Page 23 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Where are these inexpensive multi-packs of ETM's at? I'm finding them for $32-$35 per magazine but can't seem to do better than that.
    I think somebody gave a Brownell's sale link earlier in the thread, but in any case, here it is...

Three for $83

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...%7cMake_3=1911

Site Supporter
    Well, I finally got my Commander to run with eight-rounders. It took a 20 lb. recoil spring, full power mainspring, and mostly-square-edged firing pin stop. The problem was feeding the last round, apparently the slide was just moving too fast. Now I don't have to sell those Wilson ETMs I bought to try. I just wish that pistol wasn't such a whiny little bitch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Well, I finally got my Commander to run with eight-rounders. It took a 20 lb. recoil spring, full power mainspring, and mostly-square-edged firing pin stop. The problem was feeding the last round, apparently the slide was just moving too fast. Now I don't have to sell those Wilson ETMs I bought to try. I just wish that pistol wasn't such a whiny little bitch.
    What springs were you using before? If you were lower than a 20lb recoil and not using a full power firing pin spring I'm not surprised that the gun wouldn't run 8 rounders.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    What springs were you using before? If you were lower than a 20lb recoil and not using a full power firing pin spring I'm not surprised that the gun wouldn't run 8 rounders.

I was using an 18.5 lb. ISMI recoil spring, already had the other stuff on it. IIRC, 18.5 lbs. is factory spec for hardball-equivalent loads for Commanders. I had tried the 20 lb. spring before and recall I had issues with the muzzle dipping when the slide went forward, but I think that was before I installed the firing pin stop. No muzzle dip now.

Site Supporter
    I use a 18lb recoil and 23lb main for hardball in a 5" gun and it tracks better than just about any combo I've tried thus far, but ymmv

You need the flat wire heavy springs in those mags if you don't have 'em.

Commanders are generally whiny little bitches.

Have you tried ammo with lighter weight bullets?

Here's a tidbit from the Wilson FAQ section on ammo for compact guns...

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/

All the mechanical changes are important, but the biggest factor is ammunition selection because it affects both slide cycle speed and the magazine’s ability to lift the cartridge into position for proper feeding. Ammunition loaded with 230gr bullets generate more recoil impulse (especially +P loads) than 185gr loads, and 7 rounds of 185gr ammunition weighs 315gr less than 7 rounds of 230gr ammunition, making the column of ammunition easier for the magazine spring to lift. I hope you see where I’m going here?

Site Supporter
    @JTQ - I've read that and considered it. I decided against going that route because a) there are no non-boutique light-bullet loads on Doc's list and b) my other two .45 ACP guns, an M&P and an S&W M22-4, are regulated for the 230-grain loads (actually, so is the Commander) and I have no desire to load* two distinct loads for the same caliber. The Commander seems to like standard velocity 230-grain HST now that it's working, so that's what I'm going with.

*I load all my .45 ACP practice ammo.

Does a FPS have an effect on the muzzle dipping when the slide closes?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Does a FPS have an effect on the muzzle dipping when the slide closes?
    Not that I'm aware of. To the best of my knowledge, it's due to an overly-strong recoil spring causing the slide to slam forward harder than intended.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 09-15-2019 at 01:08 PM.

User Tag List