Page 187 of 256 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

That was also the 2nd/redesign of the mag catch...the original was a bit different.

I've got to say - I've got %100 original WWI M1911s, a handful of original WWII M1911A1s (and a few that took trips through the re-arsenal system), as well as having a smattering of 1970s and later commercial 1911s go through my hands and I've never encountered one that had a weak or malfunctioning mag catch spring. It's never been a part that I've even considered needing to PMCS beyond dismantling it and removing any crud that may have accumulated over the last ...50 to 100 years at this point, in the case of the old ones. They've never needed spring replacement.

Firing pin springs, recoil springs; sure, those get replaced (you should have seen the basically entirely collapsed and now solid firing pin spring that was in the 1918..good thing I never took that one to the range before checking the operating springs). But the sear/leaf spring and mag release springs...just not all that used or cycled compared to the rest? Or at least in the case of the sear spring, it's usage is right in line with it's design, so it never really needs replacement save for damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    That was also the 2nd/redesign of the mag catch...the original was a bit different.

I've got to say - I've got %100 original WWI M1911s, a handful of original WWII M1911A1s (and a few that took trips through the re-arsenal system), as well as having a smattering of 1970s and later commercial 1911s go through my hands and I've never encountered one that had a weak or malfunctioning mag catch spring. It's never been a part that I've even considered needing to PMCS beyond dismantling it and removing any crud that may have accumulated over the last ...50 to 100 years at this point, in the case of the old ones. They've never needed spring replacement.

Firing pin springs, recoil springs; sure, those get replaced (you should have seen the basically entirely collapsed and now solid firing pin spring that was in the 1918..good thing I never took that one to the range before checking the operating springs). But the sear/leaf spring and mag release springs...just not all that used or cycled compared to the rest? Or at least in the case of the sear spring, it's usage is right in line with it's design, so it never really needs replacement save for damage?
    I probably should have commented that the impetus for this was a quicker reload at The Pin Shoot, in the event I really have a bad stage (as in, not hitting 5 pins with 8 rounds). It's Not Good if you need another magazine. Kinda like a slide lock reload in USPSA. I think it was Mas who told me the ultimate left handed comment at Central Lake after a table is "nice reload.".

As from the factory, the mag catch spring in the SA was pretty stout. This is compounded by the fact I am a lefty, and can only manage to hit the mag release with the middle finger of my strong hand, after flipping the gun. When I had my G34, I tried both left and right sides on the timer and it was best for me to leave the gun set up for a righty and just deal with it. Obviously I can't try that on a 1911. Oh and I have shorter fingers, so my leverage is less, also.

So the "need" for the mag catch spring experiment is probably due to my unique set of circumstances, not because there is anything wrong, at all, with the stock part.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I probably should have commented that the impetus for this was a quicker reload at The Pin Shoot, in the event I really have a bad stage (as in, not hitting 5 pins with 8 rounds). It's Not Good if you need another magazine. Kinda like a slide lock reload in USPSA. I think it was Mas who told me the ultimate left handed comment at Central Lake after a table is "nice reload.".

As from the factory, the mag catch spring in the SA was pretty stout. This is compounded by the fact I am a lefty, and can only manage to hit the mag release with the middle finger of my strong hand, after flipping the gun. When I had my G34, I tried both left and right sides on the timer and it was best for me to leave the gun set up for a righty and just deal with it. Obviously I can't try that on a 1911. Oh and I have shorter fingers, so my leverage is less, also.

So the "need" for the mag catch spring experiment is probably due to my unique set of circumstances, not because there is anything wrong, at all, with the stock part.
    There are several types of extended mag catches available. Have you looked at any of those? They might give an opportunity for greater leverage.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The only downside to the thread is its enormity. It's getting difficult to relocate the sub-threads I'm looking for.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I had good luck with EGW products in general. Unless it has changed, you can call and talk with a knowledgeable person. Midwest is another good vendor. Brownell's too. You might ask EGW to recommend a competent outfit to install the safety.
    The thread got kind of quiet, so...

