Page 54 of 256 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

This is a Colt frame from 79-81 (I don’t recall offhand) that’s been modified. I’ve heard Austin Behlert’s name associated with this kind of mod but AFAIK there’s nothing to indicate he did the work. It’s distinctive enough I don’t know if anyone would have copied it or not or if it’s even the same exact mod.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

That sure does look like Austin Behlert's work. Any other pictures of the entire pistol? Behlert worked in a time when he had to make parts or make do with the parts he had. His work was impressive. I had the opportunity to own and shoot a National Match that he improved.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That sure does look like Austin Behlert's work. Any other pictures of the entire pistol? Behlert worked in a time when he had to make parts or make do with the parts he had. His work was impressive. I had the opportunity to own and shoot a National Match that he improved.
    There is one that Ned Christiansen maintains that has somewhere north of 200K on the frame and first slide. It's on m4carbine. Similar trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I think I found someone’s old game or serious use gun. Does anyone recognize this style of trigger guard mod?

Attachment 61366
    Safari Arms did this too.

Had a couple malfunctions today at a match. Two failure to feeds and a front sight that launched off the gun after the first shot of the last stage, but I still finished the polish spinner

I think the failure to feeds were from old mag springs and a fast slide. I havent fit the fbfp retainer yet on my new champion(4" barrel) so the slide is moving a lot faster than on my normally used 5" gun. The slide didn't even catch on the rim.

Could of also have been these new 200gr swc but i dont think so. The mag springs are probably 5 years old, remain loaded and shot every week.

Felt slow. Got the malf on camera
    Last edited by 03RN; 10-12-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Safari Arms did this too.
    Sorry, I lost track of this for a bit. I happened to stumble across one a week or so after you posted this. Semi-local place has an original production with the hooked guard and a later production after Olympic bought Safari Arms and moved them to WA. I'll admit I do find the earlier one interesting, is there any reason to walk/run away from it if it's in the $700-800 range (I don't remember the price offhand)? Lack of holsters isn't an issue to me...

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I found this interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Here's my 9mm Commander with RMR. I installed a Novak Rail. I sent the slide to ZR Tactical Solutions for milling. They also supplied the Trijicon RMR mount and installed the front sight and mount. They did a great job on the milling. Kudos to The Janitor for the inspiration with his CCO.

Attachment 58349
    With RDS milling really becoming a thing now, I thought this would be a better place to ask than the 1911 picture thread.

If you mount an RDS, do you have to go to different weight springs? I realize it’s generally not necessary with other pistols but that doesn’t mean that’s true for 1911s.

With RDS milling really becoming a thing now, I thought this would be a better place to ask than the 1911 picture thread.

If you mount an RDS, do you have to go to different weight springs? I realize it’s generally not necessary with other pistols but that doesn’t mean that’s true for 1911s.
    I have been waiting for other options other than Trijicon set up (dont want night sights) and duty holster options before I go in that direction. I am ready, but the duty holster for this set up may be years away.

this well worn piece is ready though.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I found this interesting:
    Hard fit is reliable too.

He fully built a Colt that I sold to a good friend who has put well over 100K rounds through in Single Stack since 2013.

Aside from springs and mags that gun has has a slide stop and front sight break.

User Tag List