Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 .45 Junkers

Site Supporter

1911 .45 Junkers

I was just thinking about the possibility of buying a 1911 .45 junker at a gun show to practice taking it completely apart and, of course reassembling it. Gun shows are rather infrequent in my area, but I should make it a point to attend when available. The question is, how often do you come across 1911s in battered condition, and how much do they typically sell for. I may as well also ask if buying a junker to learn on is a viable thing to pursue?

Tell it to me straight!

A lot of dremmel firearms butchery tends to be similar to really bad carpentry- it's reallllyyyy difficult to put material back when too much has been removed.

You'd be better off tinkering on a cheap Tias than trying to fix some Bubba's mistakes- unless you are a really good welder & machinist.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I was just thinking about the possibility of buying a 1911 .45 junker at a gun show to practice taking it completely apart and, of course reassembling it. Gun shows are rather infrequent in my area, but I should make it a point to attend when available. The question is, how often do you come across 1911s in battered condition, and how much do they typically sell for. I may as well also ask if buying a junker to learn on is a viable thing to pursue?

Tell it to me straight!
    Your Mil-Spec will be a perfect gun to learn on when it comes to maintenance, lubrication, disassembly, and reassembly. If you really want a lower priced backup to your Mil-Spec, consider a Tisas 1911A1. You should be able to snag one for under 400 bucks.

Site Supporter
    edited: not a super helpful first reply attempt.

Your Mil Spec is the perfect gun to learn on and tinker with. I went through a similar experiment when learning how the 1911 worked and I'm grateful in hindsight I dove in rather than spending more money on multiple 1911s from the start.
    Last edited by centex; 03-19-2024 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I was just thinking about the possibility of buying a 1911 .45 junker at a gun show to practice taking it completely apart and, of course reassembling it.
    This practice can be obtained with a completely functional budget 1911 from Tisas or Rock Island or (depending on budget) a lower-end Springfield. There's no benefit, financial or practical, to buying a "junker" gun.

Gun shows are rather infrequent in my area, but I should make it a point to attend when available.
    Don't. Gun shows are the worst unless you're really into bad information, overpriced broken guns, Chinese stun guns, and beef jerky. You will not find a "shooter grade" (completely functional but visibly scuffed) 1911 at a gun show for a reasonable price. You'd have an easier time getting useful shooting advice from a Cabela's salesman than finding a deal at a gun show.

The question is, how often do you come across 1911s in battered condition, and how much do they typically sell for. I may as well also ask if buying a junker to learn on is a viable thing to pursue?

Tell it to me straight!
    A truly battered 1911 is a destroyed gun. Idiots dremel feed ramps and barrel throats, strip grip bushings, crack barrel feet, file lugs and hoods below spec, and crack framerails pretending to be gunsmiths in an effort not to pay an actual gunsmith to do work. They sell for too much because they're worth $0 dollars. The only person that might eke an iota of value from a bubba-screwed 1911 is a gunsmithing student that needs to practice welding.

You can do a lot of learning and familiarization with an imported budget 1911. And the upside is, it will be a safe and shootable firearm.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Don't. Gun shows are the worst unless you're really into bad information, overpriced broken guns, Chinese stun guns, and beef jerky. You will not find a "shooter grade" (completely functional but visibly scuffed) 1911 at a gun show for a reasonable price. You'd have an easier time getting useful shooting advice from a Cabela's salesman than finding a deal at a gun show.
    I thought I'd just become excessively curmudgeonly in my old age, but I haven't even bothered to go to a local show in over three years now. I've seen nothing but overpriced junk at the local shows. The "big" show at the State Fairgrounds is MAYBE a little better, POSSIBLE to find something that's priced OK (not great, but OK), but you have to pay $10 to park and $15 to get in, AND deal with a lot of Cleeti. Just not worth it to me anymore...

@Danko

There is a giant 1911 thread called, "The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running"

It is located here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-1911-Running

You've started at least five or six new very basic 1911 threads on here in the past month. The purpose of this forum is to learn and share information, but sometimes it's better to search rather than starting a new thread to rehash questions that have been asked and answered several times already.

Using either the search feature or sitting and taking the time to read through that thread will likely answer most of your questions.

Like I told you in another thread, go buy a new Springifield Garrison or used Springfield Loaded (either can be had for ~$600-$700 if you look), some Wilson or CMC mags, and just go shoot it and play with it. Keep it well lubed and change the recoil and firing pin spring every 2,500 rounds or so (use a Wolff chrome silicone spring pack) and that is all you will have to do. If something breaks, which it probably won't, call Springfield and they will fix it under warranty. There is literally nothing else you will need to worry or learn about.

Unless you are shooting cases of ammo on the regular it will serve you just fine.

Site Supporter

Gun Shows

I never attended a gun show. Around here, they're always promoted as "Gun & Knife" shows. I don't now if that's typical. I have to attend the next one near to me to see what goes on there and what sorts of pistols are for sale. My gun interest is strictly pistols.

A couple of you gave me the best possible solution, buy a Tisas A1 to disassemble/reassemble, as a way to learn about the gun's parts and functions. The Tisas can be my learning model, while my Mil Spec will be my high end model. I ordered a Mil Spec yesterday from a local gun shop. It came out to be a couple nickels shy of 700 bucks with tax. That's relatively high end for me.

Referring to Trooper224s post on the Tisas 1911, I read through all the comments and found many members talking about upgrading a couple, few, or more of its parts. That struck me as rather odd, as I immediately thought why wouldn't these guys buy a 800-1500 dollar gun that was built better to begin with. After all spending a few hundred bucks on upgrades would leave them with essentially the same gun, at the same price as a more expensive model.

After learning more and having more time to reflect on the concept, I understand why some would buy an inexpensive gun and upgrade some of its parts. It's not all about improving the gun's functioning and reliability, it's half to do with gaining hands on experience replacing parts and simply learning more about the gun. I've changed my "evil ways" and now fully respect and appreciate the idea of upgrading an inexpensive gun. I totally get it. I'm going to buy a Tisas A1 to disassemble and reassemble it so I gain the much needed hands-on learning experience. I won't be doing any parts swapping until I can confidently disassemble and reassemble the gun. I really want to avoid walking into a gun shop with a box full of parts and asking the armorer to please put my gun back together! Oh my, the shame!

Site Supporter
    It's not rocket surgery though.

When I was younger and dumber (well...OK maybe the same general level of dumb...but younger) I built a 1911 from parts having never fully disassembled a 1911. I just used YouTube videos and 1911 forums.

Just be careful and disassemble your Springfield. You don't need to drop 400 bucks on a practice mule for disassembly practice unless you just really wanna get another gun.

@Danko

In addition to @KevH's excellent advice, from the outside looking in it appears you're putting the cart before the horse, here. You haven't even gotten your first gun yet. You just ordered it. You don't even own it yet.

You might want to just relax for a bit and actually go shoot your gun at least once before you go buying another or making any plans to tinker.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List