008 as that is when we were approved for 1911 duty carry.

Did not stay stock for long..... went to SACS (the good ol days) and the only original parts are the barrel, frame, slide and MIM ejector (pinned). The disconnector might still be factory MIM, but everything else was changed out (10-8, WC, S&A and EGW)

I had a Friday afternoon or Monday morning front dovetail as a sight would slide in and out. I sent it to Dawson so they could fit a front sight but I recall them calling me saying I modified. I had to argue on that one.

I did have some locking up issues (round was wedged in magazine and chamber) which Hilton Yam ID as the Gen 1 slide stop. He suggested I try the Gen 2 and never had a problem again. It might have been tolerancing stacking.

I had been running the same CMC Power Mags (I did changes springs as some point), I cracked the WC BP firing pin stop and I finally settled on the WC BP Ambi Safety. In my opinion.... one of the best ambi's.

I discovered my big meat hooks were causing damage to the frame with the thumb safety and someone smarter than me here on the net ID'ed the issue.... I filed the inside flat of the thumb safety and it stopped digging into my frame.

Today, I noticed alot of build up at the end of my barrel. I recall scrubbing it one time years ago... but I dug out my old jar of "scrubbing bubbles" and kroil and got the majority of it out. After 15K of hard use.... its ready for another 15k. Still a good shooter and duty piece.

I found an old set of VZ 10-8s..... and will use them instead of the el cheapo MagPuls.

if there was one thing I wanted to do to this piece.... I wish I would have gotten AK black when it went back to SACS in 2011. I dont like the green but too tight to change. Plus its held up well to hard use..... I was hoping it all came off. I would rather use the money for something else now. Dave Williams also tried to talk me into a match barrel, I guess I should have listened back then, but the factory barrel is still decent.

Forgot to add, I dropped it hard one time (empty) and it jettisoned the factory ambi safety and plunger tube spring and detent. It landed hard on the grip safety beavertail (blacktop parking lot)

What do I want to do with this piece...... Optic all the way. I almost went Nighthawk but I am not sold on the slngle pin and its kinda pricey. I hope 2021 has a lot more options than just Trijicon set up as I dont want to pay for their night sights or mount. I am liking Primary Machine..... but I want to see a lot more options before I go in this direction as you cannot put it back on once done.... plus I need it to fit a duty holster. That's another story.

Have you seen the Chambers Custom red dot mount? Buy the mount from him, they ship it to a whichever gunsmith you choose from their list of approved installers.

https://www.store.chamberscustom.com...tom-rdms-plate
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List