Page 28 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If you had to buy a budget 1911, that you would have to depend on, what would you get?
    A Springfield Loaded.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    A Springfield Loaded.

That's kind of what I thinking. Maybe a Colt 1991 as well.

If you had to buy a budget 1911, that you would have to depend on, what would you get?

Less than $800.

Not asking because I plan to buy one, but more curious as to the consensus. Budget 1911's seem rather popular. Especially Rock Islands.
    What do you mean by depend on? Carry? Game? Both?

There are some great values out there on the used market right now. If I needed something that had to be reliable I would up my budget $300 and buy used.
    Last edited by MGW; 09-27-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Less than $800.

Not asking because I plan to buy one, but more curious as to the consensus. Budget 1911's seem rather popular. Especially Rock Islands.
    Not to be mean, but 1911's just aren't a cheap game anymore. I think it was Hilton Yam who said if you want a 9mm 1911 which runs reliably to buy a S&W M&P. Caliber aside, the point still holds true.

Having been down this road as a starving college student, through training junkie, and now a middle-aged professional with the waistline to prove it, I wish I had never tried to do a "budget" 1911.

In order of price: Springfield Range Officer Pro, Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, and I would urge anyone as strongly as possible to jump right to the Nighthawk and forgo all of the pain coming from trying to save a penny.

Site Supporter
    Seems like we keep revisiting this theme over and over here. There are valid reasons to spend more on a 1911, but you can get one that works for under $800. The basic Colts -- Series 80 Government, Series 70 Repro, and the new 1911 Classic, can all be had for that money and they tend to work just fine. The Classic comes with a National Match barrel. The SA Mil-Spec is another option. For just a little more, the SA Range Officer and Colt Competition become options. I even see them going for under $800 on the online auction sites.

I own a pricey 1911 and it's a terrific gun. I also have a Rail Gun with a light mounted for my bedside gun. But I would be just fine with a few copies of the basic Colt Series 80 Government Model and nothing else.
    Last edited by Robinson; 09-27-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Site Supporter

Less than $800.

Springfield RO, Ruger SR1911, bare bones Colt or Springfield Mil-spec (if you don't mind GI guns) Kimber Custom II, and RIA at the very bottom of the list for me.

Really if you can do some basic troubleshooting, there will be a ton of options for a gun that will run well.

If you are able to spend just a touch more, my RRA Poly 1911 has been impressing the hell out of me for 900 bucks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I got a very good deal on a 9mm SA Range Officer Operator which I wasn't in the market for, but it was an inexpensive way to get started in the 9mm 1911 game.

With cheap 115 gr FMJ, its initial outing was plagued by failures to return fully to battery. I isolated/fixed minor fit/finish issues one at a time and ended up with a reliable, accurate pistol.; this took some time and TLC, but I didn't have to replace anything.

(I did replace the grips... IMHO, SA should just ship everything with decent quality, basic checkered double diamonds and call it good.)

gn

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post

In order of price: Springfield Range Officer Pro, Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, and I would urge anyone as strongly as possible to jump right to the Nighthawk and forgo all of the pain coming from trying to save a penny.
    Unless you are looking for bragging rights the reasons for going above Dan Wesson in price are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Unless you are looking for bragging rights the reasons for going above Dan Wesson in price are few and far between.
    I once thought so too, but hands on experience proved otherwise.

It’s like saying don’t buy the Mercedes because a Chevy will get you there. Somewhat true, but misses the point. And it’s a difficult point to internalize if you’ve never lived with a Mercedes.

All that being said, I agree that Dan Wesson makes a great product for the price.

Site Supporter
    Springfield Loaded or Ruger in the sub 800.00 for a 5 inch, all steel budget 1911 that I would bet my life on after vetting it with mags/ammo combo.

User Tag List