Page 59 of 256 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I've read this entire thread at least once, but still manage to have a potentially stupid question.

I replaced the mainspring, recoil spring, and firing pin spring in my Kimber Team Match II (5" steel .45), since it's had I don't know how many thousands of rounds through it with nothing but a recoil spring replacement a while back. The recoil spring is a 16lb Wilson chrome silicon, and the mainspring is a 21lb of the same type.

I don't know if it's because I have minimal experience shooting full power 230gr. .45, but the standard pressure 230gr. HST I ran through this today seemed to me to recoil way more violently than it should have, and I think the usual 200gr. SWC target load was also (maybe) a little stouter than before. Previous spring set up was a 15lb recoil spring and whatever mainspring Kimber used.

Before I start messing around with alternative combinations based on my own guesswork, any thoughts? Is that a setup that should be just fine and I'm just a commie who doesn't know what real calibers recoil like? Or is it an obvious "no, why would you use that combination?" Thanks in advance.
    Duty loads recoil more. This is certainly true of even standard pressure HST. If the gun works run it. I have 5” .45 1911s with 16, 17, and 18.5lb recoil springs and I care way less how they recoil (and they do recoil differently) than how they work. 21lb for a hammer spring (mainspring) sounds fine for a .45. I run extra power firing pin springs as a rule. If it runs I like a 17lb recoil spring to balance duty and practice, but would be ok with 16 or 18.5 if it makes the Gun run better.

I’ve had 1911s that wouldn’t run without an 18.5 recoil spring. Yes, they weren’t as nice as others, but I’ll take function over what “should be”. My Springfield Pro came with an 18.5lb spring, works with the 18.5lb spring, and so that’s what I’m gonna use in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Duty loads recoil more. This is certainly true of even standard pressure HST. If the gun works run it. I have 5” .45 1911s with 16, 17, and 18.5lb recoil springs and I care way less how they recoil (and they do recoil differently) than how they work. 21lb for a hammer spring (mainspring) sounds fine for a .45. I run extra power firing pin springs as a rule. If it runs I like a 17lb recoil spring to balance duty and practice, but would be ok with 16 or 18.5 if it makes the Gun run better.

I’ve had 1911s that wouldn’t run without an 18.5 recoil spring. Yes, they weren’t as nice as others, but I’ll take function over what “should be”. My Springfield Pro came with an 18.5lb spring, works with the 18.5lb spring, and so that’s what I’m gonna use in it.
    I'll echo this too. In my carry guns I run and 18.5#. I feel it overcomes a little neglected lubrication/cleaning schedule if laziness interferes and I don't perform a little maintenance on it for extended periods of time. For training guns, I run 17# as a compromise. But I do have 16# springs on hand if I need a quick change for whatever reason.

Using a stronger recoil spring to smash through an improper feed cycle is hilarious.

That’s akin to adding horsepower to get more performance with flat tires.

Stiffer recoil spring = more felt recoil and flip.

Fix the gun to run a 23lb main and and a 15-16 lb recoil spring and it’ll shoot a lot flatter.

Lighter mainsprings and heavy recoil springs make a gun feel smoother and tighter when you fingerbang it in the gunshop and that’s about where their usefulness ends.

I think BH Spring Solutions has come up with a good recommendation for recoil springs on a 5" Government 1911: Look at the case ejection distance and pattern. 4' - 8' is recommended; if the ejected cases are going a farther distance, you need a stronger spring weight.

I had been running a 15' Wolff standard spring in my SIG GSR, OEM spring weight was a Wolff 18.5'. While the 15' worked well in it, the BH SS provided a better consistancy, and was consistantly between 4' and 6', with no adverse effects on feel and balance.

My Colt Series 70 Stainless Repro has the OEM 16', and I'll likely be styng with that weight.

Were I to fire .45 ACP +P, or possibly lighter than 230 gr bullets, I would probably be well served to reassess my recoil spring weight choice (I'd probably move to a 17' or 18.5').

Best, Jon

I've run 16# and 23# springs in Government and 18# and 23# in a Commander; in .45, for pretty much my whole life.

230-grain ball and HST.

I only replace the mainspring if I replace the mainspring housing or need to replace the hammer strut or sear spring.

Thanks for all the responses. I have a 23lb mainspring on the way from Wilson so I'll know what weight I'm dealing with and can see what happens. Also ordered an 18lb recoil spring just to try, and a GI guiderod setup since I'm tired of dealing with the FLGR that's in it. Once I find out what the gun likes I'll just stock up on recoil springs in whatever the optimal weight is. If nothing seems to work I'll revisit the idea of a different FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

My Colt Series 70 Stainless Repro has the OEM 16', and I'll likely be styng with that weight.

Best, Jon
    The original Colt springs usually push 13.5-14 lbs.

Site Supporter
    I run a 23lb hammer spring and 18lb recoil spring and have had good luck running everything from barely major 230gr to full fledged HST +P 230 gr.

I think the gun tracks pretty flat for me. To each his own though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I’ll probably be fitting an EGW Oversized FPS this week......

Name:  0FDD8815-12F7-4456-A56C-E0978AF5D9CC.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  48.3 KB

Extractor is clocking and has fore and aft movement.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I’ll probably be fitting an EGW Oversized FPS this week......

Name:  0FDD8815-12F7-4456-A56C-E0978AF5D9CC.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  48.3 KB

Extractor is clocking and has fore and aft movement.
    excluding the extractor issues,

how is the red dot working for you on a .45 1911 platform with kicking 230 ball?

see an increase in follow ups or splits compared to irons with 230s?

I want that set up less trijicon night sights and need a working Lvl 3 duty holster. Those are my two holdups.... and yes... they are big and no where in sight.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List