Page 99 of 256 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    I've been though this thread once and will undoubtedly be referring back to it... a lot. Thanks for everyone's contributions.
    I'm in a similar boat, and was actually already planning on posting the following after today's function test range trip:

Based on information and advice in this and related threads, my deep dive into 1911s has gone much more smoothly than it would have otherwise. Fortunately, my EVO KC9 didn't need any adjustments besides new grips, but the two Kimbers I've had for a while needed some work in order to serve as training guns and backups. Both have been fine as range toys, but some changes were in order for any other uses.

The stainless Team Match II needed its grip safety sensitized, and after that the Swartz safety needed to be tuned. I had Heinie install the fixed rear on this one, but I installed the standard length mag release and did the tuning on the safeties. Fortunately, all its fixed extractor needed to pass the 10-8 test with flying colors was an extra power spring from Wolff.
    ETA - I almost forgot, it also need the new plunger tube discussed upthread.

The blued Gold Match II needed the same Swartz safety tuning. I also replaced its plastic MSH with a Wilson, added the excellent Herrett grips recommended by multiple users here, installed the Heinie rear myself, and installed a short trigger from Wilson (it's primarily my wife's gun, and she really needed a short trigger). I've also tuned its extractor since it failed the 10-8 test today, pending confirmation that I got it right next time I'm at the range.

Simple as they are, most of those tasks would've been beyond me without advice from this thread and resources recommended here. Even things I was technically capable of, like replacing the springs and switching to government recoil spring setups, were still easier due to this thread. So likewise, thanks all for the help. Most PF threads are full of great info, but this one in particular is a gold mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Elwin; 03-28-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I got the Springer MCOP GEN 1 back

A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from Springfield indicating the bill was $212. I was "WH WHA WHAT".... as my letter specifically said for any charges to contact me first since I would have to get it approved through Admin. I later spoke to a supervisor in charge of approving purchases and they approved the purchase but I also requested 5 mags. With a "look", it was approved.

The Springer person I spoke with said they would send me an email with itemized list/costs. I never got the email, and I sent them emails that returned failed and no one would answer the phone. This went on for over a week. I finally got someone to answer the following week and they told me their computer system was hacked which sent phones and computers down. They were still on recovery mode and I was lucky that the phone call went through. A few days later.... I finally spoke to the person in warranty who had the MCOP and he said they replaced the sights, thumb safety, and trigger/sear pin. I told him that I needed to get the costs approved and requested the night sights be removed for the original sights. He said they could go back with non night sights as they were cheaper. They must have thrown my night sights away. I gave my work credit card info and they told me the bill was $147 with regular sights. I was ok with that as I am not a night sight fan.

Since their computers were still down, they faxed me an invoice a day later. It was for $67 and I was scratching my head. Two days ago I got an emailed invoiced with the same $67.

Today I got the MCOP back.... factory MIM ambi safety, sear/trigger pin replaced and I noticed night sights.... I figured they were the old night sights.

I brought it home to oil so I can shoot/qual the next day and took a better look at the sights.... they are brand new marked 21!

The package also had a test target. I hope this gun runs!!!! Still got the buggered up grip screws!

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

All of that for $212 was a good deal; $67 is a steal even with regular sights!! Heck, shipping a pistol has to cost $20. The only real snag was the comms failure.

I assume the old night sights go back to the sight supplier for disposal due to the NRC issues versus being tossed into the trash. Could be wrong.

I hope it runs well and goes on duty with you.

I'd say it is a helluva deal! But I never require approval prior to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    For those of you that have the option to carry a 1911 on duty, and consistent with the rigors of keeping them running (as per the original purpose of this thread), what makes you choose this over other options out there?

ETA: I carry a 1911 almost every day but I am a concealed carry guy.
    I carry a G17 concealed for work the majority of the time. Only non concealed for ops. I carry a 1911 concealed on my own time. I shoot both guns pretty well but I'm no Olympic shooter.

The 1911 for me is an easier gun to shoot, with greater accuracy. I'm not concerned about using the G17. It is a good gun. The 1911 is just a better gun when making those difficult shots or longer distance shots. I don't have to "work" as hard to get as tight a group. That is a "clue" in my line of work. Again, I'm not knocking the G17, I run one every day. I'm just saying I find the 1911 to be better at many things that make the juice worth the squeeze. Trigger, ergonomics, ability to conceal all go the 1911. The G17 wins in capacity but then I just say Stacatto P, which is just a 1911 with more BBs. My thing on guns for carry is, it shouldn't really be an argument. If you show up with a gun that runs, take your training seriously and are squared away, then rock what you brought within reason. If we are working on a cattle ranch, you don't turn down a guy assisting on field work because he drives a Ford pickup and you like Chevy.

I maintain both guns, is a similar manner whenever used or carried. Outside of spring replacement at 3K in rounds for the 1911, I haven't see any real difference. Again, this is just for an average, "line guy". I'm not pumping thousands of rounds downrange every week. Pre-Covid I was about 3K in rounds a year through both guns.

One closing comment...I was shooting my 1911 at the work range one day after training was over. The 1911 is a Kimber Series I, Full Size GOV, nothing "fancy".Basically, extra time to use the facilities. A few others were doing the same thing. We were practicing on moving targets at 15 yards. After a while, competition began to arise and the "loser buys the coffee" challenge or something along those lines came out. Another guy, as qualified as me, if not better was standing there with a HK 9MM. Without missing a beat his comment about me competing was, "It's not fair, he is using a 1911".
    Last edited by Tango; 04-05-2021 at 08:47 PM.

I have a DW Point man carry 9mm (4.25 barrel and officer slide) what recoil springs and other parts should I keep on hand? I used to shoot 4inch wilson combat 9mm 1911s but never really got far enough of a round count on them to have to mess with them or wanted to tinker. This is my 30th birthday present to myself and was supposed to be a fun gun but I forgot how much I missed having a 1911..

I'm not seeing an issue with the firearm in question, weather it's striker, DA/SA or SA. If you can shoot it well and it runs then it isn't an issue.

As long as you can slap another mag in who cares?

My apologies to the revolver crowd in advance. I carry one on the trails.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-05-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    "It's not fair, he is using a 1911".
    Well known fact.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have a DW Point man carry 9mm (4.25 barrel and officer slide) what recoil springs and other parts should I keep on hand? I used to shoot 4inch wilson combat 9mm 1911s but never really got far enough of a round count on them to have to mess with them or wanted to tinker. This is my 30th birthday present to myself and was supposed to be a fun gun but I forgot how much I missed having a 1911..
    Nice gun . I would replace the recoil spring with a 12 pounder every 3-5k rounds. No other springs or parts should require routine replacement until you're well into the tens.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    You might want to keep a prefitted extractor on hand, just for the sake of convenience. I've had extractors last into round counts in the high five digits and others crap out within a few thousand. I've had a few pistols that had other parts failures, while the extractor kept on going. You just never know, so it's convenient to have one on hand you can just drop in and keep going.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List