Page 104 of 253 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2528

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    ve fit 3 triggers before and never had an issue.

This one I can't get it to either not drag the mag or feel rough in the frame.

Any tips?
    Is it the shoe or the bow that's causing issues?

Try dropping the trigger in backwards, bow first. See if/where that hangs up and work from there. I had a Harrison trigger that was too wide, of all things...the bow was too thick. I wound up having to sand it down on each side of the bow just to get it into the frame. The top/bottom were fine, zero wiggle and no drag...but just too thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Is it the shoe or the bow that's causing issues?

Try dropping the trigger in backwards, bow first. See if/where that hangs up and work from there. I had a Harrison trigger that was too wide, of all things...the bow was too thick. I wound up having to sand it down on each side of the bow just to get it into the frame. The top/bottom were fine, zero wiggle and no drag...but just too thick.
    Its the bow.

Right now its smooth in the frame but pinches the mag on one spot on each side. Everytime I try to adjust it i go just a hair to much.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Tapping the bow with a hammer on a magazine worked perfectly.

Site Supporter
    A babbitt bar works even better. Heavy and non marring, I use a 35 lb linotype "bar" to adjust things but not guns.

Follow up to my issued Gen 1 MCOP and personal Gen 2 MCOP

I had a older Ed Brown 2 pc MSH/magwell laying around that I fitted to the frame (had to removed about 3/16" rail and taper it so the mainspring pin hole would line up with the frame hole). The grip safety would not pass inspection as the trigger was not blocked by the grip safety extension. I attempted to provide additional engagement by filing the top of the mainspring housing. What I noticed the grip safety tabs which interact with the top of the mainspring housing had a huge gap and ever so slightly caught the edge of the mainspring housing.

I returned to the factory ILS mainspring housing but I want a magwell to improve the process of speed reloads.

I called Springer in a attempt to get another grip safety. They would not sell me one as they said it needed to be fitted. I told them I was the lead armorer for the dept and had been to a couple of armorers 1911 classes. They were supposed to call me back on the status but never heard from them and my workload kept me from following up.

I obtained a hardly used Springfield Armory 2pc MSH/magwell from a TRP (which also had the ILS). I had to file the same top rails in order for the MSH pin hole to line up with the frame.. Hoping, it would work however same issue.... trigger easily defeats the grip safety.

I decided to pull my personal MCOP and remove that grip safety and test fit on the dept MCOP.

Drop fit and trigger block was perfect. Upon inspected of both Springer factory grip safeties, (Gen 1) the section of the grip safety thats interacts with the top of the MSH is much shorter than the Gen 2 grip safety.

In appears the Gen 1 grip safety is out of spec. I plan to follow up with Springfield Armory in the very near future.

the green grip safety on the left was installed on Gen 1 MCOP (right side of pic) and passes inspection.

Maybe this will help with your beavertail problems: http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Static/Beavertails.htm As I recall in Hilton Yam's 1911 Duty Tune DVD he used a Wilson Grip Safety to replace the factory grip safety in the Range Operator he was tuning. If it will help I'll go back and see what Wilson Grip Safety he used. You could also call Wilson Combat and ask.

I just installed a low lever BP safety from wilson to help mitigate some occasional failure to disengage from my lw champions grip safety.

Easy install but man it feels weird.

I never have had a failure to disengage my loadeds grip safety buy with my former mcop and my lw champion it happens here and there.

My loaded has a wilson wide BP thumb safety. I think I should of gone with another wide one instead of the low one

Here is the Gen 1 grip safety installed on my Gen 2 frame.

I believe its out of spec and or the trigger bar block overcut.

I circled the area that I am calling short. My Gen 2 grip safety does not have this much gap and the gap installed on the Gen 1 frame is much greater.

This grip safety installed on this frame also does not meet inspection.

Follow up

I tried to get Springer to send me a grip safety but they said it was a regulated safety item, I had to send the MCOP GEN 1 back.

I finally got it back today and got approved to purchase a better for me rear sight. I had not installed a rear sight in a few years. This one needed alot of filing to fit... but it went on interference fit and is .004" off from perfect center. I think thats good enough.

User Tag List