Page 119 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2554

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've heard that once it starts to go it will go eventually many times.
    This has been my experience with a couple of extractors. Once the steel loses it's "spring" it's not coming back

Is it just metal fatigue that causes the extractor to lose tension over time?

That Wilson combat one is probably 5+ years old with 10-15k rounds through it. It just dropped in as well and passed the 10-8 test back then.

So when I bent it back that was the first time I ever did that. I've heard that once it starts to go it will go eventually many times.

What mags are you using?

That Wilson combat one is probably 5+ years old with 10-15k rounds through it. It just dropped in as well and passed the 10-8 test back then.

So when I bent it back that was the first time I ever did that. I've heard that once it starts to go it will go eventually many times.
    Yes, it's metal fatigue. This issue presents itself when the extractor is essentially its own spring. My experience has been, you can retention it once but when it goes again it's best to replace it. If you dont, the issue will present itself at an increasing frequency.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    What mags are you using?
    Wilson or CMC

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Same thing here.
    If I try to IWB, I'll limp around for 3 days. It really sucks.
    The only way I have found that works is appendix for IWB, and paddle holsters seem to work for OWB.
    I have that Galco Speed Paddle for my EDC Springfield Champion[commander], 9mm. I believe that the paddle works because I can shift it around before tightening my belt, and position it right in the sweet spot.

I had started a thread asking about hi ride holsters for the same reason: Nothing past 3 [well I'm lefty, so 9] o'clock. Figured if I found a holster that rode high, it would conceal better at that position.
    I commented in that thread. Did you ever go to C Rusty Scherrick’s website? I think he’s got a couple that would work if you havent purchased yet.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I did, just weighing all the options.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Nothing lasts forever. Just like any spring, they all go eventually. And yes, rebending it only works for a while.

Cat

Site Supporter

It could also be that the nose of the extractor is contacting the case bevel, which I've heard can accelerate stress on the extractor by a small amount. Not enough to kibosh the part in a few hundred rounds, but certainly it won't get the 30,000 rounds you could expect on a well fitted part.

Fwiw, an extractor in my Springfield just went bad as well. It was the factory unit, but the next will probably be an EGW HD, fitted correctly so that only the tensioning wall is touching the rim and that's it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Wilson or CMC

Check the mags over.

I’ve seen more extractors killed by 47Ds than anything.

I hate those mags. They inertia puke rounds into the chamber as much as they don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Check the mags over.

I’ve seen more extractors killed by 47Ds than anything.

I hate those mags. They inertia puke rounds into the chamber as much as they don’t.
    Interesting, how would one go about checking this?

User Tag List