Page 143 of 256 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

I use a BBQ lighter. Stick the front end of the rod out a little and move the lighter in until it begins to bulb then pull the rod back into the sight. For the rear I use a toenail clipper and snip it pretty close to the back of the sight (muzzle end) then same thing, the bulb pulls right in.

I suppose you could use a heat gun or a small butance torch: https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...YaAqoLEALw_wcB

The BBQ lighters work for me and I always have one laying around the area.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

thanks Robinson and Dan

I actually did this before I read your posts, but I went digging in a drawer and found a BBQ lighter. I fixed the gun in a vise with the muzzle angled downward and slowly moved the heat toward the rod with the BBQ lighter.

This image is magnified but the bulb is too big. It will eventually break with the holster.

I like the toenail clipper idea as I have been using a micro craftsman snippers. Those snippers cuts with too much overhang.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I've always cut the rods with a scalpel or Xacto knife.
    I use one of those mini butane/crack pipe lighters to create the bulb to secure the fiber rod.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I would heat a blade (box cutter, Exacto knife) to cut that off.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    I would heat a blade (box cutter, Exacto knife) to cut that off.
    The final word on dawson fiber replacement-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mx2Hg06Q4Y

There you go. Simple and clean.

Well Hell, I have seen numerous videos but not that one for 2010. Very simple.

thanks

I had my Colt dovetailed for a FO sight years ago and whatever method I used to melt the ends seemed to work along with a dab of super glue in the channel. Now I'm using a Trijicon XD XR front sight with a 10-8 NM rear. I really like this combo. The big orange dot on the front is easy to pick up, just as easy as the FO and the blade is thinner.

I am kinda "stuck" with that front sight on my 2008 MCOP.

I bought this piece used (200 rnds) in 2008/09.

Down the road, when I tried to change the factory front night sight, an oversized front sight would slide through the dovetail.

There was alot of dried loctite to fill space.

I center punched the front sight base to move metal to increase retention.

When I decided F/O front was for me, I sent my slide to Dawson after consulting with someone via email that my dovetail was oversized.

When they had my slide, I got a call from them saying my dovetail was too big and who messed with it. I guess I was convincing... that's how it came as the person on the other end of the line saying it could not be done.

I got the slide back with a front sight installed. I will not attempt to remove unless its damaged and it will go back to Dawson if it needs replacing.

My guess, I got a Friday afternoon or Monday morning dovetail. My feed ramp in the frame is also short, must have been the same worker on dovetails and feedramps.

here is my piece in 2009, when it came back from SACS

If you have money and time and are married to that specific slide, there are quite a few gunsmiths who can fill the dovetail, weld it up, and re-cut it to be in spec. Evolution Armory is one that immediately springs to mind, but there's quite a few more out there that I've seen do it, on 1911forum and 1911addicts.

Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with ordering a new slide from Remsport, Caspian, or JEM and having a new top end fitted...?

Again, it entirely depends on how deep your pockets are, how much time you're willing to spend on it?

User Tag List