Page 153 of 257 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2569

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    My Colt, Dan Wesson, SIG, and Springfield 1911s have all ran 100% out of the box. All with the factory extractor tension. My Dan Wesson has gone 3500 rnds between cleaning with no bobbles. I just added clp when the slide started slowing down. Caveat emptor; I only used Wilson mags with the exception of 2 Checkmate mags that came with the DW, and the 2 factory mags that came with the rest of the guns. And all are 5 inch guns.

My DW is in 9mm and has 7K with (3) malfunctions that I’ll count against it. I read everything that everyone says…but I’m convinced that 1911s are reliable.
    Name:  BB205520-9B8A-47CD-B1F6-7B4C0C575872.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  21.8 KB
    What 3500 rnds does to a clean barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Well, all the Colts I've bought new since 2007 or so in 45ACP have all run, and run, and run, and run out of the box. The only fiddling I've had to do was checking the extractor for correct tension since Colt just drops extractors in and ships them out the door. (To be fair to Colt, most of the time they work just fine that way...)

This includes Series 70 repros (2), S80 Gov't Models (2), a Combat Unit Railgun, a Combat Elite Commander, a Combat Commander...I think I'm missing a couple, hmm. Anyway. One 9mm Combat Elite Commander had some issues, but the next 9mm lightweight Commander has run flawlessly, as has a Custom Carry Limited also in 9mm. Oh, and the 38 Super Colts I've had all ran well except one Gov't model, which didn't like the one Colt factory mag that it came with...but had no problems with any of the Metalforms or McCormick mags, or other factory Colt mags - just literally the one it came with. Go figure. But, I don't really count 9mm as being super reliable in any 1911-pattern gun anyway since it was an afterthought/adaptation of the system.

What model of Colt(s) or Springfield(s) did you have problems with? What magazines were you running; factory Colt or Springfield? Wilson Combat, Metalform, Checkmate?

What ammo were you using? There's plenty of bad ammo and mags that will bring any 1911 to it's knees.

I've never had a Springfield in 45ACP, just 38 Super, but it never had a problem once I replaced the extractor with one that wasn't a MIM piece of junk (at the time I bought it, Springfield was putting MIM in everything on the lower end, which the Mil-Spec was)...but, all my 1911s since then have been Colts, or surplus/GI guns.

The only Colt I ever had a problem with was a used 70 Series from the early 1970s that exhibited some of the very common Colt problems of guns from that era, and would not run no matter what.

Edited to add - this is just kind of a long way of saying that I would be very surprised if a new made/purchased Colt had any serious problems that wasn't fixable with good mags, good ammo and maybe an extractor tweak out of the box today. Whenever I go to the range with one of the 1911s it's with a minimum of 200 rounds, and I literally cannot even think of the last time I had any kind of a malfunction that I did not create myself with the gun.
    I purely used Wilson Combat mags. As far as ammo, I can't recall all for sure, but mostly Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ.
    I'm actually not sure what to make of the WC mags. From what I understood they were supposed to be one of the most reliable 1911 mags you could get, but I've also heard of people having problems with those mags specifically where others worked.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    My Colt, Dan Wesson, SIG, and Springfield 1911s have all ran 100% out of the box. All with the factory extractor tension. My Dan Wesson has gone 3500 rnds between cleaning with no bobbles. I just added clp when the slide started slowing down. Caveat emptor; I only used Wilson mags with the exception of 2 Checkmate mags that came with the DW, and the 2 factory mags that came with the rest of the guns. And all are 5 inch guns.

My DW is in 9mm and has 7K with (3) malfunctions that I’ll count against it. I read everything that everyone says…but I’m convinced that 1911s are reliable.
    Name:  BB205520-9B8A-47CD-B1F6-7B4C0C575872.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  21.8 KB
    What 3500 rnds does to a clean barrel.
    I wish I had your kind of luck with 1911s. If I could find a 1911 that was able to go at least 1k consecutive rounds without a stoppage (provided proper cleaning and lube) and preferably 2k rounds to prove long term reliability, I'd be very tempted to go to that in .45 Auto as my main carry piece.

