Page 64 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

one of the negatives to original Power Mags is the pointed edge follower design pops out, moves fwd when empty, makes contact w/frame and over time, creates a ding.

My hard use MCOP is evident of this which does not bother me. And thats where the Power Mag Plus comes into play....its the same mag body but a different follower which does not "pop" out.

you can see the "denting" the follower created on my MCOP just below the feed ramp. Purely internal cosmetic and occasional use will never get to this point.

I am at 15K with double that in dry drills and empty mag changes.

I do plan to get some "Plus" followers and try them out but CMC-WC was pushing me to get into RPMs. I told them I have 6 expensive and hard to find 10-8 base pads that I like and want to use.

I do have eight WC Elite mags (hardly used to new) and a couple of WC 10s that have been sleeping for some time.

When my Classic Carry ACW is in my hands (I am told soon), it will have 5 mags (I think they are ACT mags) and I will used the WCs and factories with the ACW.

Here is my MCOP frame.... look below the feed ramp for the classic CMC PM stamping! HA

YMMV

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    I've replaced the followers and springs in all my 1911 mags with Metalform followers and Wolff extra-power seven-round springs. The original CMC eight-round mags work really well as seven-rounders. I do have two Wilson ETMs that work as eight-rounders, they retain the original springs and followers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Does anyone make a reliable 10 round single stack .45 mag or is 8 the maximum without getting gimmicky and giving up reliability? Primary use would be home defense and range use so an extended mag is just fine.
    I used CMC 10 rounders to shoot Limited 10 in USPSA for three years (before single stack existed) and never had a problem with ball ammo or the couple hundred rounds of gold dots I put through them.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    For a .45 in 5" configuration, I have yet to use a mag that doesn't work pretty well. Durability is what you really want.

I've used CMC Power mags, CMC shooting star mags with super 7 kits after their native springs died, WC ETMs, Metalform 8 rd mags with round followers that were Brownells brand, and checkmate 7 rounders.

Basically my thought is... If I have a mag well, I'm using extended length tubes and getting 8 rounds. If it's a lower profile gun, I'll carry it with a 7 round mag that fits flush and keep an 8 round mag (usually CMC Powermag) as a reload.

As an aside, I have put literally tens of thousands of rounds through the Metalform 8 round mags with the round followers and found them to be as durable of not more so than the 47D I first bought with my first 1911. That mag gave up the ghost long ago (short tube with 8 rounds will wear out faster) and the Metalform mags are still chugging along, though competitions and training sessions galore. I'd put them on par with WC ETMs no bullshit.

But CMC Powermag or Powermag plus is my preference always. They're tough mags.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    one of the negatives to original Power Mags is the pointed edge follower design pops out, moves fwd when empty, makes contact w/frame and over time, creates a ding.
    It not only creates a ding, but can also prevent the magazine from dropping free from the gun.

I have had great luck with newer CMC Powermags, metalform 7 rounders, checkmate 8 rounders for Government model and the 7 rounders for officer size, Wilson +P's, the new Wilson-Vickers 8 rounders and the Tripp Cobra's

My 47D's were hit and miss until I just decided to make them all 7 round mags with Tripp kits and since then they are good. Lots of problems with Brownells branded 8 round mags that I don't know who the OEM was.

I too started USPSA in Lim10 with the CMC 10 rounders back in the mid 90's and never had a problem with those although I have never used them with JHP as street mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It not only creates a ding, but can also prevent the magazine from dropping free from the gun.
    I have never run into that but I would not use original Power Mags on alloy frames. The PM Plus or RPM is a better choice.

you made me go check my frame. Ever so slightly raised area around the ding. It does not impede the mag when it falls, but I am going to dress it flat with a jewelers file next time I clean it.

thanks
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Looks like I’m going to get to try the CMC 10 rounders. I made a deal on an XSE on another forum and I picked it up this morning. I didn’t remember/realize 2 of them were included.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

What’s the general feeling about Officer models? I know the CCO idea has taken off and then you’ve got the EMPs but is there still a place for the OACP?

I had a 9mm Defender for a short while and wound up not caring for it. Is there a major difference between the Defender and OACP?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What’s the general feeling about Officer models? I know the CCO idea has taken off and then you’ve got the EMPs but is there still a place for the OACP?

I had a 9mm Defender for a short while and wound up not caring for it. Is there a major difference between the Defender and OACP?
    An Officer model in 9mm is an okay idea if the gun is reliable. In 45 I say no way. The 45 needs all the help it can get from a velocity standpoint anyway, and reducing the barrel length that much doesn't make much sense to me. In fact I am starting to like my Lightweight Government model more and more for carry.

To be honest even with 9mm I'd rather keep with at least a 4" barrel. The Officer is 3.5" and the Defender is 3" -- that is getting too short in my opinion -- but not everyone sees it that way.

User Tag List