Page 41 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I have a Colt Govt that my dad gave me which will never leave my side. It was dedicated for accuracy type matches and was barreled and tuned in 2005. It ran flawless with CMC mags.

I wanted to make some changes to the Colt and I ended up sending it to David Sams who did not like the barrel fit, so did his magic. It was no longer reliable with the original use CMC mags. An occasional failure to feed which was not good for the match.

He said to switch to Mec-Gar 7 rounders which have been 100% reliable but ran into a snag.

My Colt has a magwell and I tried to drill the metal baseplates to screw on bumpers..... damn the base plates are sooooo hard, I could not drill a single hole. I dont have access to a decent drill press.

I ran last season with a magwell and no mag bumpers. It felt odd, but I got it done. While my SA scores were decent... my revolver scores help me take 1st by 10 points overall.

anyone know a shop that is able to drill and screw on bumpers to Mec-Gar steel base mags? I am assuming the weld hardened the base plate.

SA

Revolver

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Yes indeed... I send them out with every 45ACP gun I build.
    I guess I thought they were all 47Ds now.

I take it that you recommend the 47 then?

ETA: I went back and found the YouTube links. Good info, thanks for putting that out there. Now I Might need to grab a couple more mags.
    Last edited by Corse; 03-14-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I guess I thought they were all 47Ds now.

I take it that you recommend the 47 then?

ETA: I went back and found the YouTube links. Good info, thanks for putting that out there. Now I Might need to grab a couple more mags.
    Still on sale https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...%7cMake_3=1911

Guess my trigger bow needed tweeking. Wasn't dropping mags free. Ive got it now.
    Name:  20200318_104846_HDR.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  70.7 KB

Bump!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Guess my trigger bow needed tweeking. Wasn't dropping mags free. Ive got it now.
    Name:  20200318_104846_HDR.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  70.7 KB
    How did you go about doing that? Use one of these?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...e-prod788.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    How did you go about doing that? Use one of these?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...e-prod788.aspx
    Thats cool.

No, i just used my fingers and used trial an error

Ah. Yeah, I'm not that good.

Thanks to the extractor tips and info from @RevolverRob and @45dotACP the RIA/PSA homebrew 9mm appears to be up and running! I spent about 20 minutes doing the replacement this morning. I put it in my Weigand Extractor Adjustment Tool, gave it some bend and figured I'd start there. When I got to the range both mags passed the 10-8 test right out of the gate. After that I did 2 rounds from each mag with no failures and then loaded each to capacity and joyously emptied both without issue. Throughout the rest of the range session (5 hours worth) I would take a break from whatever I was working with to put another couple of mags through it. Ammo used was Blazer Brass 115g and Fed Syntec 150g. Grand total was only 50-60 rounds but that is way more than I've ever gotten though it without a failure until now.

Ed Brown replacement extractor top, factory RIA below:
    Name:  EB extractor over RIA.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  60.8 KB

The EB protrudes from the rear of the slide but it works. I might file it down someday. Or not...
    Name:  EB extractor protrusion.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  38.1 KB

Here it is as it sits for now:
    Name:  RIA-PSA 9mm homebrew.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  50.1 KB

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This was along for the range trip yesterday. RIA 1911A1ATacorsomesuchubercoolname. I usually keep my AA .22 kit on this but I picked up a set of Practitioners from @vcdgrips and I wanted to try them with the mighty .45ACP. Me likey. A LOT!

Name:  IMG_3008.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3007.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  53.7 KB

I picked up 3 boxes of 200gr SWC a couple of weeks ago. I put 16 through the RIA and the last 4 through my SR1911 Commander. The last round of each mag (a 47D and an ETM) through the RIA was FTEject and looked like this:
    Name:  IMG_3009.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  96.6 KB

The last round from the Ruger mag ejected fine.

It runs 230gr ball just fine, I'm guessing I need to drop down to a lighter spring if I want to run these on a regular basis?
    Last edited by awp_101; 05-20-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Forgot the whole reason I was making this post...dumbass....

User Tag List