Page 106 of 256 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

accu-rails make for a very slick running slide/frame. While the "best" way is probably weld up and remachine the frame, but the rails are far better than the old method of squeezing the slide. I wouldn't shy away from a pistol with the accu-rails.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 06-21-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I had to google Acc-U-Rail to get a look at what they are. I've heard of it before but I have never seen it in person.

First thing I would question is the juice worth the squeeze? I realize no one wants a rattle trap 1911 but how tight do you need your pistol to be?

I think on a well built gun without excessive slide to frame play money would be better spent on a professionally fit barrel and bushing if one is looking to improve accuracy. You want consistent repeatable lockup. You are pointing the slide/barrel/sights at the target. If you are a world class bullseye shooter and need an extra advantage then maybe a tighter slide to frame fit buys you an additional 1-2%.

Based on the seller’s pics it’s got a Kart barrel and bushing and it’s supposed to have been done at Doug Jones’ shop in addition to the rail treatment but I’ll ask for provenance if I decide to jump.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Alright, here’s a two parter.

1. Is anyone here familiar with Dave Lawver’s work? Some googling gives the impression that he does solid work, just sort of surprised I’ve not run across his name before.

2. I’ve found one of his pistols built on a Caspian frame that’s marked 1st MU. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks!

I’ve started noticing pics of front sights like this recently. It looks like a GI style front sight has been milled off and then a flat machined for the replacement? How are these mounted? Staked or some other way? I gather it wouldn’t be easily replaceable for the home hobbyist?

Name:  77A31515-0131-472E-B7F3-E419EE160CAA.jpeg
Views: 437
Size:  28.3 KB

The plus for the Accu-Rails is the rails can easily and inexpensively be replaced when the slide/frame fit loosens. Accu-Rails only make sense for Bullseye and PPC pistols where precision is required and high round counts are common.

One big negative is the pistol is much more sensitive to firing debris and will require more frequent cleaning.

I went a different direction and used a Travis Strahan pistol which provided very consistent lockup. That system was called the Accu-Lock and forced the slide and barrel into the exact same position. Unfortunately Mr. Strahan has passed, and I do not believe anyone now offers the Ascu-Lock system,

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’ve started noticing pics of front sights like this recently. It looks like a GI style front sight has been milled off and then a flat machined for the replacement? How are these mounted? Staked or some other way? I gather it wouldn’t be easily replaceable for the home hobbyist?

That front sight appears to be staked on.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    That front sight appears to be staked on.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

I’ve only seen that on cheap foreign 1991s.

User Tag List