Page 101 of 253 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2527

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Ever consider the Aftec extractor? I’ve got 80K through one in my open gun, and hasn’t needed anything done to it since day one I’ve never even replaced the springs, even though it came with a spare set.
    No. I'm quite content sticking with a properly functioning regular 1911 extractor. No need to complicate things.

Found some old pictures. Wow it was 2013.

Factory extractor from an Ed Brown SF 1911.

Name:  EB Extractor.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  23.8 KB

Ed Brown replacement extractor installed and working. Note fit.

Name:  Slide rear.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  27.2 KB

EB sent me a return label. Blended the extractor to match the slide rear profile and did the same with a spare. I remember Justin in customer service telling me at the time that he could count the number of broken extractors he has seen on one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Found some old pictures. Wow it was 2013.

Factory extractor from an Ed Brown SF 1911.

Name:  EB Extractor.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  23.8 KB

Ed Brown replacement extractor installed and working. Note fit.

Name:  Slide rear.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  27.2 KB

EB sent me a return label. Blended the extractor to match the slide rear profile and did the same with a spare. I remember Justin in customer service telling me at the time that he could count the number of broken extractors he has seen on one hand.
    I've seen one on a friend's 1911 that broke the hook around 13K. If I am not mistaken, general consensus on normal use is that they should last to about 60,000 or more before tension is lost. But something tells me that you have way more experience on a 1911 than I do based on seeing your posts over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Have you removed the AFTEC extractor when detail stripping and cleaning the pistol? For me, the worst part of the AFTEC is getting the extractor out of and back into the gun. The recommended trick is to use a small screwdriver or the firing pin placed behind the extractor to compress the extractor coil springs, allowing the extractor to move and be seated in its channel. I use a screwdriver that was filed down into a connector terminal pick. Chuck Rogers recommends the firing pin as an expedient tool.

It is way too easy for me to lose those tiny springs. I think that is the reason for the spare springs; it is all too easy to lose a spring getting the extractor out of and back into the pistol. I put the slide into a gallon-size food storage bag to do the work.

I have one in my Yost Delta. I assume the previous owner installed it as the build sheet called out a Wilson part -- which came with the pistol. I have to say that once installed the AFTEC extractor does work as advertised. The trade-off for no tensioning is the fiddly installation.

I have been told the AFTEC extractor is well suited for higher pressure rounds, like 9mm Major, 9x23, and 10mm. The flip side of that suggests it is not well suited for lower-pressure rounds like .45 ACP.
    I’ve detailed stripped my slides dozens upon dozens of times. Fortunately I’ve yet to lose a spring. Although it is a very small part, it’s not under much pressure when disassembled. As for reassembly, I use a small screwdriver like the ones the tool companies giveaway with their name on the side.

As far as use with low pressure rounds, I have one in my single stack .40. I mostly run minor out of that gun these days. A 130 power factor out of a .40 is lower pressure than a standard .45 I would think. I have no issues with the set up.

FUNNY.... left hand reared its ugly head

In reference to my issued to me Gen 1 MCOP .45

I finally got to qualify with it. I have zero rounds with it but have carried his younger brother... Gen 2 MCOP .45 on duty since 2008.... with a stint of packing G19 for 5 years in desk driving IA and dealing with wrist pain here and there. I got that part figured out.

Bone stock MIM everything and plan to run this dude hard.

Before it hits the streets... I want to run at least 4-500 rounds through the tube just to make sure no issues develop. I got WC Elite mags to carry with it. I plan to paint the front sight orange around the tritium vial and darken the Novak rear vials with black sharpie. I might try to get approval for 10-8 rear and steel mag bases (for durability)

Anyway... our qual starts 5 rounds 25 yards, 10 rounds 15 yards and then 7 yards yada yada and close with a timed speed drill at 3 yards with two shots from a level 3 duty rig. 50 rounds total.

At 3 yards, we do 3 times with primary side two hands from the holster, then switch to left hand only at a ready position 2 shots 2 seconds.

My left hand practice lately has been with Dell and Iphone and it reared its ugly head here. The person who qualed me is a friend and he was laughing at me. While it was still a qual of a 100, it was not a perfect 100 for me.

We always challenged ourselves to keep them in the 8" circle. I was doing good till left hand

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

An observation from the range this weekend.

I spent Sunday with my 1911 in a formal class. Our group of 11 decided that since this was the first of the season class fundamentals would be the focus. This was the first time we were back together since November. Additionally there was some focus on ammo conservation due to current availability.

We ran a few drills where dummy rounds were mixed into magazines. There were plenty of 9mm dummy rounds available but I didn't have my .45 ACP dummy rounds with me. I mixed empty cases in with live rounds in 4 Chip McCormick 8-round Power Mags. My DW Valor ran flawlessly and had no problem chambering the empty cases. However 10-round Chip Power Mags didn't like it. What I experienced was a failure to feed with the live round above an empty case. It appeared the top round with empty case underneath presented to the feed ramp too low and stuck without riding up and in.

My live ammo was my usual 200 gn. lead SWC I load and never have any feeding issues using. Perhaps 230 gn. ball ammo might have functioned better.

The 10-round Chip mags are only for range use so I can participate in the 10-round timed drills. I honestly didn't know how well my 1911 would feed empty cases interspersed in a magazine. I was quite pleased that my 1911 ran through multiple magazines (8-round) without even a hiccup.

with my left hand bobbles at 3 yards.... I decided to shoot a 50 round qual course with all shots left handed.

That meant drawing from the right side, switching hands and reaching over with my right hand to grab left side mags. While I made all time limits.... I was well out of my comfort zone. It did not feel "right" (ha!) but its doable. A couple got close to being out of the main scoring area. I could feel anticipation, slapping trigger, support hand felt useless. I was talking to myself. I plan on incorporating alot more alternate hand in dry/live fire.

another issue I have with the issued MCOP is sights.

My preference is plain rear and fiber optic or hi vis front sight.

I decided to go BLAZE orange. If I cannot find this front sight.... I got problems.

Range officer's I own came with the 3 dot system as well. The front is Springfield's .125 fiber optic, in their version of red, which actually has a closer shade of orange red than really red.

Blacked out the rear dots, but my eyes still saw the dots as a distraction. Until I replace them with the 10-8 rear, I have found it easier to fill them with green lacquer, so it's just a matter of aligning green-red-green. It's working for the most part, tho I have had to sharpie the front sight to tone it down.

Name:  sights.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  23.6 KB

Blaze orange front sights have become a must for me. My Kimber has a Heinie black rear and the factory plain black sight got multiple generous coats of orange paint. The Ed Brown came with a Trijicon HD XR (orange circle around a tritium vial) and black u-notch. I don’t know which I like better but they’re both awesome. Your solution is probably exactly what I’d do to three dot night sights.

User Tag List