Page 242 of 256 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    The mag is actually only a few range trips (maybe 150 rounds) old. Somehow it did get a dent in the tube body right near where the round feeds into the gun, and the follower does seem to stick a bit more than my 47Ds. I am guessing the dent came from hitting the mag body on the inside of the magazine release a bit too hard. (Not trying to blame the GF, but she was with me last range trip and can be a bit aggressive with mag insertion).

Regardless, it caused me pause because it’s a well regarded magazine and because I got literally one shot off from the way I was carrying it and it malf’d.
    I wouldn't replace the offending magazine. Even Wilson CS will tell you that their magazine springs require time to set. I had problems with their 10mm magazines and CS advised to load them and let them set a few days before using again. I wouldn't make the single stoppage more than it is. This is why I no longer wait the "500 rounds" before carrying a gun, because if the gun experiences a stoppage at round 508, what does that prove?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Yeah I'd concur, mag issue of some kind - either the previous round was weak and the slide came back quicker than usual, or the mag spring is worn and needs to be replaced - either way it sounds like it couldn't present the round quick enough and the slide almost over ran it.

How old is the mag, how many cycles through it? ETMs are supposed to come with flat wire super long lasting HD springs, but...anything can wear and fail.
    There are 2 versions of the ETM, the standard one has round wire springs. The ETM HD/+P has the flat wire spring. You can buy the flat wire springs to upgrade the standard ETM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    There are 2 versions of the ETM, the standard one has round wire springs. The ETM HD/+P has the flat wire spring. You can buy the flat wire springs to upgrade the standard ETM.
    Ahh, true, I had forgotten about the "lesser" version - I only buy the HD+P, or ETM-V(ickers). Ran into issues when suppressing a 1911 without the HD+P mags, and the Vickers mags take the ETM +P and make it even better by finally fixing the follower to have the little dimple in it.

Now if only they'd make the Vickers mags in a flush-fitting 7 round format...at least they make the HD+Ps in that format, which is great for carry.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I don't know if this is the dent you have, but the ETM mags do have a design feature dent at the top/right/front of the tube to help clear the mag catch.
    Yeah ETMs have a little indent at the top right front of the mag, right before or even on the curve at the front of the body...I've got a handful of them and they all look like that.
    Ok, I think this is normal then. The mag was loaded for carry and stayed that way for a couple days prior to me shooting it, but it’s an 8 rounder and I had the +1 in the chamber. Wonder if that caused a weird issue?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I wouldn't replace the offending magazine. Even Wilson CS will tell you that their magazine springs require time to set. I had problems with their 10mm magazines and CS advised to load them and let them set a few days before using again. I wouldn't make the single stoppage more than it is. This is why I no longer wait the "500 rounds" before carrying a gun, because if the gun experiences a stoppage at round 508, what does that prove?
    Fair enough. I may try the HD/Vickers ETMs and see if they bring any more luck. Honestly, though, the 47Ds are sold locally and work well enough I may just buy more of those. Granted my 47Ds do have more rounds on them than the ETM does, so that may be part of the equation.

Wilson magazine sale

This may have been mentioned, but Wilson Combat is having a 20% off magazine sale. Then, if you buy 5 1911 magazines, they'll thrown in a free magazine. I only checked the .45acp caliber, so I can't say if other calibers are on sale.

https://wilsoncombat.com/accessories...zine_type=3710

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    Ok, I think this is normal then. The mag was loaded for carry and stayed that way for a couple days prior to me shooting it, but it’s an 8 rounder and I had the +1 in the chamber. Wonder if that caused a weird issue?

Fair enough. I may try the HD/Vickers ETMs and see if they bring any more luck. Honestly, though, the 47Ds are sold locally and work well enough I may just buy more of those. Granted my 47Ds do have more rounds on them than the ETM does, so that may be part of the equation.
    47Ds and other Wilson 45acp 8 round mags (that are NOT the HD+Ps or Vickers mags) are NOTORIOUS for having mag springs go bad, fast. Especially ones that try to shove 8 rounds into a 7 round body (like the 47D).

