Page 5 of 256 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    On Plunger Tubes

I like to run Pachmyer grips but they have ZERO plunger tube support.

Did a company years ago make a thin steel plate to be placed under the left grip that covers/supports the plunger tube.

I did a Google search and netted nothing.

The grips that support the tube don't do anything to keep it from coming loose, they just keep it from falling off or getting loose enough to launch the spring and plungers.

I wouldn't sweat no support.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The grips that support the tube don't do anything to keep it from coming loose, they just keep it from falling off or getting loose enough to launch the spring and plungers.

I wouldn't sweat no support.
    that makes sense.

It has never been an issue with my guns. I have the tools to tighten if they do.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I could swear that the Pachmayrs on the used Commander my dad picked up did have the plunger tube support, which surprised me. I may take a look again at dinner tonight.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

D&L and EGW offer thumb guards for 1911s the LT side ones include an integral plunger tube.

Example: https://www.dlsports.com/1911_guards..._housings.html

Oil to keep it sliding.
    Good ammo.
    Quality magazines
    'Bout it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    D&L and EGW offer thumb guards for 1911s the LT side ones include an integral plunger tube.

Example: https://www.dlsports.com/1911_guards..._housings.html
    That's cute, but I suspect completely unnecessary.

If your plunger tube comes loose frequently enough to require such guard - either it isn't being staked properly, there isn't Loctite in there to help keep it in place, or you have plunger tube mounting holes that are too large.

The latter problem could be fixed the "cheap" way, by using one of EGW's bolt-on plunger tubes. But I would prefer either welding up and then re-drilling the plunger tube holes, or welding the tube into place. But frankly, if that's really the issue, then you're probably going to need to scrap the frame and start over, 'cause I'd guess there are other out-of-spec places on the frame.

Plunger tubes don't regularly come loose.

In all my years I've had one exactly one loose one, and it was on a brand new Series 80 Colt.

A loose plunger tube is uncommon, but as farscott indicated in post #29, if it fails in a certain way, the thumb safety may not be able to operate. The tube's attachment to the gun should be monitored, just like any other critical area. Grips won't keep the tube from loosening, but they can keep the pin from entangling the safety.

I maintain that the gun is still very durable and robust. And even with something askew, may still run. I know the point of RR's thread isn't to declare how reliable anyone's 1911 is, but to identify failure points and weaknesses and how to address them, through preventative and service maintenance.

Site Supporter
    Most of the things I talk to people about prevantative maintenance wise are typically things I've heard anecdotally and decided to harden my 1911 against.

The only REAL things I've found to be reliability issues in my experience has been insufficient extractor tension, and (in the case of a cheap RIA) an extractor that was dimensionally incorrect and grip screw holes that weren't threaded. To fix that gun would have required extensive machine work that I didn't possess, so my advice is typically to avoid those guns.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Great information, thanks.

User Tag List