Page 114 of 257 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 2561

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    but for 8 rounders I'm only going to buy the ETM-V Vickers with the bumps in the followers from now on.
    I probably read over it somewhere else, but what’s the significance or benefit of the bump?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I probably read over it somewhere else, but what’s the significance or benefit of the bump?
    Prevents inertia feeding, just like the bump in USGI mag followers.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    I was using those mags on duty before I left for my current agency. I don't know if they're any better than regular ETM's, but they definitely feel solid.

Vickers Duty Mags

They are a great mag and Wilson's warranty policy on them is supposed to be excellent. I have not had to test it. I used to shoot a fair amount of .45 in USPSA SSTK, 25-30K rounds per year I really liked the Tripps but I reload like a gorilla and have spread a few feed lips and even bent them at the bottom slot the base pad slips into. I won on of the Vickers HD+P's off a prize table and was impressed with how robust the mag is. I called Wilson and they said that springs and followers are consumable items (although I believe the flat are spring has a lifetime warranty), if the feed lips spread, or there is any other problem, send the tube back and they will send another no questions asked. So I have a dozen or so of the Vickers HD's and they are flawless, they even make weight (with Dawson aluminum base pads) for USPSA in my set up before the rule change.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Prevents inertia feeding, just like the bump in USGI mag followers.
    I made this comment in Rmiked thread on his 10mm mags...

As already mentioned, the pimple is to help stop inertia feed. However, that is an issue with GI feed lips (and probably hybrid feed lips) as while they feed very smoothly, they don't hold the rounds very securely.

Almost all 1911 mags made today use wadcutter feed lips. They hold the rounds in the tube more securely and generally don't need the pimple to prevent inertia feed.
    Last edited by JTQ; 08-20-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    ... I reload like a gorilla and have spread a few feed lips ...
    If spreading feed lips is a problem for you, Chip McCormick (CMC) offer's their Railed Power Mags (RPM). They are available in 8 and 10 round versions.

https://www.cmproducts.com/Railed-Po...ess_p_211.html

It is a piece of technology that has made it to the Wilson line-up after Wilson purchased CMC. Though I believe Wilson only offers them in 10 round versions.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazin.../500%2D45FS10/

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    If spreading feed lips is a problem for you, Chip McCormick (CMC) offer's their Railed Power Mags (RPM). They are available in 8 and 10 round versions.

https://www.cmproducts.com/Railed-Po...ess_p_211.html

It is a piece of technology that has made it to the Wilson line-up after Wilson purchased CMC. Though I believe Wilson only offers them in 10 round versions.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazin.../500%2D45FS10/
    Thanks, I recently picked up a couple 8rd CMC's and they are also an excellent option.

What's the consensus on the older Dan Wessons with the external extractor? I've wanted a stainless Patriot ever since I saved this pic around the turn of the century...

Name:  PatriotExpert.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  27.4 KB

User Tag List