Page 16 of 256 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Anyway, I didn't mean to sound confrontative and I think we are pretty much on the same page.

edited to add: This went over my head. I misremembered this word.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 09-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    About 2 years ago I was in a Pat Mac class and a bunch of CT State SWAT guys were in the class. A few just got their 1911's back from Cerberus after getting refurbished. There were a couple guys with nice single shot 1911's. Their slides were locking back after every round and couldn't understand why. I asked if I could take a look and the problem immediately became apparent. The lobe on the slide lock lever was protruding inboard too far. It was copper colored because the FMJ rounds they were using were bumping into the lobe as they rose up in the magazine causing the slide to lock open. Definite No Go for duty use and mostly useless in class.

CT State Police SWAT no longer uses a 1911.
    That's extremely interesting-thanks for the timely update. And not to unduly chastise the CSP (or Cerberus), but that's another paradigm example why you at least run 50 rounds through a new or refurbished gun upon issue, just to perform a basic live fire function check-especially before duty use (or use in a presumably expensive training course or match...)

I've spoken with Christopher Prevost numerous times over the years, and I was under the impression that he and his outfit specifically were crafting their 1911s themselves; he talked at length about the testing involved, particularly regarding the CERTAC magazines which were my primary interest. is 1911s certainly have a unique, proprietary look, but I never really asked him specifically if they were made in house, or contracted out, or had components contracted out and assembled in-house.

The wadcutter lip profile was chosen due to the CSP's desire not to have full or partially depleted magazines spewing their cartridges out when they were ejected on a cement floor (which will almost certainly happen with Check-Mate's hybrid feed lip magazines; in fact, if a hybrid feedlip magazine is carried loose in a pocket, there's a good chance that the topmost cartridge will work its way out of the magazine)(when the magazines are held in a pouch, it's a non-issue).

As I recall, the CERTACs had some other unique features-I'll have to check mine, but I believe the placement of the witness holes, the configuration of the rear top of the mags and perhaps the gauge/tensility of the tube steel was proprietary. I believe that the followers were a dimple-less variant of Check-Mate's patented, fully skirted metal follower.

The follower dimple "issue" to me is kind of like the GI recoil spring guide rod vs. a full-length guide rod; in my experience, whether or not the follower has a dimple doesn't really seem to make any difference in actual functioning, especially regarding the last round.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-03-2019 at 12:13 PM.

I'm really looking forward to the release of Hilton Yam's 1911 Duty Tune video.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

As a guy who doesn't own a single 1911 this thread has been fascinating, really makes me want to go out and buy one and learn hands-on.

I have two questions for the group:

-What's the consensus on longslide guns? I'm talking 6'' or greater. Are they less reliable than 5''? Do they shoot noticeably better? Are there any specific parts considerations for them? I realize this may be a question with unlimited answers considering how many variables go into a specific 1911, so if this is silly please disregard.

-What are the preferred extended capacity magazines? (lots of great talk about 8 rounders, I'm curious about 10 rounders though). Are 10 rounders seen as a viable or serious use feeding source for a 1911?

Thanks for such a great thread gentlemen!
    Last edited by Tyrok; 09-04-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrok View Post
    -What's the consensus on longslide guns? I'm talking 6'' or greater.

-What are the preferred extended capacity magazines? (lots of great talk about 8 rounders, I'm curious about 10 rounders though). Are 10 rounders seen as a viable or serious use feeding source for a 1911?
    I don't know what the consensus is, but my .02 is anything longer than a 5" gun and any magazine over 8 rounds, in .45 Auto, (and I generally prefer 7 rounders) are novelty items.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrok View Post
    As a guy who doesn't own a single 1911 this thread has been fascinating, really makes me want to go out and buy one and learn hands-on.

I have two questions for the group:

-What's the consensus on longslide guns? I'm talking 6'' or greater. Are they less reliable than 5''? Do they shoot noticeably better? Are there any specific parts considerations for them? I realize this may be a question with unlimited answers considering how many variables go into a specific 1911, so if this is silly please disregard.

Thanks for such a great thread gentlemen!
    A 5" 1911 is the gold standard. I have no experience with 6" guns. Overall weight has to be more. Heavier slide would result in slower slide speed and probably require a different than standard recoil spring weight.

I have tens of thousands of rounds fired using exclusively Chip McCormick 8-Round Power Mags. I look nowhere else. I own 4 10-Round Chip McCormick Power Mags primarily for classes that require 10-round drills. I don't use them as much but they have been flawless too.

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-magazines/

The sample size is pretty limited on long slides. I don’t know anyone who has one.

I barely trust 8 round mags let alone 10, but I’ve never heard anyone complain about Wilson’s in a competition context.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I had a 6", built by the master of the longslide, Jim Hoag. It ran well. The action feels sluggish, but closes with certainty and it liked full power loads.

Regarding the 10 rounders, I think it was Basicload, years ago that said he carried a standard length mag in his carry piece, and that if he had the time when the action started, he'd be running into the fight tac-loading his spare ten rounder into the gun. As a nobody, I can't argue with that plan

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I had a 6", built by the master of the longslide, Jim Hoag.
    And I was just watching Thief.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    And I was just watching Thief.

I've spent some time training with Chuck Taylor and heard his story on how he trained Caan for that movie. That grip is classic old school Weaver, Chuck's preferred method.
    Last edited by JohnO; 09-04-2019 at 08:44 PM.

User Tag List