Page 120 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2556

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Pretty much just mag spring strength. 47Ds are marginal to begin with. They were never meant to feed full power ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Check the mags over.

I’ve seen more extractors killed by 47Ds than anything.

I hate those mags. They inertia puke rounds into the chamber as much as they don’t.
    One of the reasons that I've decided to move all my Wilson mags over to being ETM-Vs, or at least their HD/+P versions with the better springs. The ETM-Vs are pricey and it'll take me some time to replace my HD/+Ps with them, but it'll be worth it I think.

I asked them if they had any plans to sell the ETM-V follower separately and as of my query, that was not in the works, sadly...

I’ve upgraded all my 47D’s with Tripp Super Seven kits and have ETM’s as well.

When you stated “inertia puke rounds into the chamber” I was thinking more along the lines of weak feed lips letting rounds loose. Now I think I see where you’re going. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I’ve upgraded all my 47D’s with Tripp Super Seven kits and have ETM’s as well.
    Can’t remember ever having problems with the ETMs I have, and I’ve recently done the same mod with my two 47Ds. Everything works great so far. I’m thinking all my future .45 mag purchases will be regular 47s for range use, and then metal baseplate 47s and ETMs for carry mags.

The very “meh” Kimber mags I still have are getting relegated to dry fire use and may eventually end up going through Ed Brown’s exchange program to become a few more of their 9mm mags.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Pretty much just mag spring strength. 47Ds are marginal to begin with. They were never meant to feed full power ammo.
    I only have 1 47D. The rest are 47s, ETMs or Vickers

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I only have 1 47D. The rest are 47s, ETMs or Vickers

They’re better but they’re still marginal. They sell the flatwire kits for the ETMs now. The 47+p spring and follower is the same as the 47 10 round and they work very well in the ETMs too but makes them a 7 rounder.

Far out!

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post

Thought experiment re: grip panel thickness

I was perusing the below video where Hilton Yam talks about issues with grip panel thickness, at around the 5:00-6:35 mark:

Quite a few folks on here, along with myself, feel that they benefit from thin grip panels.

So, my question: Is there any disadvantage to pairing a thin RH panel with a standard-thickness LH panel? This seems like it would give you the strong-handed purchase and trigger reach you would want with the thin panels, yet give added surface area for support hand purchase, while retaining the plunger support. If you used VZ panels, their universal bushings are supposed to work with both thick and thin grips:
    https://vzgrips.com/products/1911-gr...universal.html

One obvious downside would be paying for two sets of grip panels, only to discard one of each......unless you convinced a LH shooting buddy of the utility, I suppose.

Any thoughts?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

That sounds like something you could try before buy with shims or building up the grip outer surface. Stare at a piece of carboard sitting next to a roll of duct tape, something will come to you.

User Tag List