Page 66 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    With 45 and 38 Super I don't have to be so concerned with magazine selection, ammo selection, recoil spring selection, ejector size and shape, etc...
    I don’t believe I’ve ever looked, does anyone make a good SD .38 Super load?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I would say that if I were to go the 9mm 1911 route, I've repeatedly heard that the Commander route provides good results; I think even better than a Goveernment 9mm, I believe due to the Commander's increased slide velocity.. Someone here more versed in 9mm's hopefully will comment.

Best, Jon

I’ve been down that road several times over the past decade and a half.

5” is still the best bet.

I have finally made peace with the fact that the magazines are just never going to be robust enough to actually count on for something that you’re going to use and carry every day and bet your life on at any given moment.

I had a DW Valkyrie Commander 9mm.

absolutely a dream to shoot, accurate, reliable, recoil impulse soft (like cheating), follow up shots in the .25 range or less with accuracy was boring and repeatable,

but those dam mags pushed me away.

and I still have these...
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Sig and Wilson Combat both offer 38 Super defensive ammo.

Site Supporter
    JAD may come along and chime in here. I know one of his go to pistols is a .38 Super.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I had a DW Valkyrie Commander 9mm.

absolutely a dream to shoot, accurate, reliable, recoil impulse soft (like cheating), follow up shots in the .25 range or less with accuracy was boring and repeatable,

but those dam mags pushed me away.

and I still have these...
    Those Metalform Springfield "front ramp" magazines work well in some of my 9x19 1911-pattern pistols. They seem to do better with guns with the feed ramp in the barrel, not the frame. Not sure why. They also feed better when the magazine catch holds the magazine just below the ejector.

That being said, I have about as many as shown in the picture. I number them with fingernail polish, so when one starts to not feed I can set it aside to be serviced. They also hold exactly one 9x23 Winchester round as the divot in the front of the body stops any additional rounds from being loaded. Some of them have been relegated to that usage so I can top off the pistol, holding one in the chamber and nine in a real 9x23 magazine. All in all, they are some of the better 9x19 magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Wilson (whose ammo quality I’ve had very good experience with) loads a couple of XTPs, but I have no reason to trust their terminal behavior. They load the Barnes XPB 115, which is on Doc’s ‘nice’ list and which I like because of high sectional density and structural integrity.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/38-Supe...8SU-115-TACXP/

That’s what’s in my gun.

My back up is the Winchester 125 silver tip. There is also double tap, cor bon, and Buffalo Bore.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Those Metalform Springfield "front ramp" magazines work well in some of my 9x19 1911-pattern pistols. They seem to do better with guns with the feed ramp in the barrel, not the frame. Not sure why. They also feed better when the magazine catch holds the magazine just below the ejector.

That being said, I have about as many as shown in the picture. I number them with fingernail polish, so when one starts to not feed I can set it aside to be serviced. They also hold exactly one 9x23 Winchester round as the divot in the front of the body stops any additional rounds from being loaded. Some of them have been relegated to that usage so I can top off the pistol, holding one in the chamber and nine in a real 9x23 magazine. All in all, they are some of the better 9x19 magazines.

Yep. Those Metalform Springfield mags are the best feeding 9mm mags. Wilson copied them for the new 9mm ETMs.

Partial mag reloads many times require the mag to be pulled out as the top round gets partially fed due to the tapered case locking the rim into the groove of the next round down.

I also had too many reloads that ended up with the top round worked out of the mag just enough for the bullet to hit the magwell and either not go in, or pop the round out into the magwell ahead of the magazine and clog up the works.

Sig P239 and Glock 43 are the best single stack 9mms I’ve used.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Yep. Those Metalform Springfield mags are the best feeding 9mm mags. Wilson copied them for the new 9mm ETMs.
    I agree the Metalform mags generally work well -- both the 7 and 8 round versions. The only problem I had with them is that I had several that started failing to lock the slide back on empty after a few hundred rounds. I did not have that problem with the latest generation of ETM mags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    My back up is the Winchester 125 silver tip.
    I thought they had stopped making that, but then I realized they now sell it under the Super X brand.

User Tag List