I finished off the Springfield today. I replaced the single side safety with an EGW ambi, and since I had to fit the safety anyway I replaced the MIM OE sear with an STI S7, I replaced the MIM hammer strut with an Ed Brown steel piece, and since I was replacing the sear I fit a new Apex hammer to finish off the receiver. The slide got a new WC "Bullet Proof" extractor and firing pin stop. All springs in the gun were replaced except for the leaf/sear spring which was perfect. I'm still waiting for the new slide release to replace MIM, and fiber optic "pipe" for the front sight.

The gun is still really tight, but had suffered terribly from neglect, I ended up scraping a nasty bullet lube/carbon/partially burned powder sludge from inside the slide around the barrel. Since I still wasn't happy with the cleanliness I borrowed a friends ultrasonic cleaner and ran several cycles with 50/50 Simple Green and distilled water, then rinsed everything well and oiled the heck out of the frame and slide to "recharge" the parkerizing before starting reassembly. A NOS set of Carbon Creation thin grips topped it all off.

The EGW ambi is an interesting design and fit really well with only normal effort. The sleeve that covers the joint between the two halves of the safety required a bit of thought but wasn't a bad experience at all. That safetys in there to stay, that's for certain, and I'm glad I replaced the sear and hammer so I don't have to think about doing it in the future. Everything cycles properly, I may need to play with the extractor tension to see what the gun likes, but again, that's normal.

I thank all of you for your input and your advice. It paid off handsomely.

Bob
    -Thomas Jefferson

I took a one day LAV 1911 Operator's Course.

Good info, good drills and some were challenging. I wished it was 2 days. It was fun but too short!

I shot my duty piece the first half and 1201 the second half.

The class was heavy double stack and Nina. I was a minority shooting 230 hard ball.

LAV was a blast. It did not matter if he knew you or not, if the door opened... you got rocks thrown!

Preparation for cleaning

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Even though my Operator/Range Officer (ORO?) is heavily related to your MCOP, I'm going to end up with a MCOP to go with it. My ORO says to me "we can do it", but your MCOP tells me "we already done did it!"

Yup. Gonna get me an MCOP. Hopefully next. Hopefully better cared for than my ORO (OReO?) was. Even though I stand accused of practically stealing it, I made up for that with all the wear pats I've replaced so far.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    The thread got kind of quiet, so...

I finished off the Springfield today. I replaced the single side safety with an EGW ambi, and since I had to fit the safety anyway I replaced the MIM OE sear with an STI S7, I replaced the MIM hammer strut with an Ed Brown steel piece, and since I was replacing the sear I fit a new Apex hammer to finish off the receiver. The slide got a new WC "Bullet Proof" extractor and firing pin stop. All springs in the gun were replaced except for the leaf/sear spring which was perfect. I'm still waiting for the new slide release to replace MIM, and fiber optic "pipe" for the front sight.

I thank all of you for your input and your advice. It paid off handsomely.

Bob
    Sounds nice; go drop a picture in the 1911 thread in the Gallery forum so we can se her!!

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Even though my Operator/Range Officer (ORO?) is heavily related to your MCOP, I'm going to end up with a MCOP to go with it. My ORO says to me "we can do it", but your MCOP tells me "we already done did it!"

Yup. Gonna get me an MCOP. Hopefully next. Hopefully better cared for than my ORO (OReO?) was. Even though I stand accused of practically stealing it, I made up for that with all the wear pats I've replaced so far.
    My plans for the MCOP are to go red dot, but I am dragging my feet. I don't want a Trijicon set up and I am looking for the lowest mount options to keep my irons on the bottom end.

Hilton Yam is doing a project this year for a single stack 45 and associated holsters. I want to see what direction he goes and how it turned out.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I have been keeping my head in the sand on on pistol optics because I simply don't want to spent the money- just running one on a rifle I get it. Buuuut, I am a fudd/purist/whatever when it comes to an optic on a 1911... I just refuse to put an optic on a 1911!

User Tag List