Page 51 of 253 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Wonder if Nighthawk does too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    In my experience with five-inch guns, Ed Brown, RRA, SACS, and Wilson properly fit barrels. Baer does not, using causing barrel springing. STI is hit or miss with barrel ramp angles and short chambers being issues.
    I'd throw the Colt Custom Shop in there too. Their barrels start over sized and are properly fit to each gun by hand.

Site Supporter
    +1 on RRA. Their poly1911 has an exceptional barrel fit. I have also had a very positive experience with Alchemy Custom Weaponry thus far. Rob prides himself on a hard fit barrel.

But I've also had good experiences with Springfield.

Two of the biggest barrel fit offenders I've dealt with were Colt and Kimber.

My stock Colt Commander which I rebarreled because the lugs were over cut and the barrel would stand on the link, and my stock Kimber Stainless, whose lugs were undercut and has barrel bump which required a slight dressing down with a file/stone.

Both have a couple thousand rounds down the pipe now and work fine.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think she's broken. Everyone assures me 1911s are unreliable finicky guns. Im up to 500rds with no cleaning(I did just clean it though) with ball, gold dots, and a hundred of my swc/unique load and I haven't had a single malfunction.

I realize 500 isn't a big round count but ive been assured by the interwebz 1911s are only good for malfunction clearing practice.

Oh well
    Don't believe those interwebz stories.. My 1911 has successfully navigated 2 x 2000 round tests that took months to finish with few issues. Good mags, good ammo and enough lube in a well built pistol is all it takes.

DW A2

I've had my Dan Wesson government model A2 for just over a year now. While I don't keep a running count total, I can say it has well over a thousand rounds through it with nary a hitch. The magazine selection is 7 or 8 rounds with the 8 round stock magazines and Chip McCormick RPM and Power Mag along with some 7 round Wilson Combat mags. A variety of hardball and JHP from various manufacturers have been fired. With the pistol empty of ammo and magazine, I can shake it and there is absolutely no rattle to it. I wish the front strap was checkered, but I knew it wasn't going in. Clean and lube after my second range session.

I've got almost a thousand through my Colt, 700 before slide modifications and at least 300 since. 0 issues and it's super accurate, I love it! Snagging a MC Operator to shoot alongside it and carry this winter, long live the 1911!

Name:  pony1.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  42.7 KB

Ambi's

Shot a 7-yard Dot torture the other day with my new Vbob Valor 9mm Commander, and shot the cleanest, prettiest target I've ever seen, EXCEPT on the weak hand only stage. That got me thinking it's time to do a lot more weak hand shooting with 1911s, and I suddenly realized why an ambidextrous safety might be useful. So, if I decide to go down the rabbit hole of running an ambi, what's the current thinking on a good part?

I don't want anything huge or gamer-ready. I do want something that's very positive - I've had ambis "wipe off" in the holster before without me knowing it, so I'm, pun intended, a little gun shy on taking this plunge.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Shot a 7-yard Dot torture the other day with my new Vbob Valor 9mm Commander, and shot the cleanest, prettiest target I've ever seen, EXCEPT on the weak hand only stage. That got me thinking it's time to do a lot more weak hand shooting with 1911s, and I suddenly realized why an ambidextrous safety might be useful. So, if I decide to go down the rabbit hole of running an ambi, what's the current thinking on a good part?

I don't want anything huge or gamer-ready. I do want something that's very positive - I've had ambis "wipe off" in the holster before without me knowing it, so I'm, pun intended, a little gun shy on taking this plunge.

Thanks in advance!
    The Wilson Bullet Proof is very nice: https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidex...uctinfo/620BP/

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    IMO, use of ambi safeties on the 1911 require a holster that blocks the safety from disengaging. If you've got that covered, the Wilson bulletproof feels very good and seems durable. I also like the shape of Ed Browns and Novaks (though I don't know if they have an ambi model)

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    IMO, use of ambi safeties on the 1911 require a holster that blocks the safety from disengaging. If you've got that covered, the Wilson bulletproof feels very good and seems durable. I also like the shape of Ed Browns and Novaks (though I don't know if they have an ambi model)
    I don't use an ambi safety but if I did it would be the Wilson Combat Ambidextrous Thumb Safety, Tactical Levers, Bullet Proof®, Stainless, 1911. It is the most robust design available.

User Tag List