Page 206 of 257 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 2561

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Thanks everyone for the input. The 1911 in question runs well so I think I’ll leave it alone for now. If it does start to show issues, I’ll make the adjustments and use the 10-8 test as a litmus.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I wonder if 10 round mags from various manufacturers have various tube lengths.

What if brand A is at the very edge of bottoming out with 10 rounds and compressed spring diameter?
    Wilson themselves sell two different 10 round mag tubes, the version with the rolled feed lips are shorter than the “47” style. I’ve had ok luck with both when using good ammo. Though you can tell there is a lot of friction with the reinforced feed lip style between those thicker feed lips and shorter tube. I don’t trust either for anything other than range use.

I believe Chip McCormicks are of the shorter variety too.

That’s good info to know.

I wonder if Tripp 10s are “longer” tubes?
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I had one of their Freedom Series guns for a time. It shot fine and functioned fine, no problems with it. The slide and frame were of good material and manufacture, but I felt the small parts were cheaply made. I bent the thumb safety while trying to insert it during reassembly and had to replace it. It hadn't taken much force to bend it.

I've bought a few SA guns recently and if their quality is representative of the guns they are building then I'd take a current Springfield over a Fusion without question.

It's totally possible that Fusion's higher end guns are of better quality. They should be for the price.
    Thanks! I’m looking at one of their “Gold” series in .45 (at much less than retail) to scratch an itch but I’m not married to the idea.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks! I’m looking at one of their “Gold” series in .45 (at much less than retail) to scratch an itch but I’m not married to the idea.
    In that case, you aren't risking too much and chances are the gun will run fine. It will not be the same as owning a Gold Cup National Match, of which it is a namesake.

I am thinking that my next gun purchase is going to be a Ronin commander sized pistol, 9mm.
    Got a local G'smith who's good with the 1911.
    I'll have him install a BP ambi safety, and call it good.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I am thinking that my next gun purchase is going to be a Ronin commander sized pistol, 9mm.
    Got a local G'smith who's good with the 1911.
    I'll have him install a BP ambi safety, and call it good.
    I really enjoy my 9mm colt commander. I think it is the perfect size for a potential carry gun.

Been carrying my Springfield RO elite 9mm commander for almost 4 years now.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Been carrying my Springfield RO elite 9mm commander for almost 4 years now.
    I am admittedly late to the 1911 party, but happy to be here nonetheless

10 rd .45 mags update

So another update in my pursuit to get my Wilson CQB to run 10 rd .45 mags reliably.

I was previously having problems with the gun feeding when fully loaded with 10+1 of 230 gr Federal HST. I switched from an 18lb recoil spring down to a 16lb, which seems to have corrected the issue. I ran probably 20 rounds with the gun fully loaded (topping off the mag after every round fired) and it had no issues feeding with the 16lb recoil spring. I also went with a buddy who has a Dan Wesson and we tried the same mags and ammo. He had the same malfunction that I was previously having with 10+1 loaded. His gun has an 18.5lb recoil spring but he was unsure of the mainspring weight. I didn't try the 16lb spring in his gun.

Two possibilities on what was happening (I think):

1. The slide was cycling too fast due to the hotter HST ammo, causing it to "outrun" the magazine spring. Reducing recoil spring weight causes the slide to return to battery more slowly, giving the mag spring more time to lift the round up.

2. The slide was short stroking due to the spring pressure from the magazine. Reduced recoil spring weight allows the slide to travel to the rear more easily. This is usually what happens with other pistols with really stiff mag springs (my P365xl had this happen occasionally before the mags broke in) which is why I had originally thought this might be the issue.

I think the next thing for me to try is to go up from a 21lb mainspring to a 23lb. If it doesn't cause a problem or makes it even better, then theory (1) is probably correct. If it starts malfunctioning again, then (2) is probably the issue.

User Tag List