The days of "The 47D is the standard" ended in like 2006. 47s (regular 7 rounders) last longer, spring-wise.

Seriously - either to go Wilson's site and order some replacement springs, or spring (pardon the pun) for the flat-wire spring upgrade to the 47D and any other Wilson mag you may have that don't have the flat springs in them already - you'll notice it reduces capacity by 1 for the 47D at least...well, sort of; as the spring breaks in you'll find you can stuff an 8th round in there still, but it took a year of hard usage on mine to get it to that point.

I have no real idea if the "regular" ETMs ever fully solved that problem but if they're using the same spring from the 47D in their non-flatwire applications, then I'd guess no, they haven't fixed that problem. I could be wrong, but since you just had a failure to present and feed...not sure that I am.

tl;dr - replace your mag springs ASAP, all of them, in all of your non-flat wire spring Wilson mags. If you're going to use them a bunch, plan on a 6 month replacement policy...or at least be prepared for random failure to feed on things that cycle fast (Commanders, smaller length guns, or guns shooting +P) after a few months of use. It's the nature of the beast with Wilsons, sadly...

47Ds and other Wilson 45acp 8 round mags (that are NOT the HD+Ps or Vickers mags) are NOTORIOUS for having mag springs go bad, fast. Especially ones that try to shove 8 rounds into a 7 round body (like the 47D).

The days of "The 47D is the standard" ended in like 2006. 47s (regular 7 rounders) last longer, spring-wise.

Seriously - either to go Wilson's site and order some replacement springs, or spring (pardon the pun) for the flat-wire spring upgrade to the 47D and any other Wilson mag you may have that don't have the flat springs in them already - you'll notice it reduces capacity by 1 for the 47D at least...well, sort of; as the spring breaks in you'll find you can stuff an 8th round in there still, but it took a year of hard usage on mine to get it to that point.

I have no real idea if the "regular" ETMs ever fully solved that problem but if they're using the same spring from the 47D in their non-flatwire applications, then I'd guess no, they haven't fixed that problem. I could be wrong, but since you just had a failure to present and feed...not sure that I am.

tl;dr - replace your mag springs ASAP, all of them, in all of your non-flat wire spring Wilson mags. If you're going to use them a bunch, plan on a 6 month replacement policy...or at least be prepared for random failure to feed on things that cycle fast (Commanders, smaller length guns, or guns shooting +P) after a few months of use. It's the nature of the beast with Wilsons, sadly...
    After reading this post, I looked at the Wilson site and it seems the regular ETMs do not come with the flatwire spring standard. Rather, it seems those are limited to the HD/+p ETMs. I can apparently put the spring upgrade into the existing ETM, but cannot do that with a 47D.

I am going to try to squeeze a couple bucks for new HD ETMs and a spring kit for my existing and will try again. I don’t know how hard I’m actually going to use this gun, but i like to shoot it and carry it sometimes so better safe than sorry I suppose.

Are there any other options for 47Ds? Like Wolff or ISMI?

All I see for flat wire from Wilson are for ETM bodies. If the ETM spring works I don't care if it's capacity is dropped to 7.

Edit to add: The following comment was for @thatguybryan

It's your money, but I wouldn't chase the flat wire spring.

Note @Evil_Ed's comment is with respect to using a suppressor. If that's what you're doing, or using nothing but +P ammo - which I don't see much advantage to - the HD/+P mags, or using the flatwire springs may be worthwhile, otherwise the springs in a non-overstuffed Wilson mag (not a 47D) such as a 47 or any of the ETM models should function just fine for a very long time.
    Last edited by JTQ; 10-18-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Are there any other options for 47Ds? Like Wolff or ISMI?
    The 47D problem is that the tube is too short for 8 rounds.

That's why the ETM's should be fine, because they have a longer tube. The full size 7 round 47 springs function fine and last a very long time. The reason, it uses a tube designed for 7 rounds. The 47D uses the same tube as the 7 round 47, which compromises the spring. The ETM uses a longer tube, designed for 8 rounds. You should expect the same performance from a baseline ETM as a full size 7 round 47, which is a great mag.

User Tag List