Page 11 of 256 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I was going to give you a link, but what I knew as CERTAC doesn't seem to be there anymore. Perhaps they are Cerberus Tactical now? https://cerberustac.co.za/shop/

In any case, I believe they were a CheckMate 8 round extended tube, wadcutter feed lips, and I think used the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF) with no dimple. By the way, the Tripp "flex" follower (not the Tripp hybrid) originally didn't have the pimple either, which is also the CMF, though I don't know what they use now.

Here's a 1911forum thread with them https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=223596
    JTQ, that's an excellent summation of the CERTACS; there were some other changes specified by Cerberus, but you've hit on the key points. I've been running a set of them (primarily in my 2nd generation SIG GSR XO) probably for 10+ years (albeit not really subjecting them to sustained heavy duty); they've been excellent. If you want a hard-use 1911 magazine, and top round retention and controlled release is an important criteria, I unhesitatingly recommend them.

Best, Jon

Does anybody still sell those? I didn't see them on the site I linked, and while I think there were a couple of other retailers that sold them, I can't think of anybody that does now.

Does anybody still sell those? I didn't see them on the site I linked, and while I think there were a couple of other retailers that sold them, I can't think of anybody that does now.
    I'll try to run it down for you; made some queries today but don't expect to hear anything substantive until Monday.

Best, Jon

They kind of have to do that since the bumper pad on all these extended tube mags don't just sit at the bottom of the tube, they wrap up the sides as well.
    Oh yea, I recognize that. I may get a couple of the aluminum base pads and narrow them with a Dremel to get a lower profile, without compromising the strength they need.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'll try to run it down for you; made some queries today but don't expect to hear anything substantive until Monday.

Best, Jon
    No hurry. I don't need any, it is just curiosity on my part and in the event somebody else may be looking for them.

Site Supporter
    Those of you wishing for smaller base pads are apparently too young to remember these. I don't have a magazine well on my Commander, so they work fine. The only downside is that the hole spacing is different than that on pre-drilled mag bases, so you need to drill a front hole. A thingie (technical term) is provided to fit over the mag base as a drill guide.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Those of you wishing for smaller base pads are apparently too young to remember these.
    Note those are for welded base plates, while RevolverRob is looking for a more compact pad for a mag with a removable base plate. Those pads you linked won't work for his application.

I run the thin metal base pads on my ETM. I also run thin base plates in plastic and steel on the 47(d). I hate the huge flared plastic bases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I hate the huge flared plastic bases
    Pretty much the main reason why I've not gotten into the extended tube 8 rounders, from any maker.

The best combo for a magwell gun is the ETM with steel baseplate, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List