Page 152 of 257 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2561

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I recall dripping onto the grip magwell area... I removed the grips and whewwwww.... all good.

I too fall into the corrosive category and can eat alum framed glasses.

my guess, hand sweat got underneath the slide stop and thumb safety even though it had a large accumulation of EWL there, my corrosiveness got it.

Luckily those areas are hidden underneath those parts.

I have some old Militec and doing the heating process on the exterior surfaces in hopes to minimize future issues.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=SW CQB 45;1374883]anyone got the blues? Dan Wesson Blued Valor 5" .45 acp!

I bought this dude on a whim as I always thought this piece was coo. They dried up and almost nonexistent on the used market. Its a nice piece.... needed some tuning on the extractor and I did some other mods. I ran 100 rounds down range yesterday and it was hot.

I was sweaty but I thought I was being careful and wiping any sweat off.

I take it home, and a few hours later... I take it apart and there was a small rust blob underneath the slide stop and thumb safety that ate the bluing. URGHHH!!!

should I have some spray oil and after shooting, coat it down in some rags?

or silicone cloth, rig rag but none of that would have prevented the rust underneath the two parts that also had plenty of oil there too.

I did use some old EWL, and I looked it up and it's a CLP. "our enhanced preservative immediately bonds itself and forms a barrier film on the surface that displaces water and provides a corrosion resistant barrier against rust and dirt."

I would assume, the few hours was a few too many to address this blued 1911.

QUOTE]
    You should love it; I know I do. I have it’s 9mm brother.

Name:  168C7C61-18B3-4E2D-A75F-ED2370C8D6B4.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  49.4 KB

It was last September when my extractor in my loaded failed so I tweaked it. It's been fine since and has been my most shot gun for the last year. I figure it time to replace it. I was going to go with a Wilson bp one but found the c&s ultimate extractor and ordered it.

I'm not sure I've heard much about their extractors. Anybody here use one?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It was last September when my extractor in my loaded failed so I tweaked it. It's been fine since and has been my most shot gun for the last year. I figure it time to replace it. I was going to go with a Wilson bp one but found the c&s ultimate extractor and ordered it.

I have not but have seen their claim to use the OG spec spring steel which has me intrigued. I’m very interested to hear your feedback, I likely won’t need extractors anytime soon but may order one just to stash away for the inevitable.

the c&s ultimate extractor ...Anybody here use one?
    Sample of one. I had extractor tension problems with both my Rock River Poly guns. One got a Wilson bulletproof which needed a bit of top edge filing because of barrel hood rubbing, and some time in the Wiegand tension device to be just right tension wise and it has been perfect since. On my other poly, I dropped the C&S ultimate in, no adjustment needed, tension was within the spec range per my weigand gauge right out of the box, no interference I could detect, passed 10-8 test, no drama of any sort and it still runs. Had to remove some metal on the rear surface to make it slide flush but same is true for an out of the box Wilson and these guns.

So my first impression is good but I doubt I have quite 1K through that gun since the installation, so no comment on durability or how it wears or holds its tension. I think any extractor might be able to hold up to this low round count. Probably not the data you are looking for in terms of use.

Not their ultimate extractor, but when I got into 1911s in the late 2000s/early 2010s I stocked up on a handful of C&S regular extractors (normal ones, both S70 and S80). They seem to be all spring steel and IIRC came with a rockwell hardness test? I might be misremembering, but they seemed nicer than the Ed Brown or Wilson extractors I was buying at the time, with a caveat - the caveat was, they were basically original old-school extractors. Edges, etc. You would need to dress them, break edges, etc if you wanted max reliability, like you would need to for an old USGI surplus gun if you were doing a reliability job on it. In some ways it's cool; you get complete control over it. In other ways...really annoying to need to do that

I wouldn't have any hesitation on using a C&S if I wanted an as-designed to-spec 1911 extractor. Current day Wilsons are apparently cut with a slight bend in them to keep tension so you don't even have to bend them, etc but with how variable 1911 slides can be, I don't know if that's a benefit or a hinderance especially as you stray further from GI guns.