A couple of questions to the forum in general:

Suppose money was no object; what would be my best bet for a reliable out of the box 1911? Reliable as in, 1k-2k rounds without a stoppage provided proper cleaning and lube. In other words, as reliable as 9mm Glocks and .45 H&Ks.

Also, if money was an object, what then would be my best choice, and how can I make sure it's reliable before I shoot it? (extractor tension, etc)

Before this forum, I'd never heard of Alchemy and a couple of other 1911 makers. It was my understanding that the top dogs were Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and Les Bauer. However, I know enough people with Wilsons that weren't all that reliable to raise an eyebrow.

I have to say that I've never owned a Colt but I have had Springfields, Dan Wessons, Sigs, Para Ordnances, Smith & Wessons, Kimbers, Wilsons, and Rugers. The only ones I have had problems with were Kimber (minor issues) and Para Ordnance (major issues).

What can I say, I like 1911s but only a few seem to stick around.

ETA: I think Dan Wesson is the best bang for the buck right now. Many years ago when I got my VBOB I was able to do a side by side with a Ed Brown Kobra Carry at the store (no shooting) and just could not see the where the $1k difference between the two was. Although, if you have the money, you certainly can't go wrong with a Wilson, Nighthawk, etc.
    Last edited by Ichiban; 10-11-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I purely used Wilson Combat mags. As far as ammo, I can't recall all for sure, but mostly Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ.
    I'm actually not sure what to make of the WC mags. From what I understood they were supposed to be one of the most reliable 1911 mags you could get, but I've also heard of people having problems with those mags specifically where others worked.
    “Wilson Combat mags” are not all the same. I am no longer familiar with the model number designations and differences, but for some time, the WC magazines were very much manufactured to feed a specific competition bullet configuration, that most competitors tended to use.

My three late-Nineties Kimber pistols would not work with Wilson Combat mags, of the mid/late-Nineties configuration, with rounded-nose FMJ. (Actually, the two mis-named Classic Customs worked with some few vetted Colt 7-round mags, and with 7-round Metalform mags, and the Gold Match insisted upon nothing but McCormick Power Mags. These Kimbers were eventually traded/sold, with prejudice.)

I have bought some WC “Elite Tactical Magazines,” which are reputed to work with real-world defensive ammo. First impressions have been good, but they still need more vetting, which was totally interrupted by the panic-demic, and has not been a priority, since I largely reverted to revolvers, for carry. I bought these Elite Tactical Mags because they clear a Harrison mag well, that is permanently affixed to one of my LBC pistols. I have a few McCormick Power Mags, which also clear the mag well, which is another reason that vetting the WCs has not been a priority.

Having just typed all of this, well, it has given me the fever to go do some Nineteen-Elevening, this week, if I can somehow create the time to do it.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Springfield and shoot 50 rounds and call it good. If money was tight I'd go with a milspec or a Garrison and if money wasn't an object I'd go with a Springfield pro.

As it stands my loaded is my most boring gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Springfield and shoot 50 rounds and call it good. If money was tight I'd go with a milspec or a Garrison and if money wasn't an object I'd go with a Springfield pro.

As it stands my loaded is my most boring gun.
    After I tensioned the extractor on my RO, I took it to a class where I fired almost a thousand rounds without a single cleaning.

Springfield is what I'd choose too.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    “Wilson Combat mags” are not all the same. I am no longer familiar with the model number designations and differences, but for some time, the WC magazines were very much manufactured to feed a specific competition bullet configuration, that most competitors tended to use.

My three late-Nineties Kimber pistols would not work with Wilson Combat mags, of the mid/late-Nineties configuration, with rounded-nose FMJ. (Actually, the two mis-named Classic Customs worked with some few vetted Colt 7-round mags, and with 7-round Metalform mags, and the Gold Match insisted upon nothing but McCormick Power Mags. These Kimbers were eventually traded/sold, with prejudice.)

