Page 168 of 257 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 2561

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Alright, here comes the test. 2005 Green-eee

I am hoping to pump out at least 500 rounds of 230 ball if the class lets me.

I put a WC extractor in it and was getting alot of brass contact and its possible it's too long (something out of spec).

I honed on it a lot and time will tell.

The MIM factory trigger group had a gross hitch and could not iron it out. I bought some used WC components for cheap just to have a cleaner trigger break around 5#

and if I cannot see that front sight, I got problems.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    I use 18.5 lb. Springs in my series 1 Kimber 5”, with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I use an 18 for 230 (and 235 to be specific) grain practice ammo and it works fine with HST (standard pressure) as well - I doubt I’d change up to accommodate for +P unless I was shooting a ton of it. The same spring set (paired with a 23lb mainspring) even works OK with 200gr target loads, though that’s asking a lot and those will give the occasional FTE.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    this is likely the culprit for my front sight.

the nut imbedded in the ALS lever is all scuffed up from my front sight.

My original 6360 nut was brass IIRC.

While F/O rod is too fragile to stay alive is a duty piece, I prefer it over a night sight.

In night qual, the lack of a fiber optic glow was a non-issue.

I had the same thing happen with a Glock 6360...front sight ground down the plastic around the nut until the sight was dragging on the nut itself. I contacted Safariland and they sent me a replacement ALS mechanism.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Right, so a specific question on recoil spring weights.

Gun is a new 2022, 5" Springfield Garrison, in .45 ACP, stock parts except for a WC BP Ambi Thumb Safety added by my 'smith last month. I am currently using what I understand is a 16# standard SA recoil spring, as from the factory. All ammo to date has been a mix of Federal AE and S&B 230 FMJ. Ejection is ok; up and to the right, but I have no specific observations.

My question is as regards to what will happen if I fit a WC 18# spring. The intent of fitting the stiffer spring is in anticipation of shooting +p and/or JHP ammo. My application for this gun is for "pin shooting", i.e. knocking off 2.5 lb bowling pins off a table set at 7 yards. I'm advised that it is preferable to use either JHP ammo or +p (or both) for maximum effectiveness. Setting aside whether that's correct (I believe it is, based on inputs I've received):

Will there be an effects, adverse or otherwise, in fitting the 18# spring for the test of JHP/+p ammo, and then leaving that spring in the gun to shoot the FMJ for practice?

I am guessing the 18# spring will make it harder to rack? And perhaps dampen felt recoil a bit? Anything else?
    I don't know about +P, but 230gr HST runs great in all my Government Models with 16# recoil springs.

I'm looking at Brownell's page for Wilson 9mm 1911 mags.

Which one is the preferred choice for say, a Colt Commander?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm looking at Brownell's page for Wilson 9mm 1911 mags.

Which one is the preferred choice for say, a Colt Commander?
    I've used these with so/so results in MY springer.

Tried Ed Brown mags for my gun, never looked back.

ED BROWN
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Tried Ed Brown mags for my gun, never looked back.

ED BROWN
    In the event Ed Brown is out of stock, Ed Brown's mags are currently a CheckMate product

Thunder Mountain Custom https://www.shop.1911parts.com/Check...cm-9mm-9-s.htm

I use the Wilson ETM with my 9mm Springfield RO, they run 100%, so do the factory supplied Checkmates.

In my .45 1911s I use an 18.5# spring. This works reliably with full power loads using both 230 and 200 grain bullets. No issues with a 16# spring either. I just prefer the recoil impulse of the 18.5, which presents no difficulties in racking the slide, with my somewhat arthritic hands. I keep a round count log on all my working guns and change recoil springs every 3,000 rounds.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Ed Brown has a Mag Exchange Program too: https://www.edbrown.com/magexchange/ I traded all of my old garbage mags for shiny new ones.

User Tag List