Page 62 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    It seem to me that EDC users of the 1911 are generally against FLGRs. Why is that?

Does the FLGR provide either a net positive or negative? What is it?
    Supposedly the net positive is that, as the gun recoils, the recoil spring doesn't bend inside its channel (the dust cover), making the gun smoother in recoil and control. I haven't seen anything or anyone that says such a thing is truly important to making the gun reliable.

Net negative: the 1911 is a gun you can take totally apart with your hands and empty 45 case. You add the FLGR and you need a tool.

The above assumes that you're not setting up your 1911 with any barrel different than a classic 1911 barrel, if you're using a bull barrel then it's a different game entirely.

Basically, for most users, you don't gain enough to make it worth the trouble.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Supposedly the net positive is that, as the gun recoils, the recoil spring doesn't bend inside its channel (the dust cover), making the gun smoother in recoil and control. I haven't seen anything or anyone that says such a thing is truly important to making the gun reliable.

Net negative: the 1911 is a gun you can take totally apart with your hands and empty 45 case. You add the FLGR and you need a tool.

The above assumes that you're not setting up your 1911 with any barrel different than a classic 1911 barrel, if you're using a bull barrel then it's a different game entirely.

Basically, for most users, you don't gain enough to make it worth the trouble.
    Any full length guide rods that have been in my guns have been removed immediately, along with replacing the hex-head grip screws as well. I want to be able to pull the gun apart with minimal tools.

The arguments around FLGRs tend to be like Ford versus Chevy; there is a lot of argument based on specific scenarios (racking the slide with a FLGR) or ease of cleaning (tools needed for takedown). And many people are dogmatic about their choices. Me, not so much. The FLGR eliminates any issues with fighting spring pressure during takedown or assembly, especially if one is trying to not turn a tightly-mated barrel bushing on the mated barrel surface. It is not a "need" but it does make things easier when being concerned about the barrel/barrel bushing fit.

According to my inventory spreadsheet, there are 26 1911-pattern pistols or builds pending in my safes. Eight of them have FLGRs installed. Of those eight, five have bushing barrels, so the FLGR is technically optional. In those with bushing barrels, the FLGR either came from the factory (STI) or were added to mitigate muzzle rise (9x23 Colt Series '80). Some FLGR are one-piece and need a paperclip to takedown, some are two-piece and unscrew with an Allen key, and some are tool-less (Dawson). I like the one-piece versions that need the paperclip because there is no concern over the two-piece unscrewing from recoil or the tool-less part engaging on its own. The one-piece is less likely to cause an issue than the other FLGR designs. The nice thing about the two-piece and tool-less is that takedown is a snap; the bad thing is new failure modes because takedown is a snap.

Just about every other modern pistol design has a FLGR in the recoil system, and many have captive recoil systems. That is one thing that has not become popular with the 1911. If there was a Glock-like captured recoil system for the 1911, I wonder how it would do in the market. The 1911-inspired Wilson EDC X9 has a FLGR but the recoil spring is not captive. No one seems to complain about the FLGR in it. But a captive recoil system would make things even easier and make the pistol for "Glock-like".

Nothing to add but gratitude for this thread from someone who is deciding to either throw down on a Wilson or just get a Staccato C2 or P.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

What mags do we like for a single-stack .45 for duty use? Picking up my Staccato R in .45 ACP this week.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    What mags do we like for a single-stack .45 for duty use? Picking up my Staccato R in .45 ACP this week.
    Wilson ETM, CMC Power Mag, Ed Brown (Checkmate),Tripp Cobra 8 rounders, are all good to go. There are others that work as well but these are the general preference.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    My preference is Tripp Super 7 follower kits inside Wilson or Metalform bodies. That being said, many .45 ACP magazines are GTG, including the Wilson Elite, OEM Colt, and Metalform.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    there are 26 1911-pattern pistols or builds pending in my safes
    Quoted just because. That’s impressive.

The Dawson guide rod in the newer STIs seems to work well. I don’t know if that design has been done before or not but it did make take down easier.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Mags and recoil springs

In my Dan Wesson A2, I have used CMC Power Mag, CMC RPM mag, Checkmate 7-round, DW 8-round flush-fit OEM mag, Springfield Armory OEM 7-round mag........all of which function perfectly. I prefer CMC Power Mag, but try a CMC RPM mag just to see how your like. The RPM has a different follower as an upgrade.

This Youtube video shows different strength recoil springs and the shooter points out the effects on slide movement on return forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UVLm2GajI

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have used CMC Power Mag, CMC RPM mag, Checkmate 7-round, DW 8-round flush-fit OEM mag, Springfield Armory OEM 7-round mag........all of which function perfectly. I prefer CMC Power Mag
    I'll echo most of that. I haven't found a particular type of magazine that my 1911's will not function with. I also prefer the CMC Power Mags. I went with Hilton Yam's recommendation and never looked back.

What I have discovered is that my Ed Brown 8-Pack magazines can lock up a 1911. Inserted with too much gusto on a slide lock reload the magazine will go in too far and lock the slide in place. I have experienced it with an Ed Brown & a Dan Wesson 1911. I only use the Ed Brown magazines on the range for obvious reasons. Doesn't happen with 7-round Ed Brown Mags. My sample set of EB 8-Pack mags is 2, each one acquired with separate EB pistols.

User Tag List