Page 105 of 256 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2554

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

0.004" from center translates to 0.6" error at 25 yards if I did the proper calculations properly. I am a bit anal and need to eliminate my excuses, so I would try to shrink that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    0.004" from center translates to 0.6" error at 25 yards if I did the proper calculations properly. I am a bit anal and need to eliminate my excuses, so I would try to shrink that a bit.
    Well hopefully my over 58 shakiness will allow for that error.

I will re qualify with it this week.

I did a minor snafu, (maybe not) in that my Gen 2 had a .375 rear sight, so that’s what I ordered.

When I took off the rear Novak style, it was a .325. But I recalled my last qual, my shots were low at POA.

So, maybe I will be ok.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

It’s a killer sight combo though, so here’s hoping it works out for you.

I put it together.....

cheap G10 grips
    grip tape front strap
    2 pc springer magwell
    10-8 rear sight
    painted front tritium sight
    extended extractor rear (like hard rock candy... its for looking at)

ready for duty carry.

I measured the rear sight again at work where I have better lighting and the table is perfect height... its perfectly centered. I got lucky.

Hope to qual on Thursday.

10-8 rear sight

I have the same 10-8 sight on my Springfield Loaded. It’s black with horizontal lines on sight blade. My first U-notch sight. I think I got the taller of the two. Quality sight.

I also purchased my DW Valkyrie 9mil back.

I bought it new and it was a shooter. I made the dumb mistake of getting rid of it because of the finicky 9mil single stack mags.

I will focus on 9 round mags and bought me some Ed Brown 9s.

I dont like the recoil spring in it (seems very light).... so I will play the waiting game with Wolff and wait for some fresh 13#s.

I also have a Stan Chen Magwell on the way for it and will eventually chunk the funky looking trigger for an all black solid long Harrison.

On the lookout for some VZ black scoop magwell bottom Diamond Back.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I bought it new and it was a shooter. I made the dumb mistake of getting rid of it because of the finicky 9mil single stack mags.
    My impulse buy 9mm Springfield RO turned out to be accurate (dumb luck), and since it has run reliably with the "Springfield/Leatham" Metalforms, that is what I actually buy. But so far, it also runs with most other magazines without troubles... as long as I don't put the last round in.

They are wonderful but quirky things.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Ran out to qual....

no practice.... COLD but I wish it was cold. It was so humid... it was miserable.

My assignment changed at work.... so I was in plain clothes moving offices when I ran down to the range.

I did not tuck my shirt in (to save time).... and it caused me some draw issues with an old Comp-Tac open top holster I have.

50 round course (5 from 25 yards, 10 from 15 yds, 15 from 7 yds and so on)

I decided to shoot up my duty ammo (SNAPPY full patch 230 Gold Dot)

I aimed high-high (meaning as best as I could see at 12 o'clock on the circle) center mass and my first 5 shots from 25 were just above the circle.

I aimed the same at 15 yards.

I did have a mishap at 7 yards on what we call the fast 5 which is 5 shots in under 5 seconds from a ready position. I chose to draw from the holster to challenge myself.

My hand also grabbed shirt and for what ever reason... (IIRC) after shot #3 was a dead trigger. I quickly inspected my gun and the slide was back but not locked to the rear.
    I went to do my TAP and this happened so quick... I cant recall what was the cause but the slide went fwd and I continued shooting to finish the drill as I was on a timer.
    It is my best guess my grip (remember 3X hands) was not correct which may have interrupted slide travel. I did not make the 5 second time limit.

and then the usual low right shots from left hand only as I snatched the trigger from hell. And I have been dry practicing with my left.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 06-10-2021 at 12:30 PM.

I wouldn’t like to be on the receiving end of any of those rounds!

Does anyone have any experience with the Accu-rail method of tightening the frame to slide fit? I’m looking at someone’s bullseye pistol to add to the 1911 accumulation and it’s had that work done.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List