Page 176 of 256 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Name:  ABFC5C46-7CE7-467D-BF43-7B5613275DEA.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  101.0 KB

I keep a roll of adhesive non-skid tape specifically for front straps.

It’s inelegant, but it works.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Joe commented on the Dan Wessons on the podcast, lamenting that they used to be the best 1911 you could buy for $1,100-1,200… until Dan Wesson realized that point and put that pricing in the rear view mirror.
    Until the new owners prove me wrong, it’s still the best 1911 you can buy for $1600. Which is like $900 pre-Biden.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Fun little update from the recent P&S Modcast for folks looking for base guns to build out: Joe Chambers stated that all recent examples of RIA 1911s have come across his table had frame and small part dimensions that were more correct (fitted to proper 1911 specs) than the Turkish imports, BULs, and recent Springfields that have come across his table.

Presumably, that means the RIA frames and slides might have fewer "gremlins" if built out with proper parts and following a good manual.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the P&S podcast. It's a good one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKD2AXm5EvY

Site Supporter

Love it - Grip info? My Colt needs a pair.

Yup,

Change it about every 4-6 months. GTG!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Love it - Grip info? My Colt needs a pair.
    Herrett grips. I have checkered Herretts on all of the 1911s.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    I tend to like Pachmayr grips that cover the front strap. But I also like them on two tone pistols thay look like the old Combat Specials. I know they don't support the plunger tube. I don't really care though. I tend to stake and also red loctite the plunger tube.

Was actually just running some JHPs through my two tone pistol just to confirm functionality. It didn't like the 220gr +P Hornady...just doesn't group well in this particular gun and had a bolt over base malfunction because the slide outran the magazine.

The 230gr gold dot on the other hand....well let's just say putting three rounds through the same bullet hole at 20 yards makes me a believer.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I tend to like Pachmayr grips that cover the front strap. But I also like them on two tone pistols thay look like the old Combat Specials. I know they don't support the plunger tube. I don't really care though. I tend to stake and also red loctite the plunger tube.

Was actually just running some JHPs through my two tone pistol just to confirm functionality. It didn't like the 220gr +P Hornady...just doesn't group well in this particular gun and had a bolt over base malfunction because the slide outran the magazine.

The 230gr gold dot on the other hand....well let's just say putting three rounds through the same bullet hole at 20 yards makes me a believer.

I have found the 230 Gold dot to be very accurate out of every 45ACP pistol I’ve shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    I have found the 230 Gold dot to be very accurate out of every 45ACP pistol I’ve shot.
    Ordinarily I'm a huge fan of the +P HST but I can only carry that in a 7 round mag because it runs the slide on most of my 1911s so fast it just outruns the 8 round magazines. It probably requires a 22lb recoil spring and my WC ETM HD+P mags to really to an 8 round mag but the extra bullet makes no difference to me.

I just love it because a 230 grainer at 950fps is definitely a manly experience. And it has a terrific reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Ordinarily I'm a huge fan of the +P HST but I can only carry that in a 7 round mag because it runs the slide on most of my 1911s so fast it just outruns the 8 round magazines. It probably requires a 22lb recoil spring and my WC ETM HD+P mags to really to an 8 round mag but the extra bullet makes no difference to me.

I just love it because a 230 grainer at 950fps is definitely a manly experience. And it has a terrific reputation.

An 18.5# recoil spring resolves that slide reciprocating speed. I'm a fan of 230+P hst as well and that has sorted things out for me. Even a 17# spring seems to work with them a bit, but we are talking a round in the mag here and there that just need to be occasionally shot because it has been chambered to my threshold

User Tag List