Page 203 of 256 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

If you like being separated from you money go ahead Buff away. If one is good two has to be better. If you put enough buffers in there you gun won't run and then you will never have to worry about wear!

Seriously, replace the recoil spring on a regular basis. If you purchase Wolff Springs you get a new firing pin spring in the package. Replace them both.

Thank you everyone who recommended Ed Brown 9mm magazines. I bought 2 and tested them this weekend in my new Colt Commander and they functioned flawlessly. I am going to be ordering more.

I have to say, I have shot many 1911s but haven’t owned one until now. I can’t believe I waited this long—it is awesome and I’m going to keep putting rounds through it. So far, I have just shy of 300 rounds of ammo through it and it has run beautifully (including with 124+p HSTs).

Today at the range I was working transition drills on a single target (brisk pace, no timer, indoor range). The guy next to me said “Cheater, using that staccato.” When I heard him I stopped and said “Huh?” and he said “I said cheater, using that….wait, what is that?” I said a stock 9mm Colt Commander. His eyes got huge and we both laughed.

I ended up shooting his Staccato P with dot and his buddies Staccato P & CS’ with dots. Very nice guns as well. I sense more 1911/2011 style guns in my future…

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    I have to say, I have shot many 1911s but haven’t owned one until now. I can’t believe I waited this long—it is awesome and I’m going to keep putting rounds through it.

I sense more 1911/2011 style guns in my future…
    Name:  BAC913F9-5760-42C8-8D46-78F8D09DDAAF.jpeg
Views: 488
Size:  46.9 KB

Welcome to the Cult!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Random question that occurred to me last night. What modifications are done to get a .45 to feed full wadcutters or even empties? Is it mainly barrel work or a combination of dimensions?

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Random question that occurred to me last night. What modifications are done to get a .45 to feed full wadcutters or even empties? Is it mainly barrel work or a combination of dimensions?
    Just my opinion, but I consider both of those examples to be outside the design parameters of the 1911 pistol. It may even be true that a 1911 that feeds empty cases will not always feed normal loaded ammunition properly.

If one wanted a gun to feed empty cases or full wadcutters just "because reasons" I don't know the way to accomplish that. But I'm not sure I would want a 1911 that had those particular modifications done to it.

Thanks, I wasn’t really sure if they were a thing or not. I’m aware of some .38 wadcutter pistols and I thought it was also done with .45s but I haven’t done any digging around.

Just one of those random things that pop into my head as I’m drifting off to sleep.

Thanks, I wasn’t really sure if they were a thing or not. I’m aware of some .38 wadcutter pistols and I thought it was also done with .45s but I haven’t done any digging around.

Just one of those random things that pop into my head as I’m drifting off to sleep.
    In one of Jim Cirillo’s books, he talks about how he would hand-load his own ammunition for one of his partners that carried a 1911. He’d breach-load a wadcutter round in the chamber of the 1911, then the mag would be loaded with normal rounds.

That’s the only example of wadcutters I’ve seen in a 1911.

Smith and Wesson nailed it with the 4506.
    It fed wadcutters and, would feed a full mag of empty casings when hand cycled.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

IIRC, the bullet nose is a very important part of the feeding cycle because of the steep angle the 45 cartridge assumes in feeding. That said, I've seen some very short 45 wadcutter designs for 45 acp.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Follow up to my post from last week:

I suspect my Wilson 1911's slide might be short-stroking due to the pressure of a full 10+1 .45 mag. I was using the springs as it came from the factory (18 lb recoil spring, 21 lb mainspring). The gun feeds the top round just fine when I reload from slide lock on a full 10 rd mag, and it cycles fine with 9+1. 8 rd mags have no issues whatsoever even topped off to 8+1. It's only when I top off a 10 rd mag to 10+1 that after the first round is fired the next round nosedives into the feedramp about 30-40% of the time. This happened with multiple mags from both Wilson and CMC.

One thing that confuses me is that I had a much higher failure rate with Federal HST 230 gr hollow points compared to range ammo. I had thought the HST's would be hotter which would help the slide cycle fully.

I'm wondering why my gun would be short stroking, especially when other people's guns with heavier springs (i.e. 18.5 or 20 lb recoil spring and 23 lb mainspring) run just fine. What are things that I could try to alleviate this problem? Lighter recoil spring or mainspring?

User Tag List