Page 52 of 253 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

If I add an ambi, I add a stop on the port side of the frame. John Harrison explains it better than I can.

The thumb shelf on the right side must be fit so it bears either against the top of the right hand grip panel or must have a stop stud installed into the frame for the shelf to bear against. The joint must be a tight fit and the flat leg must not be sloppy under the grip panel. One way or another, you have to set it up so that when the lefty disengages his safety and then rides the top of the shelf, the force is transmitted to something that stays on the right hand side of the frame, rather than transferring through to the other side of the gun. The King's ambi uses a special hammer pin to retain the right side ambi. It's constructed with a dovetail on the right hand end of the hammer pin that engages a matching groove in the backside of the right hand half of the safety, keeping the safety from moving out from the frame.
    The right grip panel makes a decent stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is the King’s that Harrison is referring to. I prefer the King’s lever shape and look, to all others. Sadly they are unavailable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    This is the King’s that Harrison is referring to. I prefer the King’s lever shape and look, to all others. Sadly they are unavailable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doesn't the Wilson use a design similar to the King with the pin?

Yes. They use a special hammer pin to secure the right-side lever so you don't need relieved grips to hold the lever from falling of.

Personally, I've never had a safety fail, but I use the grip like @farscott does as a travel stop

I see an Ed Brown machined ambi with a similar trigger pin build - but, at this point, I'm just going to keep working around it for a while.

Yes. They use a special hammer pin to secure the right-side lever so you don't need relieved grips to hold the lever from falling of.

Personally, I've never had a safety fail, but I use the grip like @farscott does as a travel stop
    Unfortunately I have experienced a starboard size safety fail. I ride it when shooting WHO, and I snapped it off at the tongue/groove interface. The one I killed was a Wilson part.

The issue with using the starboard grip panel is that many grips do not provide support for the thumb safety. The grips on the pistol in the picture I used were made by John Harrison for that pistol. There is a long story about how I saw that pistol being built for another client (someone I know), the client sold it to a dealer I know, and I bought it from the dealer.

Site Supporter
    The Novak ambi also uses that design.

in our duty qual, we have a left hand stage that I wont make the time unless I have an ambi safety.

I am cheap.... so I am always looking for deals and struck gold with WC BP ambi that I found on a forum (new, never installed) at a very good deal.

they did come wide lever which was somewhat of a turn off and likely why they did not sell so the price kept coming down.

So I bought, got out my files and went to work.

(these are old pics and JohnK already ID my broken WC BP firing pin stop crack. It has been replaced with an EGW FPS)

no go

I did run into an issue where I would find my safety lever off in my holster and could not find the cause. I ordered a new plunger tube spring and the original was a few coils short. The lever rotation is much snappier and I fixed my auto rotate of the lever. What was odd is I could not duplicate the auto rotate but the levers were well protected in the duty holster.

I very much approve the WC BP ambi thumb safety.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

along the same lines but a different area of the thumb safety.... was a swaging of the frame. I always thought it was me and the design of the thumb safeties as I have large hands and very tight grip.

This happens to quite a few of my frames where I thought the shape or internal cuts of the thumb safety dig into the frame. see pics

this gouge was create by the original Springer ambi and single side EGW

one of the reasons I wanted to change to WC BP was the internal cuts were rounded as opposed to the Springer/EGW unit, so i thought the gouge mark would not return. I was wrong.

The second gouge in this pic was caused by the WC BP

A forum member on another site said those marks were coming from the raised areas or mold sprues on the inside of the thumb safety. Over 57 year old eyes, I grabbed the magnifying lens and WOW was he right.

The raised area of the safety around the inner lug appears to be my culprit. There is also a raised area around the main pin, but I am not worried about that one (yet.. HA)

I will check all my thumb safeties for this as I feel with a tight grip, not only am I pressing down on the thumb safety, I am pressing inward creating compound pressure and the raised area on the thumb safeties gouged my frame. No real damage other than cosmetic and years of frustration from thousands of manipulations.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 09-26-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I don't know if it's just this particular combo of grips and gun or if this tends to always be the case, but the VCD Grips I just ordered and installed on my Kimber with an ambi safety do interact with the right side safety to prevent it moving any farther than necessary (thanks VCD for the awesome grips by the way).

User Tag List