Page 167 of 256 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2556

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    this is purely a guess on my part,

fitting a beavertail grip safety means blending with the frame. That means the frame would need refinishing.

Unless there is a new method of fitting a grip safety, I am not aware of.

The original owner changed the factory finish from AK (Armory Kote) to Melonite?
    Wilson makes a Bp grip safety that does not need much massaging to fit the frame. It’s not a perfect blend, but functional. Hilton Yam uses them on his Springfield setups also.

Yes, the “gunsmith” refinished it with a dlc/melonite type coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post

I would like to find a smith to fit the Wilson BP beavertail safety to Nighthawk trigger assembly, install a ambi BP safety and fit a BP extractor. And if possible coat new parts with melonite to match coating on pistol.

I can do the work, but I’m no 1911 smith. With the investment I’ve put in I would rather spend some coin and have it perfect. I want it to be a working gun not a safe queen. I’m already above DW money between purchase and parts I’ve bought.

if we were in the time frame of 2014ish, I would have told you to hook up with Rob at ACW, or SACS but they are long gone.

I have been referred to gunsmiths in the past but never followed up as I usually have too many projects and no $$$$ for that kind of stuff.
    the smiths I was referred to were Evolution Armory and Derr Precision. I dont have a clue if they are taking work and turnaround time.

I jacked up my Officers ACP in the 90s, Rob/ACW got it back looking decent.
    I got the front strap checkered from another as Rob had gone to Cabot when I got the money for that.
    I over polished my feed ramp in the 90s and I might need a new ramp as Hollow Points dont feed reliably.
    I was referred to Derr for that. I might speak to him in 2023.

my dad bought me this COACP in 1988. It will stay with me.
    I have an ambi thumb safety project for it that I have been saving for the winter.

I over cut the grip safety area on the frame in the 90s. Rob's welder could only put so much back.

I got some blending and thinning to complete. I got the used EGW Ambi cheap!

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 11-11-2022 at 02:55 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

if we were in the time frame of 2014ish, I would have told you to hook up with Rob at ACW, or SACS but they are long gone.

I have been referred to gunsmiths in the past but never followed up as I usually have too many projects and no $$$$ for that kind of stuff.
    the smiths I was referred to were Evolution Armory and Derr Precision. I dont have a clue if they are taking work and turnaround time.

I jacked up my Officers ACP in the 90s, Rob/ACW got it back looking decent.
    I got the front strap checkered from another as Rob had gone to Cabot when I got the money for that.
    I over polished my feed ramp in the 90s and I might need a new ramp as Hollow Points dont feed reliably.
    I was referred to Derr for that. I might speak to him in 2023.

my dad bought me this COACP in 1988. It will stay with me.
    I have an ambi thumb safety project for it that I have been saving for the winter.

I over cut the grip safety area on the frame in the 90s. Rob's welder could only put so much back.

I got some blending and thinning to complete. I got the used EGW Ambi cheap!

I’ll give them a call, thank you. I really want to just have this done right so I can shoot the thing. I wish the factory coating was on her still as well. But should be a shooter when finished

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Having lived with several of these for decades now, I don’t find either very challenging. Put the hood over the springs, and slide the extractor in the hole till it stops. Use a small screw driver to tip the forward part of the hood in and press it home.

I haven’t lost a spring yet, but I’m certain I just jinx myself.
    I am very unlucky when it comes to flying gun parts. I have even misplaced a guide rod from a S&W M3914. I finally found it when we were moving out of the home -- two years later. As such, little springs and detents that can fly are my nemesis.

We had night quals Thursday night and I pumped 200 rounds through my personal MCOP.

It ran fine lubed with Trident and 230 ball, however I keep breaking my front fiber optic.

This big ol ball will not work with a Safariland 6360 duty holster. The front sight is making contact with the ALS fixture upon reholstering and my F/O rod is short lived.

I took a 1/16" drill bit and drilled the hole to allow F/O to fill the larger area to keep the ball below the outer dimensions of the front sight.

there is a slight belly over hanging (I am used to that... HA)

if you look at the top of edge of the front sight, it has some denting. I guess the plastic ALS fixture acts like a mallet with every draw and re-holster.

