Page 148 of 256 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    Not to derail but the Gen 4 Glock 21 without a back strap is the same circumference as the 21SF and has a slightly larger magazine release. There are some internal differences and you may prefer the texture of the SF but they are the same size.

Edit to add I suppose if you are somewhere the SF is available and the Gen 4 isn’t, California maybe?, that would of course be a factor.
    Last edited by sharps54; 06-20-2022 at 06:59 AM. Reason: To complete thought

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Not to derail but the Gen 4 Glock 21 without a back strap is the same circumference as the 21SF and has a slightly larger magazine release. There are some internal differences and you may prefer the texture of the SF but they are the same size.

Edit to add I suppose if you are somewhere the SF is available and the Gen 4 isn’t, California maybe?, that would of course be a factor.
    I have medium hands and find my 41 to be easy to handle (same frame,) especially compared to my late wife’s 21 Gen2. I looked at the 21SF a few years ago but ended up preferring the Gen4.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Even the Gen 4 large frames are slightly too big for my small hands, specifically when shooting one handed.
    I wish it weren’t so as it would make life so much easier.

@RJ, I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is: do you just want to launch .45ACP or do you want the 1911 experience?

The two aren’t mutually exclusive but one path is much easier, if not quite as rewarding.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @RJ, I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is: do you just want to launch .45ACP or do you want the 1911 experience?

The two aren’t mutually exclusive but one path is much easier, if not quite as rewarding.
    The struggle is real.

Name:  rich45.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  57.8 KB

I have a Glock 21 in Gen 3 and 4. I much prefer the Gen 4. I shoot it without added back strap. I prefer the grip texture of the 4. I like the larger mag release too. I just feel the 4 is anchored in my hand better due the texturing. And the grip feels a wee bit smaller as well. It’s still a large pistol.

Site Supporter
    There is always the HK45 and HK45c as well, they fit my hand fairly well but the safety isn’t quite in the right place. I’ll end up with a nice 1911 at some point but only after I pick up a Colt SAA. Funny enough we are talking the same price range for the two anymore.

Site Supporter
    I too am a glock guy. I bought a G21 SF years ago, heated and flattened the backstrap, textured it and shot it a bit. Ultimately sold it as I could not see myself buying 2 (one to train, one to carry)
    I have large hands (barely) in most sized gloves. I found it ok in fit but "off" relative to my G35/34s with which I have launched many thousands of rounds. Perhaps I did not give it a fair shake.

I have often said that if the world went 10 rd max tomorrow, no grandfathering of old mags etc., I would likely buy a brace of M&P 45s, with some apex goodies if needed after shooting them both a bit and still be out less that a Dan Wesson or Springfield model I would otherwise buy to augment the "Truth", my 1999 Series One Kimber Custom Classic.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I would likely buy a brace of M&P 45s, ...
    Unless someone has very large hands, or is absolutely committed to Glock, I also think the M&P would probably be a better polymer .45 than a G21.

The actual Hilton Yam article seems to be gone from the internet now, but he is quoted here...

https://www.military.com/kitup/2013/...nce-glock.html

If we were comparing the Glock 21 to the M&P 45, then let’s just stop here and declare the M&P .45 the winner and move on. Superior ergonomics by far, good accuracy, and availability of thumb safety to help transition 1911 shooters make the M&P 45 the clear winner in my opinion. Add a viable and reliable factory 14 round magazine, and you pretty much have the whole package wrapped up with a bow.

Of course most long time 1911 users have probably read this article from the late Pat Rogers

"Putting Down the Man Gun" https://www.swatmag.com/article/putt...n-the-man-gun/

User Tag List