If their ultimate extractor takes care of some of the manual work you'd need to otherwise do with a small file or sandpaper, it sounds like it'd be a winner to me.

What is the most reliable out-of-the-box 1911? I've never been able to get one to go at least 1k rounds without a stoppage (properly lubed and maintained) out of all my Colts and Springfields I've owned. I love the 1911 but it just seems like a finicky pistol... yet I still dream of owning a stone cold reliable 1911 out of the box...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    What is the most reliable out-of-the-box 1911? I've never been able to get one to go at least 1k rounds without a stoppage (properly lubed and maintained) out of all my Colts and Springfields I've owned. I love the 1911 but it just seems like a finicky pistol... yet I still dream of owning a stone cold reliable 1911 out of the box...
    That's a tough question.

Can't say I've ever had a Colt or Springfield that was good to go from the start unfortunately.

My 3,000 dollar Alchemy was reliable from the box. Literally every other 1911 I've owned, I have had to at least tension an extractor.

Some I did before shooting the gun though. My Springfield RO and RO compact have been very reliable but not perfect. My RRA poly is very good as well. The Colt I own was a mess.

I've yet to have a gun that's been completely malfunction free. Sometimes you just get a gremlin in the works. But if I get a pattern of inaccuracy or unreliability, I know there's something deeply wrong with how the gun was set up or made.

My 1911s, being correctly set up are every bit as reliable as the Glocks, CZs, Beretta 92s and M&Ps I've owned. Except for that frigging Colt.

The problem is the set up.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Well, all the Colts I've bought new since 2007 or so in 45ACP have all run, and run, and run, and run out of the box. The only fiddling I've had to do was checking the extractor for correct tension since Colt just drops extractors in and ships them out the door. (To be fair to Colt, most of the time they work just fine that way...)

This includes Series 70 repros (2), S80 Gov't Models (2), a Combat Unit Railgun, a Combat Elite Commander, a Combat Commander...I think I'm missing a couple, hmm. Anyway. One 9mm Combat Elite Commander had some issues, but the next 9mm lightweight Commander has run flawlessly, as has a Custom Carry Limited also in 9mm. Oh, and the 38 Super Colts I've had all ran well except one Gov't model, which didn't like the one Colt factory mag that it came with...but had no problems with any of the Metalforms or McCormick mags, or other factory Colt mags - just literally the one it came with. Go figure. But, I don't really count 9mm as being super reliable in any 1911-pattern gun anyway since it was an afterthought/adaptation of the system.

What model of Colt(s) or Springfield(s) did you have problems with? What magazines were you running; factory Colt or Springfield? Wilson Combat, Metalform, Checkmate?

What ammo were you using? There's plenty of bad ammo and mags that will bring any 1911 to it's knees.

I've never had a Springfield in 45ACP, just 38 Super, but it never had a problem once I replaced the extractor with one that wasn't a MIM piece of junk (at the time I bought it, Springfield was putting MIM in everything on the lower end, which the Mil-Spec was)...but, all my 1911s since then have been Colts, or surplus/GI guns.

The only Colt I ever had a problem with was a used 70 Series from the early 1970s that exhibited some of the very common Colt problems of guns from that era, and would not run no matter what.

Edited to add - this is just kind of a long way of saying that I would be very surprised if a new made/purchased Colt had any serious problems that wasn't fixable with good mags, good ammo and maybe an extractor tweak out of the box today. Whenever I go to the range with one of the 1911s it's with a minimum of 200 rounds, and I literally cannot even think of the last time I had any kind of a malfunction that I did not create myself with the gun.

My Colt Series 70 stainless Repro had some minor brass-to-face for the first 100-200 rounds, but settled down on its own without any extractor tweaking needed. It's by far been my most reliable, and most reliable out-of-the-box 1911.

Best, Jon

User Tag List