Over 17K, she is just starting to break in. I should be close to 18

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 11-12-2022 at 02:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    We had night quals Thursday night and I pumped 200 rounds through my personal MCOP.

It ran fine lubed with Trident and 230 ball, however I keep breaking my front fiber optic.

This big ol ball will not work with a Safariland 6360 duty holster. The front sight is making contact with the ALS fixture upon reholstering and my F/O rod is short lived.

I took a 1/16" drill bit and drilled the hole to allow F/O to fill the larger area to keep the ball below the outer dimensions of the front sight.

there is a slight belly over hanging (I am used to that... HA)

if you look at the top of edge of the front sight, it has some denting. I guess the plastic ALS fixture acts like a mallet with every draw and re-holster.

Over 17K, she is just starting to break in. I should be close to 18
    Man, I love that gun!!

That's a good solve, well done. Hopefully that'll help over the coming months.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

this is likely the culprit for my front sight.

the nut imbedded in the ALS lever is all scuffed up from my front sight.

My original 6360 nut was brass IIRC.

While F/O rod is too fragile to stay alive is a duty piece, I prefer it over a night sight.

In night qual, the lack of a fiber optic glow was a non-issue.

Right, so a specific question on recoil spring weights.

Gun is a new 2022, 5" Springfield Garrison, in .45 ACP, stock parts except for a WC BP Ambi Thumb Safety added by my 'smith last month. I am currently using what I understand is a 16# standard SA recoil spring, as from the factory. All ammo to date has been a mix of Federal AE and S&B 230 FMJ. Ejection is ok; up and to the right, but I have no specific observations.

My question is as regards to what will happen if I fit a WC 18# spring. The intent of fitting the stiffer spring is in anticipation of shooting +p and/or JHP ammo. My application for this gun is for "pin shooting", i.e. knocking off 2.5 lb bowling pins off a table set at 7 yards. I'm advised that it is preferable to use either JHP ammo or +p (or both) for maximum effectiveness. Setting aside whether that's correct (I believe it is, based on inputs I've received):

Will there be an effects, adverse or otherwise, in fitting the 18# spring for the test of JHP/+p ammo, and then leaving that spring in the gun to shoot the FMJ for practice?

I am guessing the 18# spring will make it harder to rack? And perhaps dampen felt recoil a bit? Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Right, so a specific question on recoil spring weights.

Gun is a new 2022, 5" Springfield Garrison, in .45 ACP, stock parts except for a WC BP Ambi Thumb Safety added by my 'smith last month. I am currently using what I understand is a 16# standard SA recoil spring, as from the factory. All ammo to date has been a mix of Federal AE and S&B 230 FMJ. Ejection is ok; up and to the right, but I have no specific observations.

My question is as regards to what will happen if I fit a WC 18# spring. The intent of fitting the stiffer spring is in anticipation of shooting +p and/or JHP ammo. My application for this gun is for "pin shooting", i.e. knocking off 2.5 lb bowling pins off a table set at 7 yards. I'm advised that it is preferable to use either JHP ammo or +p (or both) for maximum effectiveness. Setting aside whether that's correct (I believe it is, based on inputs I've received):

Will there be an effects, adverse or otherwise, in fitting the 18# spring for the test of JHP/+p ammo, and then leaving that spring in the gun to shoot the FMJ for practice?

I am guessing the 18# spring will make it harder to rack? And perhaps dampen felt recoil a bit? Anything else?
    I switch to 18.5 for 230 ball and 230 Gold Dot some years ago and developed primary hand wrist pain. I moved back to 16# and the pain went away and decided to stick with that and change my spring more often. if racking the slide was more difficult, I did not feel it, but it was suggested that my wrist pain possibly developed from the slide snapping back into battery with more authority from the stronger spring.

JohnK told me about the 17# and I tested it out and it's been running good for me.

I have a lot of 16# but built up my supply of 17#.

I don't have a round count of when I change my springs, but when the spring is noticeably shorter, I will dig out a fresh one and compare. I will change as needed.
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 11-13-2022 at 01:45 PM.

User Tag List