Page 17 of 256 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    My Commander won't work with anyone's eight-round mags. OTOH, it's fine with McCormick ten-rounders. #1911sdonthavetomakesense

Who do we like (and who do we avoid) for 9mm mags?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

I’m using the Wilson ETM 10rd 9mm mag on duty with excellent feeding reliability. I use the Brownell mags as training mags, but they don’t always drop free.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrok View Post
    As a guy who doesn't own a single 1911 this thread has been fascinating, really makes me want to go out and buy one and learn hands-on.

I have two questions for the group:

-What's the consensus on longslide guns? I'm talking 6'' or greater. Are they less reliable than 5''? Do they shoot noticeably better? Are there any specific parts considerations for them? I realize this may be a question with unlimited answers considering how many variables go into a specific 1911, so if this is silly please disregard.

-What are the preferred extended capacity magazines? (lots of great talk about 8 rounders, I'm curious about 10 rounders though). Are 10 rounders seen as a viable or serious use feeding source for a 1911?

Thanks for such a great thread gentlemen!
    Hmm... can you articulate what drew you to read the entire thread? The guns we've been discussing are mostly along the lines of the classic 1911 formula -- a 5" Government Model or perhaps a 4.25" Commander holding 7-8 rounds. Saying all this talk makes you want to buy one and then asking about the best ways to change the gun from its standard pattern seems a bit inconsistent.

If you really want to scratch the 1911 itch, find a good Government Model and start there. That's a suggestion, of course you are free to do as you wish.

Site Supporter
    I've had good luck with the Brownells mags (rebranded metalform) and the stainless metalforms, as well as the Wilson ETM 10 rounders.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I’m using the Wilson ETM 10rd 9mm mag ....
    That's what ToddG ended up using in his 1911 endurance test.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8839

Site Supporter
    I had good luck with the latest version of the ETM magazines. They seem to work in a wide range of guns.

When I did the 2000 round challenge with a Springfield Armory Loaded Target 9mm a few years back it was with Metalform mags. The gun passed the challenge just fine, but soon after that a couple of the mags started failing to lock the slide back on empty.

Chip McCormick mags are generally well regarded, but the 9mm ones did not work in my Colts at all.

Some folks really like Tripp 9mm mags, I have no experience with them.

The one Brownells 9mm mag I own has worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    That's what ToddG ended up using in his 1911 endurance test.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8839
    Sorry no clue. However a little 1911/Todd related fun fact. Todd for a good while wasn't much of a 1911 guy. He gave me jazz about showing up to his Aim Fast Hit Fast class with a 1911. We had never met before. He bluntly told me my 1911 would not make it through his class. When my 1911 sailed through flawlessly he asked what the make was. I told him and he said, "Oh! Ed Brown well that's why."

We loosely kept in contact and I gave Todd a little "jazz" when he went over to the dark side with the Springfield/Warren 1911. Of course I told Todd it wasn't a real 1911 since it was a 9 mm.

I use Wilsons Vickers mags in my guns and a Wilson 10rd mag for my reload.

I bought 5-6 McCormick 10rd mags for competitions and haven't had an issue. They are my most used and abused as I use them for repetitive drills on concrete.

Site Supporter
    I've had good luck with the Wilson 10 rounders, but my sample size of one CMC never locked my guns back so I put a Tripp super 9 kit in it and it works every bit as well as an 8 round mag.

Otherwise, my ten round 1911 is a 9mm [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List