I have bought some WC “Elite Tactical Magazines,” which are reputed to work with real-world defensive ammo. First impressions have been good, but they still need more vetting, which was totally interrupted by the panic-demic, and has not been a priority, since I largely reverted to revolvers, for carry. I bought these Elite Tactical Mags because they clear a Harrison mag well, that is permanently affixed to one of my LBC pistols. I have a few McCormick Power Mags, which also clear the mag well, which is another reason that vetting the WCs has not been a priority.

Having just typed all of this, well, it has given me the fever to go do some Nineteen-Elevening, this week, if I can somehow create the time to do it.
    There's a bunch of Wilsons, but the nutshell is -

7 round mags:
    * Wilson 47 - 7 round standard mags, good; I believe Heirloom Precision/Jason Burton still uses these by default with no issues. I don't have any, but if Mr. Burton says they're good to go...I'm prepared to take his word for it.
    * Wilson 47C-HV - 7 round HD/+P mag, designed for suppressed/hard use/extremely dirty and fouled applications; I use these as my 7 round carry mags. I've got 4 or 5 of these I think.
    You don't really need to deviate from these two, in their 7 round lineup.

8 round mags:
    * Wilson 47D - 8 round mags, good for maybe 10 uses, then the mag springs take a shit - AVOID. I'm specifically mentioning these because people will buy them and then get tons of misfeeds after a while and blanket declare Wilson mags as junk...they're not junk, these specifically just ship with shit springs. Time has moved on from the late 80s/early 1990s, but they insist on still selling these. If you have these and insist on using them, you can replace the springs with the square wound ones from Wilson, as well as the follower...it basically turns them into 7 round mags, but at least they'll run and won't have feeding problems. The feeding problems in this case btw are that the slide will overrun the feeding round, causing a nose-up jam. Source: Personal experience, including replacing the spring and follower and converting it into a now-reliable 7 round mag.
    * 800 series mags (800 or 800A) - these are the Vickers ETM mags with no witness holes/slits in the sides; these are good to go. Personal preference is the 800As as the base pad is slimmer. Mine have all run great. I've got I think 3 of these.
    * 500-HD series mags - I like these; again, designated the HD/+P mags. They come in a few flavors. I don't have any of the "normal" 500 mags, only 500x-HD mags. I think I've got 5 of these.

The 800 and 500 series of 8 round mags all have longer mag tubes than the 47D; it's one of the reasons the 47 as a 7 round mag with the 7 round spring and follower works just fine but has problems as an 8 round mag, with the 8 round spring and follower.

Honestly, I've also had really good experiences with Colt factory mags, 7 rounders. I must have like 20 of the things; like 8 or 9 stainless, the rest blued. I've had two 45acp mags that had malformed followers that liked to ride over the slide stop lobe (on multiple guns); those I marked and use them as placeholder mags, but the others...I've got so many rounds through them that I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them as carry mags, either. The Wilsons, before I pack up for the range, I empty them of their usually carry ammo and work them into the mag rotation at the range so they all get used. At the end I'll reload the Wilsons with the carry ammo and blast through that, usually a box of 50 to tie up the end of the session. Reload from a fresh box, and go home.

The original Wilson 8rd mag (47D) is a reliable magazine in most 1911s if they have fresh springs but the springs will weaken if the mag is cycled frequently. The 47D is a 7rd tube and in order to fit 8rds in it the magazine spring's diameter is thinner and they don't hold up under a heavy use schedule. Wilson has improved the mag springs in them in recent years and they do last longer now. I used to replace the springs/followers yearly for the set I use for IDPA. I'm at almost 2 years on the improved springs and they still feed and lock the slide back when empty.

The 8rd ETM is a better mag as it has a tube designed to hold 8rds. The ETM/HD+P and ETM-V/Vickers Duty mags with the flat wire springs are the best 8rd mags I have ever used. They are reliable in every 1911 I've used them in and after years of heavy use, I still haven't had to replace the springs or had the feed lips spread.

User Tag List