Page 165 of 256 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2560

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

could it be it just needs to be re-tensioned?
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Maybe, but it’s the original in a 25 plus year old gun with an unknown round count.

But my understanding is extractors are consumables which do wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Attachment 96056

Alright,how can this not work?
    Nope. Still drops cases down the magwell when shot single hand only.

Between this and my m66 I'm getting frustrated lol. I've got working, well vetted backups but there's something about not having the guns I shoot the most close at hand in working order.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Maybe, but it’s the original in a 25 plus year old gun with an unknown round count.

But my understanding is extractors are consumables which do wear out.

Keep in mind that a new extractor usually needs to be blended to sit flush with the rear of the slide.

The extractor in the picture is typical for a replacement and some may not care how it appears.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Keep in mind that a new extractor usually needs to be blended to sit flush with the rear of the slide.

The extractor in the picture is typical for a replacement and some may not care how it appears.

I don’t care how it appears as long as it works reliably. It’s tool.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Question: considering two options for the new extractor: a Wilson Bulletproof or an Aftec ?

Which one and why (or why not)?
    Eh, I would go with the Wilson Combat part which can be tuned in the traditional manner.

The AFTEC extractor is a neat idea that probably works fine, but if you go that route make sure you keep the extractor channel clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The AFTEC extractor is a neat idea that probably works fine, but if you go that route make sure you keep the extractor channel clean.
    Based on?

My first hand experience tends to differ.

I ran my open gun all last year without cleaning it, just oil before each match.well over 5K. Never hiccuped once. I can assure you the extractor channel was far from clean.

Oh, and the Aftec has been in it since day one, which was 23 years ago. Haven’t even used the replacement coil springs. Heck, it even outlasted the barrel and comp that’s since been replaced.

Side note, it took me 3 hours to get it thoroughly clean when the time came.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Based on?

My first hand experience tends to differ.

I ran my open gun all last year without cleaning it, just oil before each match.well over 5K. Never hiccuped once. I can assure you the extractor channel was far from clean.

Oh, and the Aftec has been in it since day one, which was 23 years ago. Haven’t even used the replacement coil springs. Heck, it even outlasted the barrel and comp that’s since been replaced.

Side note, it took me 3 hours to get it thoroughly clean when the time came.
    Did the gun come with it, or did you fit it? Or did you send it out to be fitted?

To properly fit an Aftec you need to make some changes to the firing pin stop, as the FPS acts as a pivot point for the extractor. Basically you need to round the edges where the extractor meets the firing pin stop, so the extractor can be pushed in and out left to right, to and away from the breechface...which is something you do NOT want a normal extractor to do. You need to purposefully nerf part of the system for an Aftec, basically, and not everyone's equipped to do that.

Hell I've had an Aftec kicking around my parts box for more than 15 years now, because I didn't want to wind up fitting a firing pin stop _just_ for that extractor...plus, Aftecs don't work so great for 45 as compared to 38 Super or 9mm from everything I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Did the gun come with it, or did you fit it? Or did you send it out to be fitted?

To properly fit an Aftec you need to make some changes to the firing pin stop, as the FPS acts as a pivot point for the extractor. Basically you need to round the edges where the extractor meets the firing pin stop, so the extractor can be pushed in and out left to right, to and away from the breechface...which is something you do NOT want a normal extractor to do. You need to purposefully nerf part of the system for an Aftec, basically, and not everyone's equipped to do that.

Hell I've had an Aftec kicking around my parts box for more than 15 years now, because I didn't want to wind up fitting a firing pin stop _just_ for that extractor...plus, Aftecs don't work so great for 45 as compared to 38 Super or 9mm from everything I've read.
    It was a custom built gun, and I spec’d it to have an Aftec. I did fit one to my .40, and didn’t remember it being too difficult, though that was a lifetime ago.

I'd recommend a wilson bp as well. Though I have read some of Ned Christiansen's posts with an extremely high mileage Colt and Springfield and he seems to like EGW as well, but I don't have any experience with them.

User Tag List