Page 112 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Any Novak Low-Mount pattern rear will fit.

No good reason to use an extended ejector. They peen, and then break.
    If broken or damaged the ejector is easy to replace with the proper size punch to drive out the roll pin. I had a 1911 where the roll pin was too short. The pin migrated away from the ejector and the ejector was lose and was damaged. I replaced it with a Wilson Bulletproof and a roll pin that was the width of the frame minus the appropriate clearance on both sides of the frame (cut to length).

Both Springers that I have (one personal and one issued) were sporting .375" factory rear.

I replaced both with 10-8 rear of equal size and I painted the front tritium factory sight. The paint is starting to break down due to contact with a level 3 duty holster.

it pretty much shot POA POI with 230 Gold Dot out to 25 yards

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

10-8 rear sight

I have that same sight on my Springfield Loaded. It was my first U-notch sight. It is a quality made product.

CQB,

Nice set up. What is your front sight height?

Cat

Have any of y’all rebuilt old Gi mags? And if so will they work in a magwell gun?

Not looking for them to be carry mags. But my Uncle gave me a bag of his old service mags and some ball ammo. I have not taken ownership of a 1911 yet that I’m buying so I’m kinda just trying to prepare for her. Did not want to spend the money and try to rebuild mags and then not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If they're not crushed or bent, I'd run those mags with hardball and see how they work. If the bodies are good, the worst case is you'd have to replace the springs, which are fairly cheap. I still have a few from when I started back in the 80s. If you're planning on running SWCs, though, you'll be SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Have any of y’all rebuilt old Gi mags? And if so will they work in a magwell gun?

Not looking for them to be carry mags. But my Uncle gave me a bag of his old service mags and some ball ammo. I have not taken ownership of a 1911 yet that I’m buying so I’m kinda just trying to prepare for her. Did not want to spend the money and try to rebuild mags and then not work.

Unless you have a sentimental attachment to them, check out the Ed Brown mag exchange program. Your mag + $10 = brand new magazine.

https://www.edbrown.com/magexchange/

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Depends on how you define "service mags"; USGI mags, or mags he carried on some other job? Because...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Unless you have a sentimental attachment to them, check out the Ed Brown mag exchange program. Your mag + $10 = brand new magazine.
    ...if you do this, you might be pissing away money. Good condition USGI 1911 mags can fetch some $$$, especially rarer variations, etc.

And unless it's a Chen Gen2 magwell, while the mags may technically work in a magwell gun, you're going to need a way to seat them since you can't just slam them in anymore (as the magwell will be longer than the magazine), and potentially a way to remove them (as you won't be able to pinch the mags out easily since the magwell will prevent you from getting your fingers there). Most modern mags have holes or an attachment point for a longer basepad to make seating and extracting magazines a lot easier with magwells...

Checkmate btw makes USGI repro 7 round mags that from what I hear are almost indistinguishable from the originals...I need to order a handful to see myself, someday..

The mags he was issued along with his 1911. Sadly he sold the gun before I married his niece. But kept the mags. I do not want to get rid of them. I have no problem spending money to rebuild them. They are in great shape. But he kept them loaded this whole time.

If they will work in a magwell gun I will use them every once in awhile on the range. I would like him to use them again in a modern 1911.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If they're not crushed or bent, I'd run those mags with hardball and see how they work. If the bodies are good, the worst case is you'd have to replace the springs, which are fairly cheap. I still have a few from when I started back in the 80s. If you're planning on running SWCs, though, you'll be SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

I wasn't aware of this, it's a much better idea than refurbing the old mags, plus they'd probably run SWCs with no problem.

ETA: Keeping them either loaded or empty doesn't wear them out. It's the compression/decompression of the springs when shooting and loading them that does it.

User Tag List